What did you do Alfa Spider related today? - Page 28 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1127Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #406 of 1803 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 10:41 AM

Garage
Took my son in law for a spin around town yesterday. He loved it. I was torn between leaving the car cold so I could investigate the exhaust leak, and taking him out. In the end I couldn't resist going for drive (and showing off the car) on such a beautiful day, but the exhaust is getting more raucous with every outing, and starting to 'burble' on decel. I suspect the downpipe is split/holed at a heat shield weld as the shield is also making a racket. I have an appointment with a good, independent muffler shop this week to see if it's weldable. If not, I'll probably be getting the Magnaflow 23511. From what I read, though, it sounds like jigging/welding quality of this system can be a little inconsistent, making it difficult for a shadetree mechanic without welding/cutting/grinding tools to get a smooth install. So I might opt to let the shop handle it if labor isn't too high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #407 of 1803 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 11:00 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Began the task of correcting a few electrical control and display issues by removing the rear console and the front console.

The goal is to repair or replace the speedometer, figure out why the turn signal arm doesn't automatically return after left turns, and determine why the seat belt buzzer is inop.

Next step is the removal of the side console covers, followed by the single piece Enbloc knee bolster, then the steering column clamshell, the steering wheel, the combo switch (if necessary) and finally the instrument cluster.

I have removed all of this stuff several times and it never gets much easier or less time consuming.
Attached Images

Edward
'88 Quad - "Claudia"
post #408 of 1803 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 11:05 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman50 View Post
figure out why the turn signal arm doesn't automatically return after left turns
I have the same issue but only after right turns.

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Vin
Norseman50 likes this.

1991 Spider Veloce - Red on Tan - Rosa Bionda
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio - Red on Grey - Rosa - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honey, this is the last thing I have to do, then I'm finished. It'll just be a minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #409 of 1803 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 02:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman50 View Post
determine why the seat belt buzzer is inop.
Funny old world - mine never stops buzzing/chiming and it drives me mad. I have to keep above 60 to drown it out !

Peter

Peter
1991 Spider S4 & 2004 156 GTA Selespeed
post #410 of 1803 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 08:06 AM

Got her new shoes...(tires)...after being to Gulfport a few weeks ago...started getting some vibration...thought I could have lost a weight, or maybe a bad engine mount....but found a "bubble" on the inside of passenger front tire.... thinking it would be easy, called the tire place for a replacement....since two years they don't make these anymore, and no more stocked, all sold! Bought mine 3 years ago, had probably 60-70 % left on wear.... so, bite the bullet bought 4 new....

1974 Spider (Dellorto carburated)
recent previously: 58 Giulietta, 69 Firebird 400 convertible, 71 TR6, 68 GT6
post #411 of 1803 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 06:56 PM

Garage
Got my exhaust leak and rattle fixed at the muffler shop. No broken welds, just one missing and one loose nut holding the down pipe to the manifold. 30 minutes and $40 later she was quieter than ever. Didn't even need the new gasket I brought along; the existing one looked solid and original, so I opted to re-use it.

I think those nuts must have been loose when I picked her up, and working their way off ever since. I felt a little guilty not getting after it sooner and fixing it myself, but it would have been a real pain without the lift and the super-long ratchet extension the shop used, plus the trip to the hardware store to replace the missing nut. Definitely worth the time and aggravation savings to have them do it, and allowed me to have a good look at everything else under the car while it was up. All looked pretty good. Will want to get after the crusty brake lines and fuel hoses as planned, but suspension, engine/trans mount and driveline rubber bits all looked OK.
post #412 of 1803 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 07:12 AM

Garage
Drive, drive , drive!

I just got mine a few weeks ago and Iím going to clean the rear view mirror and clean the radiator fins. I have been obsessed with Alfaís since I was 14, I had an 1982 Fiat Spider when I turned 16 but that was the closest I got to my Italian dream until now. Needless to say, every time Iím in it, I drive it like itís stolen😍
Susan likes this.

Cheers,
Vancheffy
post #413 of 1803 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 08:57 AM

On turn signal canceling: On my early Duetto, the turn signal has a long spring that wraps around a groove on the steering wheel. This spring connects to the turn signal lever, and provides the force to cancel turns. It also runs in a bit of grease to reduce wear, and depends on proper tension to work. Since our cars are aging - better than I am - the spring can stretch a bit and fail to cancel erratically.

All it takes is (Hah! ALL? on an Alfa?) is to shorten it bit. And I mean a BIT. I tightened mine one loop at a time until it worked well.

Robert
post #414 of 1803 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 10:30 AM

no wrap around cancellation spring on the later S3/4 stalks.

its a plastic cam thingy.

Eric did a great breakdown with photos here:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...lean-lube.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #415 of 1803 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 02:54 PM

Garage
Saturday morning. Ignored the chores, left the leaves, ditched the dump run. Took the back roads to a Louisiana bbq joint ( in Connecticut!) for lunch on one of the last warm-enough-for-the-top-down days. Soon it will be only a once a month maintenance drive over the winter months up and down the dry highway with the top up and the heat blasting.
Attached Images

Spending my kids' inheritance one mechanic at a time.
post #416 of 1803 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 06:42 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Loaded the '76 Spider on the trailer for the last event of our autocross season tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #417 of 1803 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 07:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to ALFAROYAL Send a message via MSN to ALFAROYAL Send a message via Yahoo to ALFAROYAL
I sealed the deal on a handshake for a 1982 Spider and will be picking it up on Wednesday.
John533i and Patillack1961 like this.
post #418 of 1803 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 05:45 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAROYAL View Post
I sealed the deal on a handshake for a 1982 Spider and will be picking it up on Wednesday.
Congratulations! Post some pics when you get it.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #419 of 1803 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 03:40 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to garwood1
Replaced the 2 anti-rattle straps on the soft top latches, and while I was in there, finally got 'round to sorting out the interior lamp in the rear view mirror.

Chris
1977 Spider 2000
post #420 of 1803 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 05:45 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Does yesterday count?
Here's a video of our last SCCA autocross of the season; on a small minor league baseball stadium parking lot - coated with driveway sealer. Lots of slipping and sliding for a 44 second run. Sorry for the length, just getting familiar with GoPro and You Tube:

Wille R. likes this.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale

Last edited by conedriver; 11-06-2017 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode