What did you do Alfa Spider related today? - Page 26 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #376 of 1798 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 10:08 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
My new Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFly View Post
Pics, or it didn't happen.
I left it at the shop after the PPI to have some work done. It's quite the lesson in patience.
Attached Images

Susan and 1800ASKMARK like this.

'84 Spider Veloce...Why do I have a feeling this is going to be more expensive than my dog showing hobby was...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 1798 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 11:25 AM

Got a NYS safety inspection done. Passed
Susan likes this.
post #378 of 1798 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Got to Calistoga yesterday after a spirited drive on the 129 and the car went dead literally a half block from our resort. A potential major bummer considering itís our anniversary and we were here for wine tasting. Because I have a side post positive battery terminal thatís stripped (yes, I should have replaced it already) moving it around to get proper contact may have popped the positive cable loose from itís metal tab and allowed it to melt on to the bottom of the exhaust header. Luckily, it didnít burn completely through and I was able to wrap it enough in electrical tape to keep the weekend intact!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1800ASKMARK and SkiBum like this.

Current: 1971 Spider Veloce - rosso; 1986 Spider Veloce - black
Past: 1976 Alfetta GTV - eggplant(?); 1979 Alfetta Sprint Veloce - white
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #379 of 1798 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 03:38 PM

Garage
Since I have "Juliet" running well after sitting for almost 20 years it was time to tackle the electrical mess that comes with PO's and years of sitting. Thanks to PapaJam I have some nice color wiring diagrams to work with, which I blew them up to Arch 3 size so I can read them without my glasses or from down the block... I had suspected the column switch was bad so I pulled the steering wheel and pulled the switch off the column. Jumping the switch I got all the lights to work so I was right, the switch was bad. Probably because Alfa in their infinite wisdom wired in no relay for the lights so all the amperage runs through the contacts.... Just a matter of time before that fails! So, I ordered a new switch from Vick Auto for an arm and a leg and am awaiting its arrival to continue on my quest to get her back on the road.
I am grateful to find and be on this site. Lotsa helpful Alfistas here and hope to contribute anything I possibly can to the awesomeness of the forums....
post #380 of 1798 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 06:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to spiderJohnNH Send a message via Skype™ to spiderJohnNH
Having a good time in Maine, despite a foggy and rainy day today. We had intermittent showers yesterday during the Italian car show at the Italian Heritage Center in Portland. The weather forecast is looking up. Name:  DSCN1188.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  37.4 KB

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Velocemoto and Sfizio like this.

John R
So. NH, USA --'87 Spider Veloce
See you along the road - member of AROC/AONE

other current members of the fleet

2017 VW Jetta Tsi
2006 Subaru Outback - almost a driveway requirement in VT & NH
2007 Toyota Corolla

previous
2009 VW Jett TDi (Deer took this one out)
1984 Mercedes 300TDT wagon, rust took that one
1972 Mercedes 280SE, got in straight swap for the Discovery
1996 Land Rover Discovery
1986 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon
1962 VW Bug - 6 volt
1974 Triumph Spitfire - wobbly driveshaft kept destroying stuff
1972 Triumph Spitfire - got totaled while parked at DMV

some others that were less interesting
post #381 of 1798 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 08:44 PM

Garage
I did the real fix on my emergency brake lever today after work. Filed and reshaped a couple of worn ratchet teeth, and resharpened the pawl piece itself.

I'm taking Conedriver's advice also, and pushing in the button as I raise the lever, to lessen the wear on the pawl. Works just fine again! Wish I could have hardened the pawl with a torch, but all I have is a butane soldering torch and that won't put out enough heat to get the steel up to a red/yellow temperature.

alfaloco
Lexington, KY USA
post #382 of 1798 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 06:54 PM

Picked Up My Spider Today After Paint & Final Bodywork, For All Of You "anti-red" People The Car Was Originally Red (ar514?) So I Stayed With Red - Rosso Corsa (ferrari red), I Think It Came Out "perfect"; Better Then I Expected. -John
Attached Images

Susan, Velocemoto, Sfizio and 3 others like this.
post #383 of 1798 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 05:57 AM

Garage
This weekend was oil pressure gauge sensor change and oil change. Then washed her up and took her for a long country ride.
Sfizio likes this.
post #384 of 1798 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 10:20 AM

Garage
Okay, so it's more like 'this week' than 'today', but I've been joyriding around every day since getting my '85 back on the road last week after taking her down to replace the in-tank fuel pump, flush fluids and the OVS, re-torque the head, rejuvenate the leather seats and perform a bunch of other miscellaneous maintenance, cleaning, and inspection.

She started right up and ran great after sitting for five weeks, but I think I need to have a look at the Aux Air Valve as she needs to have the throttle cracked to start, and does not fast-idle when cold. Also, she seems to have developed an exhaust leak somewhere around the manifold-to-downpipe connection. I'm hoping it's just the gasket, but haven't investigated thoroughly enough to be sure. I expect to encounter a lot of things like this over the coming months as she's getting driven a lot more frequently - and probably harder (ref. 'Italian Tune-up' ) - than she has for years.

The fuel mileage continues to amaze me, averaging around 35 MPG with little variation from city to highway or with changes in driving style. A big part of this is that most of my driving is above 6000 feet, and the EFI is metering out proportionally less fuel all the time. I look forward to someday getting her down to sea level and letting all 115 horses out of the corral.

The one disappointment is that she still seems to have a fuel-delivery issue when the level gets much below half a tank. The new pump started moaning about 40 miles into the shake-down cruise, and I felt a slight hesitation under acceleration through a hard left-hander shortly thereafter. It only took 7.5 gallons to fill up, and I can still hear some pump noise now where I hadn't noticed anything at first.

Given the aforementioned superlative fuel mileage, it won't be difficult to keep the level above half, but I'd like to know that I can take it down closer to empty in a pinch without a problem. The main pump and filter were replaced less than 2 years and 2000 miles ago along with the in-tank pump by the PO's shop, and the old pump screen looked pretty clean, but I suppose it's possible things are crudded up with dirt/rust/varnish, causing back-pressure problems for the new in-tank pump. I installed it with a proper stepped hose, screen, and even an NOS rubber isolator in the bracket so there shouldn't be any problem lifting fuel from a low level.

So far so good otherwise, and I'm loving the open-air driving experience!
Attached Images

post #385 of 1798 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 11:21 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Picture tells a thousand words
Attached Images

rabhalter likes this.
post #386 of 1798 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 01:49 PM

Brundlefly, the better I get my car running, the worse the fuel economy gets I've noticed. Figures!

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
post #387 of 1798 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 07:18 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
After nearly passing out from gas fumes with the top and windows up on Tue I left her at the shop for new fuel filler hose and all the other hoses back there to be replaced. But before I took her I had a colleague show me how to clean the electrical connections on the license plate lights.. None worked, but now two work.. I'm going into the garage shortly to work on the third (which worked on the bench with a battery....).

'84 Spider Veloce...Why do I have a feeling this is going to be more expensive than my dog showing hobby was...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #388 of 1798 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 12:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John533i View Post
Brundlefly, the better I get my car running, the worse the fuel economy gets I've noticed. Figures!
Good point. Maybe I shouldn't be so pleased.
post #389 of 1798 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFly View Post
The one disappointment is that she still seems to have a fuel-delivery issue when the level gets much below half a tank. The new pump started moaning about 40 miles into the shake-down cruise, and I felt a slight hesitation under acceleration through a hard left-hander shortly thereafter. It only took 7.5 gallons to fill up, and I can still hear some pump noise now where I hadn't noticed anything at first.
is there excessive vacuum in the tank when you fill up? (ie. does air woosh in when you remove the gas cap)
if so, might be the blocked/bad check valves by the fuel vapour canister in the trunk.
Next time it gets below 1/2 tank, loosen or remove the gas cap and see if thngs improve.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #390 of 1798 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 07:14 AM

not yesterday , but Wednesday...drove it to the Alfa Mechaninic for electrical gremlins...most likely bad grounds or short somewhere.....when I drove to Gulfport two weeks ago, 6 hrs , no problem , just cruising along...by the time I passed Bay St Louis, suddenly three gauges dropped ded, Fuel, oil, Temp...and generator (Alt) light cam on....as I was 20 minutes away I kept going....arrived at my destination...checked fan belt, it was still there...thought it may be alternator, so looked up pricing on it from Vicks...but it was wed night and had to go back to Houston Saturday (but due to hurricane coming we left Friday)...not sure I could get it overnight plus installed...took to mechanic there , (who did not know Alfas, had no wiring diagram and said they were stumped)...told him to just check if it charged...it did...so I drove it back w/o gauges and red light on on dash....almost back in Houston (where streets got a bit bumpier!) gauges worked off and on a few times... drove it here over the weekend, gauges worked almost all the time...TYPICAL! when you take it in , you don't want it to work.....lol
so now I left it after explaining, hopefully he can find something....

1974 Spider (Dellorto carburated)
recent previously: 58 Giulietta, 69 Firebird 400 convertible, 71 TR6, 68 GT6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode