What did you do Alfa Spider related today? - Page 23 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1131Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #331 of 1807 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 08:43 PM

I've spent 2 days, 4hrs each day, detailing my car for the first time- using Griot's Garage products. By hand, because I didn't have an orbital. Lot's of work, but worth it! I've never worked on the paint on this beast before- lots of work. But worth it in the end! I used to love detailing my cars, but it's more of a PITA for me these days

It's worth it in the end, though.
Attached Images

farleybob and LaurandSteve like this.

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 1807 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 04:25 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Reassembling the clutch pressure plate & Aluminum flywheel friction disc. Naturally, a week before we planned to leave for the SCCA solo national Championship in Nebraska, the clutch began slipping at a local autocross event

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #333 of 1807 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 11:37 AM

Garage
I got my 91 Spider Veloce back from the paintshop. It was looking a bit tired and the top needed painting...Sorry I only had my iPhone with me.

Now six weeks wait to let the paint gas out before before a polishing, sealing and waxing fest!

Before:

During:

After:

Peter

Peter
1991 Spider S4 & 2004 156 GTA Selespeed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 1807 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 07:39 AM

Garage
Drove her!!!

I have been using my Spider every day here in So NJ since the weather has been Perfect!!, Hope I can until the snow hits... WITH NO ISSUES.

rob

Rob S,Cur,84 Spider,,91 164l,Prev 01 XK8,77 spider,87 Milano,91 164L ,81 Spider,81 380SL,63 BJ8 Healey, 76 Spider,79 Spider,90 quad spider.348 Ferrari spider.Harleys
post #335 of 1807 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 12:32 PM
Platinum Subscriber

The clutch friction disc for a 30+ year old Tilton Aluminum flywheel was almost unobtanium. But, after a frantic search, Wes Ingram's partner Herb Sanborn helped me find a source in California. Just buttoned up everything, and everything works. Next step, load the car on the trailer to leave Tuesday for a leisurely trip to Nebraska for our 45th year of SCCA Solo Nationals competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conedriver View Post
Reassembling the clutch pressure plate & Aluminum flywheel friction disc. Naturally, a week before we planned to leave for the SCCA solo national Championship in Nebraska, the clutch began slipping at a local autocross event

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #336 of 1807 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 08:40 PM

Got my new to me 81 started for the first time. I think it hadn't run in about 8 years....also got it to move under its own power....so, a great day all around!

Cheers
Tush
John533i and spiderJohnNH like this.
post #337 of 1807 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 10:46 AM

1980 Spider Weber Conversion

Just finished rebuilding a set of Weber DCOE40 carbs for my 1980 Spider. Carbs were completely disassembled, Vapor Blasted, re-jetted and fitted with 33mm choke tubes. Next on the list is matching the ports on my "Euro" intake manifold to the cylinder head and powder coating the "Euro" air cleaner.
Attached Images

John533i and LaurandSteve like this.

www.motomotivo.com
post #338 of 1807 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:45 PM

Garage
Picked up a good friend and we drove my spider to Put in Bay, Ohio. Vintage racing on the island was fantastic. Lots of Alfas!
post #339 of 1807 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 11:42 AM

Garage
Called my congressman to demand that he vote NO! on pending legislation to strip states of their right to regulate "Autonomous vehicles"!
First they will be a novelty, then mandated, and OUR cars banned as "Unsafe".
Susan likes this.

Twin-Cam Hemi, Webers, Headers, Overdrive, Disc brakes, and no emissions equipment to spoil it all. These are gonna be FUN rides!
post #340 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Installed Coolant Recovery Tank

I decided to minimize the air space in the upper part of my radiator and to install a coolant recovery tank. This will improve my cooling system capabilities.

Since I drive my Duetto every weekend for a couple of hours, I decided to install a Coolant Recovery Tank using an expansion tank from a MGB.

I removed the windshield washer bag, drilled two holes, and mounted the MGB coolant expansion tank via its mounting strap.
I installed a 1750 style radiator cap to maintain a tight seal for the return of the cooling coolant.
I used 3/16 hose from radiator to a 3/16 to 5/16 fitting to 5/16 hose to the recovery tank.
All with hose clamps.
I installed a vented radiator cap on the recovery tank.
I filled the radiator as much as I could and burped the air by squeezing the thermostat hose.

So far, works great. Good visible cycling of the water temperature needle.
I usually run at about 130 km/hr on the highway.

My next task will be to add a radiator bleed at the upper, center part of the radiator, so I can bleed most of the air out of the coolant system. (RED dot in last photo)
This is similar to what is used on the front radiators for the Ferrari 308. I purchased the bleed screw from the Ferrari Parts Exchange.
Mine will be positioned higher than the Ferrari one to minimize the air space.

This should improve the cooling capabilities of my system and minimize the aeration of the coolant.
Attached Images

Richard

1969 1750 Spider Veloce USA AR1480672 Engine 00551 01163 Red / Black - work in progress
1978 Ferrari 308 GTS #26355 Red/Tan FCA Platinum Winner Pacific Region

post #341 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 05:45 PM

Other than try to tape up my S4 mirror that some jack wagon broke, not much. Since I sold my house I have no more garage for now. I was just getting ready to drop my Spider off to get motor mounts, trailing arm bushings and pan guard replaced. And I see this on the way out. Nice! At least I had some matching duct tape to keep it from flopping around on the freeway. I found a used one from APE in the same color thankfully. Not cheap $150, but better than $266 or $377 new and unpainted.
Attached Images

current and or past: 1987 Milano (Ariel) 1984 GTV6 (Sabrina) 1992 164L (Jill) 1992 164S (Kelly) 1989 Spider Veloce (Julie) 1991 164L (Chris) 1991 Spider (Melissa)

Last edited by AlfaTango1; 09-12-2017 at 09:38 AM.
post #342 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
Put mine up in the air in anticipation of Hurricane Harvey

It won't save it in a washout, but hopefully the extra 8 inches will give it a measure of protection.
I'm pleased to report that we avoided flooding in the storm - the insurance wasn't necessary, but it was good for peace of mind.
John533i likes this.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo

Last edited by nealric; 09-12-2017 at 08:13 AM.
post #343 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaTango1 View Post
Other than try to tape up my S4 mirror that some jack wagon broke, not much. Since I sold my house I have no more garage for now. I was just getting ready to drop my Spider off to get motor mounts, trailing arm bushings and pan guard replaced. And I see this on the way out. Nice! At least I had some matching duct tape to keep it from flopping around on the freeway. I found a use one from APE in the same color thankfully. Not cheap $150, but better than $266 or $377 new and unpainted.
Here's an old thread about repairing your mirrors. It's missing some pics but I was able to use it to repair mine as both were broken and glued back together by a prior owner. Even if you replace your broken one it's probably a good idea to repair the broken one and keep as a spare

The fix works great. I just have to figure out why the motors only move mirror in one direction (down). Could be a bad switch i guess.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...s-options.html

1991 Alfa Spider Veloce
2001 BMW 530i
2006 BMW X5 4.8is
1993 Saab 900S convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird convertible
post #344 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:26 PM

Driving home from work today in my '73 Spider (top down, of course) a guy came alongside me on the freeway, rolled down his window and yelled something that sounded like "brake.....". When home I determined that the good samaritan was telling me that I had no brake lights. Fuse (#2) was OK so I shifted my attention to the brake switch. Pulled it out and quickly determined that the switch was toast. A trip to the basement and rummaging around in the "Alfa Electrical Parts" bin uncovered a brand new, unopened, brake switch (doesn't every Alfa owner have one?....). 10 minutes later, brake lights restored. Time for a celebratory cocktail!
post #345 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 08:13 AM

Installed the engine, trans + rebuilt driveshaft in my '76 resto project car. Trying to get it running to drive to my upholstery guy for a new top this coming week, before the rains start in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode