What did you do Alfa Spider related today? - Page 20 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1133Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #286 of 1807 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 05:01 PM

Garage
Took a spirited late afternoon drive on the twisty back roads of New Canaan, Connecticut (Land of Lamborghini, fiefdom of Ferrari, and all the kids drive BMWs). Came to a stop sign and had to yield to a brand new shiny red Ferrari 458 turning left. As he turns in front of me, the young man behind the wheel pokes his head out the window and says to me "nice car!"

Right there. That's why I drive an Alfa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 1807 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 10:13 AM

Garage
So after updating the original S4 radio to a BT Apline head unit with the compact Alpine Amp under the dash. And installing new 5 1/4" rear speakers, I had a pretty decent system but it was limited by the small speakers. So after lots of measuring and McGyvering, I templated and built a new parcel shelf deck to go right over the original. Removed the 5 1/4" speakers and used the holes in the original deck to get the depth for the new Alpine 6x9 ovals. I lost about 1 3/4" of depth from the shelf but the sound quality is much better! Also had to move the access panel over a bit to make room for the new speakers. Picked up a carpet remnant at a local auto upholstery shop and its nearly like original in appearance. And no cutting or permanent mods that can't be reversed easily up the road if desired. Sounds and looks pretty good though, Don't think it's coming out! Pics of the finished deck with speakers installed and also of the cardboard template I used. The deck is 1/4" cabinet grade plywood with 1 1/2" spacing blocks and front edge strip.
Attached Images

Ragnomaniac likes this.
post #288 of 1807 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Today I took my 10 year old granddaughter for her first Alfa "tops down" ride. After 10 years of sitting backwards or on a booster chair it was time. Front seat, lap seat belt and wind in her face. She was totally thrilled. Looking forward to the next time, just have to figure a way to break it to her mother.
Cheers, Jon
alfabeach, goats, John533i and 1 others like this.

Present:
1967 Spider
1974 GTV (1969 Tribute)
1993 Spider ( project)
2018 Stelvio
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #289 of 1807 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
The list of issues finally grew large enough for me to make an appointment to have the spider checked out:
• Dipstick tube loose and leaking
• Rear seal likely leaking
• Oil pan leaking
• Fuel gauge not functioning
• Exhaust backdrafting in through a hole (?) in center tunnel (enough so that I have to keep the top down)
• Continuous gas smell in trunk
• Maybe a tune-up on the carbs for good measure

Current: 1971 Spider Veloce - rosso; 1986 Spider Veloce - black
Past: 1976 Alfetta GTV - eggplant(?); 1979 Alfetta Sprint Veloce - white
post #290 of 1807 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Replaced the voltage regulator, gave her a wash, and took a nice long drive along the curvy, wooded lakeside boulevard.
John533i likes this.
post #291 of 1807 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmanners
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Orange View Post
I know this post is over a year old, but it's a persistent myth that just needs to be corrected (all due respect to rcmanners). A quick lookup of the Zymol MSDS documention on their vinyl products shows the presence of polysiloxanes in both available products. Which means, yes, Zymol Vinyl does indeed contain silicone.
I know this is getting off topic, but I'd like to make sure that the record is straight here...

I'd like to see the source for the MSDS data you have that indicates that Zymol Vinyl has any type of silicone in it.

I have checked the MSDS from the Zymol site and there is no indication that I can see to back up your claim.

Zymol MSDS

Looks like similar info here:

https://whatsinproducts.com/types/ty...ner/26-001-019

All searching I've done indicates the same.

I will admit I'm no chemist, but in all the documentation I found for Zymol Vinyl, I can see no mention of the term "polysiloxanes" nor can I see any ingredient that has a chemical structure that includes silicon (a necessary ingredient in silicone).

Since you seem to work in the trade, I will admit that you may have resources that I do not have ready access to, but the fact that you work for a competitor of Zymol, and that you talk up the capabilities of your product containing silicone, requires a little scrutiny.

There seems to be a lot of car enthusiasts that swear at (and some that swear by) silicone in car care products, and maybe your company has produced a product that includes silicone that bucks the trend. That would be incredible!

For me, all I can say is that my 30 year old dashboard is still crack-free after using nothing but Zymol Vinyl since I bought it in 2000. My first 1987 Alfa Spider's dash was also crack free from new until it was totalled.

1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce in Alfa Rosso (my 2nd)
post #292 of 1807 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 06:51 AM

Garage
take the long way home

Drove from Montreal home to Connecticut after wandering through the Concorso in the morning. Took the back roads all the way. Easy crossing at Rouses point. Got a second drive through the islands and when Sunday traffic got heavy on Route 7, I jumped over to 22A for a fast run through the hay fields. Made it home in just over nine hours. I should have kept the top up though. Driving south for so long, I got sun burn on the right half of my face.
radamm and Ragnomaniac like this.

Spending my kids' inheritance one mechanic at a time.
post #293 of 1807 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 03:26 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to spiderJohnNH Send a message via Skype™ to spiderJohnNH
We made it home today. Spent last night in the Burlington, VT area. Made it home with right rear brakes with no pad left on the inside pad. Had it checked out at Pierre's Repairs in Burlington. We did top up most of the way due to the sun.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

John R
So. NH, USA --'87 Spider Veloce
See you along the road - member of AROC/AONE

other current members of the fleet

2017 VW Jetta Tsi
2006 Subaru Outback - almost a driveway requirement in VT & NH
2007 Toyota Corolla

previous
2009 VW Jett TDi (Deer took this one out)
1984 Mercedes 300TDT wagon, rust took that one
1972 Mercedes 280SE, got in straight swap for the Discovery
1996 Land Rover Discovery
1986 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon
1962 VW Bug - 6 volt
1974 Triumph Spitfire - wobbly driveshaft kept destroying stuff
1972 Triumph Spitfire - got totaled while parked at DMV

some others that were less interesting
post #294 of 1807 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 05:30 PM

Garage
Drove my 69 boat tail from San Francisco to San Diego to visit son and then drove back a couple of days later, all with the top down. I was so surprised at the number of thumbs up I got, especially from Porsche drivers. Great time.
spiderJohnNH and LaurandSteve like this.

[I]Sergio[/I]
95 164 LS red
87 Milano Verde Black - gone to pieces
69 Boat tail silver

"I dont' think it means what you think it means"
"it's not a question of where you grip it"
post #295 of 1807 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 11:03 PM

Just finished pulling the orginal non LSD diff off the Spider. What a mess!!! And the best part is, when I turn the pinion shaft, it sounds like a coffee can with three bolts being shaken! And it binds up and clanks!

I suspect a broken tooth or five in the crown wheel!

Dirty, Dirty job under there.

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #296 of 1807 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 12:03 AM

Garage
Changed out the '79 Spider transmission oil.
In addition to what may have been original thirty-five year old oil I also got, a bolt head, lock tab, and three synchro teeth!
So it looks like I will be doing a trans rebuild and exchange.
Very disappointing as I want to DRIVE it.
I already have a rusty '78 as a project car.

Twin-Cam Hemi, Webers, Headers, Overdrive, Disc brakes, and no emissions equipment to spoil it all. These are gonna be FUN rides!
post #297 of 1807 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 07:48 AM

WOW! That's like putting a penny in a Vegas slot machine and coming up JACKPOT! Trans rebuild is not too bad really, at least it fits on the bench. But parts are getting pricey for dog gears and reverse gears and the like ---

My differential is headed to autopsy in the next couple of weeks and from there to its final resting place at the metal recycling yard I suspect. I have another one 4:10 LSD almost ready to install, gotta clean everything up in there before though. It is truly a collection of 46 years of grime. IN some spots the grime is 1/4 inch thick and I am using a putty knife to scrape it off.
Like you RIchard I am eager to drive this car-- been 18 months me working on it since I got it Jan 2016. My goal was always to drive it in 2 years with only cosmetics remaining. If I can keep my nose to the grindstone I think its doable. But that's a BIG IF!!!

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #298 of 1807 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 01:28 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to spiderJohnNH Send a message via Skype™ to spiderJohnNH
The amazing Sfizio
Attached Images

Sfizio and Ragnomaniac like this.

John R
So. NH, USA --'87 Spider Veloce
See you along the road - member of AROC/AONE

other current members of the fleet

2017 VW Jetta Tsi
2006 Subaru Outback - almost a driveway requirement in VT & NH
2007 Toyota Corolla

previous
2009 VW Jett TDi (Deer took this one out)
1984 Mercedes 300TDT wagon, rust took that one
1972 Mercedes 280SE, got in straight swap for the Discovery
1996 Land Rover Discovery
1986 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon
1962 VW Bug - 6 volt
1974 Triumph Spitfire - wobbly driveshaft kept destroying stuff
1972 Triumph Spitfire - got totaled while parked at DMV

some others that were less interesting
post #299 of 1807 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:22 AM

Garage
Spent the evening moving projects around to get the black '79 "Not supposed to be a project, just minor adjustments" Spider inside to work on it.
Did finally drive it, about twenty miles, then lost oil pressure and developed a rod knock!
So I will miss the FOC Hill-Climb as a driver again this year.

In addition to the trans refresh I now get to rebuild the bottom end.
Would rather just sell this one and complete the '78 for next year but it seems project Spiders have no value at all.
So I will get to put another couple grand into it and have to drive the value out of it or take a big loss.
If it were not totally rust-free i would take the immediate loss.
Not as much fun as the '78 SNO Spider will eventually be as it is so nearly stock.

Twin-Cam Hemi, Webers, Headers, Overdrive, Disc brakes, and no emissions equipment to spoil it all. These are gonna be FUN rides!
post #300 of 1807 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 05:52 AM

Garage
Finally added an emergency hood release cable to my '88 Spider.Total cost was less than $5 at the hardware store, 2.5 feet 1/16 stainless aircraft cable, ferrules, a grommet and a horse shoe clamp. I hope I never need it !!

1988 Spider Graduate (Sofia)
'06 Ford Explorer

Last edited by quartrsawn; 08-03-2017 at 06:00 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode