What did you do Alfa Spider related today? - Page 17 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1128Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #241 of 1806 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 09:46 AM

Changed out my trans and differential gear oils ordered and used Redline 75-90w and 75-90WNS. Haven't brought it down yet cause I want to replace a bad speedo cable. Next week looks like good sunny whether to go for a ride with the misses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1806 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 06:03 AM
Gold Subscriber

Pulled the transmission and starting a rebuild!

Name:  IMG_8791.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  55.7 KB

Vin
spiderserie4 and gmilke like this.

1991 Spider Veloce - Red on Tan - Rosa Bionda
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio - Red on Grey - Rosa - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honey, this is the last thing I have to do, then I'm finished. It'll just be a minute.
post #243 of 1806 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Getting ready for autocross season with the '76 Spider. The #4 exhaust valve clearance is .002 in. too tight. I have the Wes Ingram cam chain adjuster modification so, with just one rear cam bucket to remove, I'm gonna back off the chain tension bolt, remove the cam bearing caps, lift the cam, and and see if I can get the bucket and shim out without splitting the chain and completely removing the cam. Heresy or laziness?. If this scheme doesn't work, I know how to do the procedure properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 1806 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 AM

George,

I'm Not Familiar With Wes Ingram's Cam Chain Adjuster Modification. What Is It & How Does It Work?

-John
post #245 of 1806 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 10:23 AM

Garage
Definitely been trying to assess/recover the level of originality of my '85' series 3 Spider.
Why? Prior to '86 these cars had a couple of specificities, interior-wise, of which the most relevant is the dual pod that holds the tacho and the speedometer which was dropped from '86 onwards. Unfortunately there are a handful of smaller details that I am trying to catch up with, being the most difficult so far to get a "new" gear knob since the one my car has was obviously painted black and looks well, passable...

A list of what I have found so far:

- the framing of the heater levers. Like a series 2 but black instead of chrome;
- the ashtray. Dunno if any series 2 had one like it but from '86 onwards it became full black plastic, until then it was all metal with a chrome surrounding;
- the aforementioned gear knob which is suposed to be faux wood with white shiftting schematic but with time and wear an tear it becomes plan white... very hard to find!
- the head rests are, I believe, the same as 2 series, small and concave. They became larger and rectangular later on;
- the Hellebore steering wheel then became an all black plastic dull one;
post #246 of 1806 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 06:58 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to spiderJohnNH Send a message via Skype™ to spiderJohnNH
I took advantage of a rare nice afternoon yesterday. We had about six inches of heavy wet snow on Saturday, but it was sunny and warm on Sunday and yesterday - getting up to 65 Deg. F which dried up most of the melt water in the streets. I went for a 25 minute run with the top down at 5pm and then top up and a quick run to a store after dinner.

Back under cover in the garage today as it is 39 deg and raining all day today. Such is our variable weather. Car ran great! Was a joy to get it warmed up and out and about.

John

John R
So. NH, USA --'87 Spider Veloce
See you along the road - member of AROC/AONE

other current members of the fleet

2017 VW Jetta Tsi
2006 Subaru Outback - almost a driveway requirement in VT & NH
2007 Toyota Corolla

previous
2009 VW Jett TDi (Deer took this one out)
1984 Mercedes 300TDT wagon, rust took that one
1972 Mercedes 280SE, got in straight swap for the Discovery
1996 Land Rover Discovery
1986 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon
1962 VW Bug - 6 volt
1974 Triumph Spitfire - wobbly driveshaft kept destroying stuff
1972 Triumph Spitfire - got totaled while parked at DMV

some others that were less interesting
post #247 of 1806 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:36 AM

I replaced the last piece of the 'gas smell' puzzle yesterday- the fuel filler hose and the rubber catch/drain in my S3. The hose was really stiff and a PITA to get on; I had to boil it, and even then I had to lube up the gas tank neck and the other end also with dish soap to slide it in. It worked, though! No more fuel vapors. The last rubber thing in the fuel circuit; wouldn't you know it.

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
post #248 of 1806 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 01:26 PM

Yesterday was my first Alfa drive of the season. I took my car to the shop for the spring inspection. Driving a real car was so much fun! I almost forgot how good it is since the end of last season. While I was waiting for my car another customer remarked that I enjoy life. He said you can tell when someone is happy. I told him that driving my Alfa makes me happy.

All Alfa drives are good ones. There is something special about the first one each season. The last of a season is special too but sort of bittersweet.

Driving my Alfa made it a good day!
esc2064, John533i and 74GTVeloce like this.

1991 Spider Veloce
1977 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II
post #249 of 1806 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:10 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Finished the new soft top install. Even with Gadwhite's most excellent instructions, a copy of the official Alfa Romeo Convertible Manual, and a high quality fabric top (with padded quarters and pre-punched rear stud holes) from Classic Alfa the process was still quite a PITA.
Had to repaint the entire frame due to excessive rust (I used POR-15 semi-gloss black top coat) and replace 5 broken studs I discovered in the water channel after removing the old top.
Once I had the front and back attached, I was unable to latch the roof. I loosened the frame bolts and lowered the frame about 1/8" and still couldn't do it.
Finally found a small note about utilizing 2 turnbuckle assemblies (to use between the top frame and door pillar) in the main shop manual (see step 6. reproduced below). Fabricated a pair from parts found at Home Depot, hooked them up, and was able to slowly winch the front bow close enough to latch the top down, but then the frame sides were too low to get the chrome edge guide screws past the trim. Loosened the frame bolts/nuts and forced it back up so I could get the edge guides installed.
It's as tight as a drum but it's done. I dread having to re-latch the roof when I let it down for the first time for more than a few minutes.
Attached Images

spiderserie4 and Yachtman like this.

Last edited by Norseman50; 04-05-2017 at 06:05 AM. Reason: add a few more pictures
post #250 of 1806 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:17 AM
Lin
Gold Subscriber

Did you try using a room heater inside the car or parking the car in the sunshine to heat up the material? This causes it to stretch. You do want a nice tight fit.
Lin

Lin

1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio
1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite
1960 Austin Healey 3000 MKI
1964 Jaguar MK2 - current resto project
1969 Mercedes Benz 280SL

post #251 of 1806 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:10 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Did you try using a room heater inside the car or parking the car in the sunshine to heat up the material? This causes it to stretch. You do want a nice tight fit.
Lin
Yes. Since I did this project over the winter (in my garage), I used a space heater to warm it up. I managed to get the air a little over 70 degrees F. That helped a bit, but latching it was still very difficult, and the top is still very tight. Hopefully when the weather improves and I can get her out in the sun it will help.

Edward
'88 Quad - "Claudia"
post #252 of 1806 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:15 AM
Lin
Gold Subscriber

Sounds good. Good luck!
Lin
Norseman50 likes this.

Lin

1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio
1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite
1960 Austin Healey 3000 MKI
1964 Jaguar MK2 - current resto project
1969 Mercedes Benz 280SL

post #253 of 1806 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to spiderJohnNH Send a message via Skype™ to spiderJohnNH
We had weather that was 'just right' for the annual South shore ride today.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
esc2064 and Velocemoto like this.

John R
So. NH, USA --'87 Spider Veloce
See you along the road - member of AROC/AONE

other current members of the fleet

2017 VW Jetta Tsi
2006 Subaru Outback - almost a driveway requirement in VT & NH
2007 Toyota Corolla

previous
2009 VW Jett TDi (Deer took this one out)
1984 Mercedes 300TDT wagon, rust took that one
1972 Mercedes 280SE, got in straight swap for the Discovery
1996 Land Rover Discovery
1986 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon
1962 VW Bug - 6 volt
1974 Triumph Spitfire - wobbly driveshaft kept destroying stuff
1972 Triumph Spitfire - got totaled while parked at DMV

some others that were less interesting
post #254 of 1806 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 02:49 PM

Darn near cracked the oil pan open three times in fifteen minutes... gotta lift her up an inch or two... prosac just won't cut it any more...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
post #255 of 1806 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 03:04 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Was on a nice little drive today when suddenly I saw the voltage gauge had dropped from it's usual 12-13 range down to around 7-8 volts. Then the "Battery" warning light came on. Looks like I have a "remove alternator and test" project in my near future, and just when the weather had started to get nice.
John533i likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode