What did you do Alfa Spider related today? - Page 12 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 953Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 1655 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 07:35 PM

Garage
I walked a little slower while leaving the garage, and staring at it!! ��������������
��

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 1655 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 07:20 PM

Pulled engine

I finally had a little time when it wasn't blistering hot or raining.

So I removed the engine from 86 Spider #2.

Looking into exhaust port #4 I can see the exhaust valve head 90 degrees out of position and separated from the valve stem.
Attached Images

Last edited by 86spider; 10-02-2016 at 07:53 PM.
post #168 of 1655 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 07:37 PM

Changed the oil and filters; oil and SPICA oil. Changed the fuel filters. Changed the plugs (old were Lodge HL of unknown vintage and in rough shape) to NGK 6ES. Installed stinger from Centerline.

Car is pulling much stronger. Amazing what a difference this work made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #169 of 1655 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 07:55 PM

Pulled engine

Someone really liked RTV.
Attached Images

post #170 of 1655 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 07:59 PM

Pulled engine

It's official, US market engine?
I don't have markings like this on 86 Spider #1. Found some other similar markings but not so large or clear.
Attached Images

post #171 of 1655 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Went for a fabulous drive fall drive with the Mrs. up the Buckhorn and Rist canyons west of Loveland, CO.

Greg East
Loveland, CO USA
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'87 Porsche 944 turbo
'93 BMW 740i
post #172 of 1655 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 09:04 PM

Garage
Last couple of days stripping down the intake side of the engine and taking off the cam cover.
Cams are unmarked so I will have to use a degree wheel and dial indicator to find out what they are, I do know 11mm lift.

After pulling the SPICA intake and Weber conversion plates I was unhappy with the weight and clutter.
So now it's a Euro manifold and associated hardware, have to work out a linkage conversion.

Today was simple, just touch up the frame where some one had hammered it for clearance for, I have no idea what.
Pull the starter, clean and repaint.
Much easier with the intake off, this must be a horror to do on a SPICA car!
Also bought some Hylomar Blue for assembly, the only local source was the Harley shop and their price was fair with no shipping or wait.

Twin-Cam Hemi, Webers, Headers, Overdrive, Disc brakes, and no emissions equipment to spoil it all. These are gonna be FUN rides!
post #173 of 1655 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 04:42 PM

Worked on my IRS rear suspension

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo
post #174 of 1655 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 04:52 PM

wrapping up steering. R/R two ball joints on the steering (one outer and one center link), installed ZF box, and then aligned with string, level and tape measure / scale. Wheels now point in the same direction, steering is centered, and added a touch of toe in.

Pushed, pulled, prodded, wiggled, banged, levered, etc the front suspension and I can find no looseness anywhere. Even tho looking at the rubber bushes they look old and surface cracked, there is no frank movement in the pieces. So I think I am going to just clean up the front undercarriage/suspension with a power washer to remove all the old dirt and grease under there. Next up -- rear differential and rear suspension. Going to put a 4.56 LSD in place of the 4:10.

74 GTV with 10548's and Ingram pump
71 Spider 1750 BOMBER ; 1995 LS 78K tight fast car
post #175 of 1655 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 04:57 PM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
....put vent window gaskets on my car because they were not available when I put the doors together.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #176 of 1655 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 05:00 PM

Goats. You will like the 4.10

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo
post #177 of 1655 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 06:48 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Washed & Waxed her and drove it today. Owned this car for over 32 years me 1st one!
82 is the best year, this car flies, it has never let me down. 102K and just regular service.
We have a good relationship I guess.
Put steel rims and new tires bad picture.

Name:  Spider.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  DA Dark Side!.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  43.2 KB
garwood1 likes this.

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
post #178 of 1655 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 07:50 PM

Garage
Very little, just paid for some parts from APE and cleaned up my Alfetta oil pan.
Ah, also got the money order sent to another member for a distributor.

Twin-Cam Hemi, Webers, Headers, Overdrive, Disc brakes, and no emissions equipment to spoil it all. These are gonna be FUN rides!
post #179 of 1655 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 07:53 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Found the gas cap I need for my 1986 in the parts box I got with my 1971. Go figure.

Also stared at this web page for a long time: Petrolicious
The video alone is drool worthy.

Current: 1971 Spider Veloce - rosso; 1986 Spider Veloce - black
Past: 1976 Alfetta GTV - eggplant(?); 1979 Alfetta Sprint Veloce - white
post #180 of 1655 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86spider View Post
I finally had a little time when it wasn't blistering hot or raining.

So I removed the engine from 86 Spider #2.

Looking into exhaust port #4 I can see the exhaust valve head 90 degrees out of position and separated from the valve stem.
Dude,that's normal!

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Don - 1984 Spider Veloce[/FONT]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode