What did you do Alfa Spider related today? - Page 115 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1133Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1711 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaromeoblack View Post
Nice work - it looks like black glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, Ken!

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBum View Post
Pretty much have the new top installed, just waiting a day for all the adhesive to dry well before I finish up. Not that difficult, the installation manual is a bit ambiguous in spots and the diagrams leave a lot to be desired but all in all it went quite well. I think if I did another one I would change the order of the procedure a bit.
If no pictures, it didn't happen

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
post #1713 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbadaro View Post
Quote:
Pretty much have the new top installed, just waiting a day for all the adhesive to dry well before I finish up. Not that difficult, the installation manual is a bit ambiguous in spots and the diagrams leave a lot to be desired but all in all it went quite well. I think if I did another one I would change the order of the procedure a bit.
If no pictures, it didn't happen

Lol. Well, not quite done and I'm not moving it out if the garage until it is but here ya go!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:23 PM

Garage
Today I drove my spider to work. Top up at 6:30am and Top down on the way home. San Francisco and the peninsula is having a three day heat wave. It was a perfect 87deg. I left work late today and HYW 101 had light traffic --- I was driving 75 mph all the way home. My S3 was so smooth --- wow what a car. We are so lucky to have such great cars that are not trailer queen, still look great, run fantastic and are affordable. Have a great weekend and drive your Alfas!!!

Ken Smith
post #1715 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarvi View Post
I played Golf yesterday. Clubs in the passenger seat of the Spider. The thing is, I remember being able to fit my clubs behind the seat in my older (actually newer in model years) spiders. I think the clubs are getting longer?

My drive home was in the rain. Top down. In the dark. A bit scary as those trucks go by. I worried that they couldn't see me. However. as long as it wasn't coming down too hard it was a fine trip, though the back of my neck did get wet.

Mo in NJ
Back at work.
Glad to see there is still a few die harts out there!

Ken Smith
post #1716 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Lol. Well, not quite done and I'm not moving it out if the garage until it is but here ya go!
Hehehe... Ok then

post #1717 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 04:44 PM

Rebushed the upper control arms
post #1718 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:57 PM

I've been through similar machinations. BB's general front suspension: lower AND upper inner bushes should be the same, OE ones are good if you get the right shipment from China, Talk to your favorite supplier.
upper control arms should be the adjustable ones. Rear bushing in the trailing arm is OEM, front bushing there should be Poly; I've had solid aluminum for bunch of years. Remember the plastic pieces (top and bottom.
Alignment Should have as much inside caster as you can get. I've seen racers with -13 degrees - thats a lot but it tries to keep the front inside wheel on the track.

Poly bushes on the lateral sway bar are really good. I have an old Shankle sway bar that is thick as a big tree branch, with long welded end arms easy to drill a few holes if you need even more torque transfer. Poly in the little top and bottom connection links.

Alfaholics has a front A-arm (big cast vertical piece with the wheel axel) that drops the geometry that are lowered to follow the lowering of most springs to correct bump steering. Or JRR will modify yours to whatever suits - call him to discuss. This helps keep the the front inside wheel on the ground as you roll over the track bump. you can even modify the idler arm similarly. Look at JR's pinned thread.

I find it interesting that all these changes actually improves street driving. Much of it is to correct the inside wheel coming off the track, and to correct a bunch of suspension geometry than happens when you drop the car with stiffer front springs.

Use poly on the rear swaybar too as above. I just took mine off (well I just disconnected the end links) because was best with a bit of oversteer (Red Robin's too, cold, too hot) (BTW it's a Shankle F/R set) set that happens, well from a lot of these changes. I like a bit of oversteer (tail slides out in a turn) to make faster corner exits. Too much will put the car thru the fence backward - oversteer puts the car thru the fence nose first. Both happen when you are going too fast, or off the magical "line". Oversteer is magically sweet making street corners but right in front of the Cop Car with his radar. Flashing lights! Bad weekend!!!
too
Oh, I forgot about shocks. OEM's suck. Lots of others are good. I have yellow Kony's on front set at middle, red on the rear set on softest possible.

Robert
slowcreek likes this.
post #1719 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 11:00 PM

Wink

I seem to have fallen into a habit of writing long essay's. Just give me a wack and I'll stop.

Well, maybe.

Robert
post #1720 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:15 PM

No worries, Robert. We enjoy a good read about an Alfa.

1991 Spider Veloce
1977 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II
post #1721 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:57 PM

I am repairing my broken Milano engine and rebuilding a 1750 engine at the same time. The parts do not interchange and that is good.
alfaloco likes this.
post #1722 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:31 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi Robert. Are you like me where from the neck up you are still 17? (and doing 17 year old things?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sRacer View Post
.... Oversteer is magically sweet making street corners but right in front of the Cop Car with his radar. Flashing lights! Bad weekend!!!...Robert
alfaloco, slowcreek and ed9msi like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #1723 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:11 AM
Platinum Subscriber

A little late, but here's what I was doing with my Spider Sept 5 & 6
Attached Images

alfaloco, GTA ALFA, Susan and 5 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #1724 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conedriver View Post
Hi Robert. Are you like me where from the neck up you are still 17? (and doing 17 year old things?)
I'm in the same age category as well, except when i look in the mirror. 5 years ago i bought a miata to drive in the winter as i don't want my spider out on the salted streets. The miata is another teenager car with rear wheel drive so a lot of fun.
post #1725 of 1807 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 06:06 AM

Yesterday, I took the spider out for a run to the horse races (Monmouth Park).

It was a great day overall, until an engine miss almost left me stranded somewhere in the swamps of Jersey.

I'll be replacing the fuel filters, and maybe the distributor cap, with my fingers crossed.

Mo in NJ
78 Spider
Checkbook mechanic, aspiring for better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode