Dual Duettos - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
The rear wing being test fitted. Clecos are used to hold the panel in place. The Clecos allow us to hold it in place tightly while we mark for butt seams:

Name:  66 Spider Portland - Rear panels 10.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  22.9 KB

The Tacks:
Name:  66 Spider Portland - Rear panels 7.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  35.0 KB

More Tacks:
Name:  66 Spider Portland - Rear panels 9.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  40.1 KB

Lots and lots of tacks later:
Name:  66 Spider Portland - Rear panels 4.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  40.8 KB

Name:  66 Spider Portland - Rear panels 8.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  42.0 KB

Still a lot of hammer and dolly work ahead but we are pleased with the outcome.

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:50 PM

The "half" rear wings look interesting. Great idea to change just that part of the wing. Less cutting and welding.

[B]1967 Roundtail Spider, "Duetto" Mine since 1970. Meno parole, piú Duetto!.[/B]
My [B][COLOR="Red"]Duetto sites [/COLOR][/B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the [B][COLOR="Red"] Duetto Register [/COLOR][/B]
and
[B][COLOR="Red"] Duettoinfo [/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by Wille R.; 02-26-2016 at 06:44 AM.
post #48 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 08:10 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Is that a Wolf Steel panel?

Brian __________________________________

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Is that a Wolf Steel panel?
Yepp, I think so. They are from Canada. Don't know about the quality or how they fit though.

[B]1967 Roundtail Spider, "Duetto" Mine since 1970. Meno parole, piú Duetto!.[/B]
and

post #50 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 08:36 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wille R. View Post
Yepp, I think so. They are from Canada. Don't know about the quality or how they fit though.
It's nice to see someone using the Wolf Steel panels. From the pictures, the look pretty good.

Great work, Rich.

post #51 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 09:25 AM

I'm sure Rich is a skilled welder.

and

post #52 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
With theses panels the trick is to get an accurate cut for the butt weld and take lots of time with spot welds allowing the panels to cool. Otherwise you asking for major warpage.

The panels came from Wolf Steel, the supplier Alfisti love to hate. But the cost of a full wing was beyond practical or reasonable ($1,200 to $1,800 each depending on your source) and using separate repair panels wasn't an option we wanted either. After talking with Robin (who has recently acquired Wolf) for some time I felt that trying them worth the risk. He assured me that if they didn't fit or weren't going to work that I could return them for a full refund. His panels are largely hand formed and they definitely require more labor to fit and finish than the european panels but we still came out ahead. I wouldn't recommend this for a first timer or someone with limited facilities but neither is it impossible.

post #53 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wille R. View Post
I'm sure Rich is a skilled welder.
:l augh2::lau gh2:

I am many things, a skilled welder is not one of them. Nate and Blake are my master craftsmen but in this case Nate was the solo artist. Honestly, welding is like painting: 90% is prep. If he hadn't fitted the panels correctly or trimmed the seams tight it would have been a disaster. If he didn't know how to set up his machine and how to adjust his technique when things are less than ideal - disaster. I know my limitations and this is surely one (of many) of them...

And yes the Wolf panels were very acceptable quality. There was some distortion at the trailing edge of the blood gutter which is understandable for a hand formed piece. This requires additional labor that a stamped panel would not. So you have to weigh that in the decision on which to buy. Knowing Nate's skill set I wasn't worried about and it turned out to be well founded.

I also wanted to give Wolf/Robin a chance to prove himself. I asked him outright: "Is it important to you to be a supplier of Alfa panels?". For all I knew this was a nuisance and/or didn't give a crap if people liked his stuff or not. To my relief his response was an emphatic "Yes!". I believe that it's important to our community to have suppliers like Wolf. There are things like these half wings that no one else supplies. There are other things like his floor panels that don't begin to compare to the european stamped floors. But they were developed before (a) the stamped floors were widely available and (b) the value of our cars could warrant the cost. Nobody wants to spend $1,000 on replacing the floors on a car that's worth $2,000. Now that they're worth $20,000, $40,000, $60,000 sure but in the day what Wolf did was provide a way to preserve rather than restore these cars.

Finally Robin is eager for constructive feedback and is looking for other holes in panel supply that he could fill. For me the glaring gap are the pieces that make up the rear section behind the seats (rear shelf). It is a horrible rust prone area and no one makes anything for it. We spend hours and hours hand making these panels and I've yet to see a Duetto (and most other Alfas) that didn't need some attention.

I would not hesitate buying these panels again from Wolf.

Last edited by gprocket; 02-26-2016 at 11:41 AM.
post #54 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:52 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
I'm glad it worked out. I've always felt bad that I could not recommend Wolf Steel panels. The floors I bought in the nineties were horrible. None of the stampings were correct. so
I tossed them.

I'm sure Nate is a good panel beater and got the lines on the trough looking sharp. I think they turned out great.

You might want to consider a vendor review, if you like them.

post #55 of 98 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
I'm glad it worked out. I've always felt bad that I could not recommend Wolf Steel panels. The floors I bought in the nineties were horrible. None of the stampings were correct. so
I tossed them.

I'm sure Nate is a good panel beater and got the lines on the trough looking sharp. I think they turned out great.

You might want to consider a vendor review, if you like them.
Good point I will review them - Robin deserves it. As to the floors I used the euro stamped ones because they are correct and no amount of beating would make the Wolf floors factory original and that's what we are striving for these days...

post #56 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 04:23 PM

wow great restoration
post #57 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 10:32 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranz View Post
I have seen discussion on the Sedan pages about optional boosters in early models, so I am not entirely surprised early spiders may have had similar option available, although my workshop manual says the GTs came standard with a booster. M/CYL dia was 20 mm without booster, 22mm with. The smaller 20mm dia unit gives additional hydraulic leverage over the 22mm unit, at the expense of some additional pedal travel. A few BBers have eliminated 'troublesome' boosters, adopting the 20mm M/CYL or a dual M/CYL setup when doing so.
Here's a factory photo from Duettoinfo Press/promotional
Attached Images

and

post #58 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Making some progress on the "To Be Green" Spider:

The inner fender well was rebuilt and everything coated with POR15

Name:  66 green ps rear wing 3.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  41.7 KB

The rear wing finished

Name:  66 green ps rear wing 1.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  66 green ps rear wing 2.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  39.8 KB

Then the shell went back in the sand blast booth and the primer stripped back to bare steel.

Reprimed and coated with urethane bedliner:

Name:  66 green undercarriage.jpg
Size:  52.1 KB

Name:  66 green cabin.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  42.8 KB

Final bodywork is on going this week.

post #59 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 07:02 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN

Garage
It looks great, Rich.

post #60 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
The filler goes on...

Name:  66 green ds 4.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  66 green ds 5.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  66 green ds 3.jpg
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  66 green ds 1.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  39.1 KB

And comes off...
Name:  66 green ds 2.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  41.5 KB

Lots more to do...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode