2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Push hard and live
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondavis View Post
Don, battery voltage is fine, 12.5+ volts. Just came off a long multi-day trickle charge on Saturday...

(your signature reads like a "who's who" of Alfas!)
Yeah, I was surprised when I compiled that list several years ago. I never set out to be a ceazy person. It just happened.

To the voltage question...

The critical part is that your ECU is getting a full 12V, or something close. Find the main power feed to the ECU, and measure the voltage while someone is cranking the engine. I don't remember what the lower limit is, but suspect if you're seeing less than about 10.5V, then you've got either a bad cell in the battery, or resistance somewhere in either the B+ or your ground.

It is possible for a battery with a bad cell to show 12V+, until a load is put on it and the high internal resistance knocks it down.

Don P
Carson City, NV

Past Alfas...
59 102 Touring (first Alfa $500 running)
65 Sprint GT (2nd Alfa, $500 daily driver)
102 Sprint (never did anything with it, but wish I had)
74 Berlina (first new car - now certainly rusted into oblivion)
61 Giulietta Spider G-Prod Race Car (where is it now?)
84 Spider Veloce (rarely drove it, so sold it)
86 Quadrifoglio (Dull car - no more 115s for me)
1971 Montreal "The Full Monty". Fair winds and following seas

Current Alfas
59 102 Touring Roadster - restoration complete, enough Alfa for any rational man. Or irrational, for that matter
Oops. Add to the "present" list, 10204 01488, 2000 Touring Roadster project

And past...
Two 1946 Stampe SV4C (c/n 294 "Rocinante" - wife's favorite airplane. RIP), and c/n 235 "La Bon Temps Femme" (gone to a new home, but never forgotten)
Zlin 50LA (+9 -6 gees, titanium spar, 1200 lbs, 260HP rumored to now be in Brazil)
1946 Luscombe 8A
Starduster Too (recently spotted at the Nevada City, CA airport - over 20 years and an entire continent separating it from our stewardship in Binghamton, NY)
1955 Cessna 170B (wife taught me to fly tailwheel in this)

And present...
64 Mooney M20E ("Rambo". My faithful steed for over 40 years) Over 55 years old, and just returned from a trip to Argentina in him
Newest in the fleet
1967 Piper Super Cub on Wipline amphibious floats (a true "all terrain vehicle")
2010 Triumph Thunderbird

You can snap roll an Alfa only one time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidryell View Post
Don, I reread your last post. Did you measure voltage with one multimeter lead on + terminal of coil and the other to the engine block or did you measure across the terminals of the coil. You should be measuring the first way.
I think he did it correct (as long as ignition switch was on!), earlier he mentioned "I've measured voltage between coil + and body/engine. Zip."

Don, have you checked actual voltage when cranking as Spidryell suggested earlier? This needs to be about 10.5V before the ECU will awake. Because the battery is newly charged, does not mean the crank voltage is adequate. You need to check this before proceeding.

If cranking voltage is good, then move on and check what was suggested in post #22 (again by Spidryell)

Edit: ....as DonP just said!

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 11-08-2015 at 02:03 PM. Reason: add info
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
FINALLY. I had to brush off my book of Italian bestemmie for that one.

The hot-side connector behind fuses 6-8 was plugged into spots 7-9, thus depriving the dreaded black/green wire to coil + of it's 12v. I must have put it back there because the connector has a notch in it and it fit. Moved it over by 1 and the car fired right up. Thanks all, and most of all to Papajam's excellent wiring diagrams.

Many thanks for everyone's suggestions and help, now I can finish putting the interior back together.

@donp, I wish I'd compiled a list of all the cars I went through while I lived in Italy '82-'98. I think it was 24 or 25 cars, some only kept a short while. The dollar was so strong against the lira back then. Most memorably, a BMW 3.0csi (still the most elegant of coupes, IMO), a 2002ti (absolute joy to drive), Alfa75 QV (lovely 3-liter V-6 which really screamed), Saab 9000CDE (2-liter turbo that would do 140mph in great comfort), several Giulias (all of which were cheap, fun and fast), a Fiat Panda (a fantastically simple and reliable little car) and not least, a 500. (I've always lusted after the Interceptor, how is it?)

@spiderserie4, "DANKE und tscheuss!" Obviously, voltage was fine once I pulled my head out and got my wires connected the way they were supposed to be.
@Norseman50 , thanks Edward for always being willing to help, you're one of the jewels here on the boards.

Don

Don Davis
Woodbridge, VA
1986 Spider

Last edited by dondavis; 11-08-2015 at 02:25 PM. Reason: add info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 02:50 PM

Great!! Always feels good when you get them running after beating your head on a problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode