My 1st Alfa!....and it's a Spider! - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@Alfajay,

Right you are! Thank you for your insight!....As I read your post, I was watching an episode of Wheeler Dealers where Edd China was going through a Porsche 928 that Mike Brewer had purchased and it hadn't run for a while....and that was the very first thing Edd did! So I plan on doing the same...follow the same process..checking the calipers all around, changing fluids (oil, brake, differential), changing plugs, wires, cap, new battery, etc., cleaning out the fuel tank/system (or replacing it altogether) along with everything else mentioned in prior posts....

Thanks for reviewing my pics/posts....any assistance or advice now and going forward is most appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 04:34 PM

Gigem is absolutely correct in his assessment. Don't even think about the body until you've done the mechanicals and the car drives good and is reliable and you learn what the alfa is. The body is a another phase
pennzo likes this.

Frank Livesay Huntsville, AL
Green Alfa - 68 Canadian 1750 Spider Veloce (driver)
White Alfa - 68 Euro 1750 GTV (needs a refresh)
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 06:22 PM

It is if it's doable but probe with the pointed end of a scribe around key areas to see just how bad the rust is. There is a point where it's not only beyond economical, it can be beyond feasible to repair. If that's the case you may want to modify the limit of how much more you want to put into it.

If the body is a good candidate for restoration then you have to decide how you want to go about that and what level of restoration you want to achieve. If your desire is to bring it back to a like new condition then there's little use in spending money just to get it drivable in it's present condition. You seemed to indicate you bought it to restore but if you just want a drivable beater that's a different story.
pennzo likes this.

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 11:58 PM

Ive just started on my 76 spider and the best advice i can give is start taking it apart if theirs rust in the trunk where the rear shock mounts are on the "shelf" give it away man, these cars are so plentiful and can be enjoyed for far less than what it may cost you to buy a well maintained body with a shot trans or engine... those are the cheaper fixes if you can believe (as i sit here crying over a cracked head) but alas "dove ce gusto non ce male" which is more or less where there is pleasure there is no pain. But seriously enjoy your car its gonna be a bumpy ride (speaking of which the whole suspension rebuilding on these aint half bad kn the pricing). Peace.
pennzo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode