New Old Bumpers - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior TEXAS member

New Old Bumpers

I got tired of not having what I consider an appropriate "grill", so last weekend I did a little modification. I know its not what some would consider 'correct' but its what I wanted. Now she has a sexy mouth to go with her smile.

Found the grill on ebay a few years back for $20, put it on my garage wall and have been debating the change since then.

A little metal work, a little hacksawing, some shaping, a little fiberglassing, a lot more shaping and sanding and some bumper paint. Took about 6 hours not including dry time.
I did not change the position of the shocks to bring it closer to the body. Maybe later.

Finished these last saturday, then drove up to Dallas area Sunday (475 mi). Just got back last night. A little over 1200 mi RT, 30mpg. She did not miss a beat and we drove the last 300 miles in POURING rain. Lots of positive comments from the guys at Vick Autosport in Ft. Worth, and 'thumbs-up' from the road.

Thanks to Conedriver for the inspiration and technical help.
Attached Images

Get out there and [B][SIZE="4"]DRIVE ![/SIZE][/B]

Bill ("Plays well with others")
1978 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 10:42 AM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
How did you cut the bumpers? Ban saw? Interesting treatment.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior TEXAS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
How did you cut the bumpers? Ban saw? Interesting treatment.
I used a 14" hacksaw with a medium coarse blade, a shot of Meyers and a couple of Shiner Bocks'. The rubber is thin in spots and thick in others. The bumper metal is 6 layers thick and is a bear to go through on the flat, but it cuts straight.

1978 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 10:59 AM

Garage
Looks factory to me, nice job!

Richard
76 Alfetta GTV gone to rust haven, 89 Spider the red graduate, 86 GTV6 on wish list
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 11:01 AM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
That hacksawing is a lot of work! I would have taken it to a mahince shop with a ban saw to cut through all of that. You could still enjoy the shiner bocks after the job was all done.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

What did you need to fiberglass? The body sheetmetal around the grille, or covering the wounds where the bumper was cut in the center?

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior TEXAS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
What did you need to fiberglass? The body sheetmetal around the grille, or covering the wounds where the bumper was cut in the center?
The opening cut out of the bumper, and the cutout for the license plate holder on the bottom of the bumper. Now it looks like there is nothing from the factory to attach a plate to. Darn, no front plate..

1978 Spider Veloce
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Hi Bill,

Your car looks GREAT! You did exactly what I did many years ago, but I also retracted the front & rear shock mounts. I also retained the connection between the two bumper halves, and you're right; there's a LOT of metal under the outer rubber covering. Regardless, the difference is that the car looks like a "real" Spider again. Not to highjack your thread, but, if anyone is interested, I still have the collapsed shocks and modified bumper for sale if anyone wants the pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I got tired of not having what I consider an appropriate "grill", so last weekend I did a little modification. I know its not what some would consider 'correct' but its what I wanted. Now she has a sexy mouth to go with her smile.

Found the grill on ebay a few years back for $20, put it on my garage wall and have been debating the change since then.

A little metal work, a little hacksawing, some shaping, a little fiberglassing, a lot more shaping and sanding and some bumper paint. Took about 6 hours not including dry time.
I did not change the position of the shocks to bring it closer to the body. Maybe later.

Finished these last saturday, then drove up to Dallas area Sunday (475 mi). Just got back last night. A little over 1200 mi RT, 30mpg. She did not miss a beat and we drove the last 300 miles in POURING rain. Lots of positive comments from the guys at Vick Autosport in Ft. Worth, and 'thumbs-up' from the road.

Thanks to Conedriver for the inspiration and technical help.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior TEXAS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conedriver View Post
Hi Bill,

Your car looks GREAT! ... the car looks like a "real" Spider again.
Thanks George, coming from you that is a very rewarding compliment.
That was also my feeling all along, that the front just did not have the character a "real" Spider should have.
I may push the bumpers in a little more but having somthing out there to protect the nose is at least some security, even if at times false security.

It was a relatively easy project and the most difficult part was cutting away the little 'grillette' and rebending the grille opening in the nose piece. I just did not want to change the shape of that metal, but fitting the grille first was the key to cutting the opening, since I was not planning on retracting the shocks at this time.
Over all not a bad weekend project and I recommend it to anyone with a little time and skill.
Thanks again George.

1978 Spider Veloce
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to John M Send a message via Yahoo to John M
Very nicely done Bill!

Best Regards,
John M

[SIZE="1"]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 AR Spider Veloce 2000....the first and still here...Bianco
1984 AR Spider Veloce............the second & gone to the parts bin....Rosso
1992 AR Spider Veloce............the third and still here...Bianco
1991 AR 164L........................the fourth and traded on the SS....Rosso
1965 AR Sprint Speciale..........the fifth...in boxes....sold....Bianco
1978 AR Spider Veloce 2000....the sixth gone to be a parts car...slow black
1967 AR Giulia Sprint GT.........the seventh with Gregg and sold......Rosso
1993 AR Spider Veloce............the eighth with Gregg and still here....Verde Inglese
1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi.............the first and still here....Azzurro
1999 Ferrari 355F1 Spider........the second and still here....TdF Blue[/SIZE]
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 04:05 PM

Garage
looks great, job well done!!

Peter

Currently: '65 Giulia TI

Previously:
'76 Alfasud Ti/'75 GT Junior/'87 Alfa 33
'91 Alfa 75/'95 Alfa 164/'79 Alfa Spider '69 Euro 1750 GTV, '67 Duetto, '84 Spider Veloce
'91 164L
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 04:45 PM

Bill,

What a great look. Time well spent.

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Larry the Cable Guy
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:35 PM

Love the customization, and was trying to figure out how I was going to find a crest for my lower...may take this route, and would be interested in the grill info if you want to PM me about.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 03:46 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

I'm liking it. Well executed.

:thumbsup:

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

as hosted by

&
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Bruce (and others),

The key to this conversion for "rubber bumper" Spiders is that the semicircular indentation to accomodate the top grille profile is actually in place. It's hidden behind the plastic chrome trim piece above the bumper that mimics the top of a real grille. For my original conversion, I placed small fibergass plugs to cover the two mounting holes, and added some touchup paint. Extensive bodywork is not required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatkiddo View Post
Love the customization, and was trying to figure out how I was going to find a crest for my lower...may take this route, and would be interested in the grill info if you want to PM me about.
Attached Images

George Schweikle

1976 Spider (Dedicated Autocrosser, "SPICA, No Carbs")
1991 Spider Veloce (Retirement cruiser)
Scuderia Non Originale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode