Quick Jack - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quick Jack

Howdy all!!
Just saw a commercial for a lift called 'Quick Jack'. Has anyone ever used or bought one of these, or maybe the same type from some other company??
Thanks!
😎

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 01:59 AM

I think "Eric the Car Guy" on Youtube did a review of one (or something similar).

Actually it was of something similar:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMqTFQuPHeY

Hope this helps.

Jeff
1989 Graduate S3
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:21 AM

A couple of weeks ago I was looking at the MaxJax which is called a "portable" two post lift. It's not something however that you could take to the track as you need to install anchor points in the concrete to bolt the posts to but it's something that can be used in a typical garage and stored in a corner when not in use. It will lift the car about four feet, enough to get under sitting up on a creeper seat.

As for this Quick Jack, it seems like a lot of gear just to get the car up 10 inches and I can see myself maybe needing to go to a Chiropractor after moving it around but for certain applications such as racing it probably is worth it.

The MaxJax BTW is about $2K but you can get one free delivery for store pick up at Home Depot. I'm still seriously thinking about one.

I'd post a link but I'm on an iPad and it's a PITA so just Google it.

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 10:46 AM

How high is the ceiling in your garage?

For about the same money, you could get a proper lift..and let me tell you, it's the greatest thing on the planet.
alfaloco likes this.

'89 Spider Quad, "Rosa", original owner..still in love all these years...
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 04:57 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

I watched the video test and this thing looks pretty sweet. 10" lift height is way better than I'm dealing with now with jack stands: looks like plenty of room to move around under the car.

A two post lift would be awesome, but let's be real here: find a two post lift that will run off 110V AC and costs $1300. Plus this doesn't require any permanent mounting or significant clearance above the car.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 05:01 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Actually the 3500 lb model is only $900. That's more than enough for any of my cars.

This is very tempting...

Tom

1974 GTV
1991 Spider
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 07:13 PM

Gubi, what's the height of your garage ceiling?

'89 Spider Quad, "Rosa", original owner..still in love all these years...
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:23 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Like 10 foot. But a dual post would take up too much space, require drilling into the slab, require running a 240V line, and require spending a heck of a lot more than $900. Not gonna happen.

For the stuff I do, the Quick Jack would be perfect.

Tom

1974 GTV
1991 Spider
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 05:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
Actually the 3500 lb model is only $900. That's more than enough for any of my cars.

This is very tempting...
Check the pad length. I seem to recall that the 3500lb model can't reach the jack points on our Alfas. Not sure if there is a good alternative point or not.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 08:29 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
If you want to waste a lot of time do more research, browse the forums at Garage Journal. There are many threads about various types of lifts - two post, four post, scissor, portable/permanent, etc.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubi View Post
Like 10 foot. But a dual post would take up too much space, require drilling into the slab, require running a 240V line, and require spending a heck of a lot more than $900. Not gonna happen.

For the stuff I do, the Quick Jack would be perfect.
Check out the MaxJax, you do have to drill and insert the mount points but the posts are not permanent it takes about 10 minutes to set up or take down. They have wheels so you can store it all in a corner when not in use. The 10 foot ceiling is good, the problem however is usually the door opener that hangs down a couple of feet. If you could manage it the 4 foot lift height would be pretty nice.

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:00 AM
Gold Subscriber

Reviving this thread from a few months ago, as I am considering a QuickJack lift. My garage is long and narrow: 34' long x 9' wide. The ceilings are also low at 8' at the front and 7' at the back, less so once you factor in the door / opener. I use long, sturdy wooden ramps to get the cars in/out of the lower space. They can be dismounted when the cars are in winter hibernation, to clear up some floor space.

All of these compromises were necessitated by a remodeled old house on a small city lot. On the plus side, it provides space for my '70 Giulia TI and '74 Spider nose-to-tail. It is insulated, heated, and separate from the detached garage that houses our two "real" cars. On the coldest MN day I can get it to 50+ degrees in no time and it's right in the basement so easy to sneak down there when nobody is looking...

Providing this background because my options are pretty limited. A post lift won't work because I don't have the width. The low ceilings mean that I won't be able to raise the cars very high anyway. Finally, it would be good to have something that can be moved from one space to the other, which requires being able to lift (!) it up the 11-inch height difference. I've looked at a lot of lifts and been to a regular visitor to garagejournal.

It looks like Quickjack has a newer 3,500 lb model, the BL-3500SLX, which is has a longer pad length than the older Bl-3500 one, though it's of course more expensive. Maximum spread of the lift blocks is 50.5" for the BL-3500SLX vs. 43.75" for the older one--see “Technical Specs” here:

BL-3500SLX-AC 110-Volt Hydraulic Jack - Portable Car Lift - Race Car Jack - QuickJack

So the BL-3500SLX would seem to be a good fit for Alfa Spiders, since the jacking points are 50" apart. However, the Giulia TI has a longer wheelbase and its jack points are 60” apart. This led me to their 5,000 lb model, the BL-5000SLX. The lift block spread for this one is 31.5-60” so should, in theory, cover the Spider and the Giulia. The weight rating is of course overkill but suppose it provides an extra safety margin:

BL-5000SLX-AC EZ Portable Car Lift - Lightweight Race Jacks - QuickJack USA

My only concern is the overall frame length of the BL-5000SLX is 72.5” and it’s about 3” high on one side. A rough measurement between the bottom of the Spiders tires is 77”. I need to be able to drag the frame between the tires. I think it will fit, but just barely. It does narrow as it raises so, in theory, you could get it under there, raise it a little, and reposition the blocks before they make contact with the jack points.

All of this is a long winded way of asking if anyone here ended up purchasing one of these lifts and/or has an opinion on the above options, particularly the BL-5000 SLX. Even if it doesn’t get the car off the ground all that much, it provides more clearance and ease-of-use than jack stands. Because of the cozy confines, using floor jacks and stands is also a bit tricky in my garage, though it can of course be done. And it would also seem to be safer than jack stands, though I always have redundant support (floor jack or extra stands) when under a car and will continue that practice, even with a lift. I am just looking for something to help with the basic maintenance and brake/suspension work. Dropping a tranny is beyond my skill set anyway. $1,300 is not cheap but we just moved into this house and plan to be there 20-30+ years (knock on wood)…

Anyway, thoughts and opinions welcome and appreciated. Pickup hockey season will soon transition to late winter wrenching season and the parts orders have already been placed…

Thanks,
Jim
goats likes this.

Jim McDonald
Minneapolis, MN
'74 Spider
'70 Giulia 1300TI
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:21 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Last weekend, I installed a MaxJax in my garage. I ordered it from Costco, which was having a sale for $1900. It will work in garages with low ceilings. I've had it installed for three days, but so far I'm happy with it. It is a very clean installation, and not too difficult with a hammer-drill rental from Home Depot. It operates on 110V AC.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 05:42 PM

You've lit the fire under my butt and inspired me sloboy but....

They are currently out of stock at Costco

post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 05:55 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabpilot View Post
You've lit the fire under my butt and inspired me sloboy but....

They are currently out of stock at Costco
I must have gotten the last one.

They said four weeks for delivery, but it took less than two.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode