Quick Jack - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 07:45 AM

I dont have the room for a lift but would love to get something easier to get the car off the ground (with wheels off) than the old floor jack and stands routine. But for about $1,000, this just doesn't seem worth it for slightly more convenience. The box shape also forecloses access underneath from the sides - you'd need a good creeper and you have to roll or crawl under from the front or rear of the car every time. Also seems like it would be clunky to store away when not in use. I guess I'll just stick with my old routine. Maybe treat myself to a better quality floor jack some day (lower starting height with the nice release mechanism built into the handle).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 09:56 AM

I bought one of these heavy duty, long reach, low profile jacks from Harbor Freight, It has a T-handle with a release knob which is nice. It works well on the Spider because it will fit under the front spring pans. It's only drawback is that it weighs a friggin ton so not something you could easily throw in the trunk and take over to your buddy's place. It literally takes two people to lift the thing.

It makes easy work of putting the Spider on stands though. I lift the rear under the differential and put the stands under the jack points. Then if I lift under either one of the spring pans the whole front raises level and I can place the other two stands under the forward jack points.

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:35 PM

Rich,
I bought a max jax from Costco too. Just waiting for delivery. How far apart did you place the posts? Happy with that decision? Would you space them differently if you were doing it over?
All my projects are similar size. 86 spider, 50 MGTD, 57 MGA, 03 911, 07 S2000.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:51 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry McCormley View Post
Rich,
I bought a max jax from Costco too. Just waiting for delivery. How far apart did you place the posts? Happy with that decision? Would you space them differently if you were doing it over?
All my projects are similar size. 86 spider, 50 MGTD, 57 MGA, 03 911, 07 S2000.
Larry,

I spaced the outside edges of the base at 120" as shown in the diagram. This spacing was driven by the fact that I have a post-tension slab floor, and I had to be careful to avoid drilling through the stringers (tensioned re-bar), as that could seriously damage the foundation.

Anyway, I think that the spacing is perfect. Putting the posts closer together would make it difficult to swing the lift arms past the tires to the jack points. (And there is plenty of room to open the door far enough to get out of the car).
Attached Images

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport

Last edited by sloboy89; 05-30-2019 at 09:02 AM.
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 01:07 PM

Perfect. Thanks for the info Rich

Larry
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 01:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Maxjax

After reading the reviews on Amazon, most were favorable, but did point out serious problems with the hydraulic system. Anyone experience early failure? They sell rebuild kits for a few hundred $$$, but I would rather have a more fail proof system.
Cheers, Jon

Present:
1967 Spider
1974 GTV (1969 Tribute)
1993 Spider ( project)
2018 Stelvio
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 01:34 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quick (Jack) update on this... The 5000SLX model I ordered took about a week to arrive via FedEx ground. Shipping costs were all included in the base price, as advertised. FedEx dropped the 3 large boxes on my front steps. Delivery was also a concern of mine with other lift options since my garage is around back. A lot of the others require lift gate service (with a hefty added fee) and the trucks don't like to do down the alley, where I would need it dropped. With the Quick Jack delivery, the only complications were 10 inches of fresh snow and a few beers at happy hour... My wife and daughter looked on in mock horror as I lugged the ramp boxes (109 lbs each) and motor (35 lbs) through the house and down to the basement. Really, wasn't that bad...

Unpacking, setup and testing took about 3 hours. The directions were pretty straightforward and everything was supplied (including teflon tape) except the 2 quarts of ATF needed. The quick-connect fittings used to connect the longer hoses to the power unit and short hoses are pretty slick and there were no leaks.

I didn't test it on the Spider but was able to achieve liftoff with the Giulia TI last night. The 60" max lifting spread just barely covers the jack points so I had to reposition the jacks a few times, to get them in just the right spot. Should get easier with repetition.

The height is not much but plenty for the work I plan to do and more so than with my jack stands. And all at the touch of a button... Will begin to use actually use it for suspension and other projects when I get back from vacation and can file a follow up report then. Should also be handy for winter tire changeovers on our "real' cars.

Apologies for the crappy cell phone photos but I was pressed for time... Let me know if any questions.
Attached Images

Jim McDonald
Minneapolis, MN
'74 Spider
'70 Giulia 1300TI
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 03:08 PM

Garage
Looking to get a Quickjack for my s2 spider. Any updates on whether this works OK with a spider? I'm worried the jack points might be too far apart.
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:26 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalAlfa021 View Post
Looking to get a Quickjack for my s2 spider. Any updates on whether this works OK with a spider? I'm worried the jack points might be too far apart.
I was able to get the 5,000lb model to work with my Spider by jacking up the rear end a couple inches (via a floor jack on the differential) for a little extra clearance as I started the lift. However, that one is bigger than the 3,500 lb model. I needed the bigger, 5,000 lb one to also work with my Giulia's jack points, which are further apart. I believe the 3,500lb model works fine for a Spider, without any clearance issues that would require help from a floor jack. You can confirm this by measuring the distance between your jack points and looking at the min/max lift block position specifications here, under "Features & Specifications." If your jack points are within the min/max range, you should be good to go:

https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-s...-car-lift.html
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:27 AM

Garage
Thanks!

Yeah I'm looking at that 5000 so I can use it with my Audi as well.
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:40 AM

Garage
Costco has the Quickjack BL-5000SLX for $999.99 through 5/28. Shipping included.
DanB likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:09 PM
Platinum Subscriber

A friend just bought one of these lifts:

https://www.automotechservices.co.uk...-scissor-lift/

and I really like it. The arms adjust to make it smaller or longer depending on the car. And you can raise the car high enough to sit under it comfortably. He looked at the Quick Jacks and decided that this was better, even if it cost more.

It was super handy when pulling the transaxle out of our Milano. Lots of room to work on removing bolts, then we lowered it drop the transaxle on a tranmission jack.

Ian Lomax - Current: 1973 Berlina, 1984 GTV6, 1987 Milano Platinum "racecar"
Past: 71, 74 Spiders, 2x 74 Berlina, 74 GTV, 76 Alfetta GT, 88 Milano 3.0, 97 164LS
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:20 PM
Gold Subscriber

For the DIYers among us:

DanB likes this.

Everyday is a school day. Learning something new all the time

View my '74 GTV restoration at:

View my '91 164s adventure at:

But wait there's more: View my 164LS thread, now parts car status:

You're kidding, another one?! 1984 GTV6 Maratona

You didn't...oh yes I did. '73 Berlina graduate course in rust repair. No thread yet, don't want to piss off the GTV

You didn't...oh yes I did II. 1995 164LS 5 speed, awesome when it runs!!!

Musings on shop related items:
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danix View Post
Costco has the Quickjack BL-5000SLX for $999.99 through 5/28. Shipping included.
But can we use the 5000 on a Spider? I would think that the side lifts would be too long?

Doug

Doug - 1989 Spider Quadrifoglio S3 (Black)
Member of the Italian Car Club of North Texas & AROC
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbaliko View Post
But can we use the 5000 on a Spider? I would think that the side lifts would be too long?

Doug
Guess I will let you know when I have it assembled. BTW, I live in CA and the darn thing showed up next day in 3 boxes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode