Quick Jack - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 06:58 PM

Garage
Timely thread resurrection. The Quickjack 3500 is on sale for <$850, so I ordered one last week, and am expecting it next week. I've been eyeballing them for a couple of years, and pulled the trigger when they went on sale. I like the idea of it being portable enough to take to the race track as well. The jack and stand routine gets tiresome. I'll let you know how it works out.

69 Spider, 2L, street; pursuit of happiness
69 Spider, 1.8L, race; happiness of pursuit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 06:59 PM

How was the delivery? No problems getting it unloaded?

I'm definitely gonna get one, been sitting on the fence for awhile on it then while I was doing an R&R on the driveshafts on my Land Rover last week I was telling myself I'm too old to be crawling around on the cement like this LoL.

Paul - 1972 Spider - (2)1991 164S's - 1983 308 - 2001 Discovery - 1997 F350
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 07:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboy89 View Post
Last weekend, I installed a MaxJax in my garage. I ordered it from Costco, which was having a sale for $1900. It will work in garages with low ceilings. I've had it installed for three days, but so far I'm happy with it. It is a very clean installation, and not too difficult with a hammer-drill rental from Home Depot. It operates on 110V AC.

Congrats on the lift. Definitely hope one is in my future.

Not sure what to be more jealous of, the lift or the size of your garage!

Yup, I have decided, I want both!

Vin

1991 Spider Veloce - Red on Tan - Rosa Bionda
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio - Red on Grey - Rosa - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honey, this is the last thing I have to do, then I'm finished. It'll just be a minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 07:57 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintre View Post
Congrats on the lift. Definitely hope one is in my future.

Not sure what to be more jealous of, the lift or the size of your garage!

Yup, I have decided, I want both!

Vin
The lift was a 20th anniversary gift from my wife. The garage ensures that I stay out of the house. I guess that's how we got to 20 years.
John533i likes this.

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:22 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nader View Post
Timely thread resurrection. The Quickjack 3500 is on sale for <$850, so I ordered one last week, and am expecting it next week. I've been eyeballing them for a couple of years, and pulled the trigger when they went on sale. I like the idea of it being portable enough to take to the race track as well. The jack and stand routine gets tiresome. I'll let you know how it works out.
Please do keep us posted, Nader. Is it the BL-3500? I saw that those were on sale on the QuickJack website for $895. Great price but I couldn't pull the trigger since the maximum spread was 43.75" which was too narrow. Have to think that someone more creative than me could come up with an easy, safe way to extend it.

BL-3500 Hydraulic Jack - Portable Car Lift - Race Car Lift - QuickJack USA

After further research and talking with a company rep, I went ahead and ordered the 5,000 lb model yesterday (BL-5000SLX). Think it will just barely fit within the Spider's wheelbase. Not cheap but hopefully something I'll get a lot of use out of. Will provide an update once I get it set up.

Jim McDonald
Minneapolis, MN
'74 Spider
'70 Giulia 1300TI
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Meanie View Post
Please do keep us posted, Nader. Is it the BL-3500? I saw that those were on sale on the QuickJack website for $895. Great price but I couldn't pull the trigger since the maximum spread was 43.75" which was too narrow. Have to think that someone more creative than me could come up with an easy, safe way to extend it.

BL-3500 Hydraulic Jack - Portable Car Lift - Race Car Lift - QuickJack USA

After further research and talking with a company rep, I went ahead and ordered the 5,000 lb model yesterday (BL-5000SLX). Think it will just barely fit within the Spider's wheelbase. Not cheap but hopefully something I'll get a lot of use out of. Will provide an update once I get it set up.
Please post pictures!

I would love to get a MaxJax, but my garage is quite old and the concrete is of unknown depth and quality. Pouring a new pad for it would make the installation project a much bigger deal. Plus, it's much more difficult to transport if I ever move. QuickJack seems like a nice compromise between futzing with jack stands and a full lift. Most work where the car needs to be up doesn't really require that much rise anyways. The QuickJack also has nice potential for a trackday lift.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:45 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I measured about 59" from wheel well to wheel well on my spider why couldn't you place a 4 x 4" on top of the lift and raise the car. That would also give you 4" more room under there to work. I'm thinking a 2 x 6 could probably be used. There's only about 7" overhang on each end.

(Little) Washington, NC Incorporated 1776
Red 1959 Spider Conrero Veloce 100,000 miles
sold 1966 ( I had no idea what I had there.)
Red 1967 Spider 100,000 miles sold 1974
Red 1987 Milano 100,000 miles sold 1994
Red 1969 Spider 109,000 Miles in the garage, Sold
Dark Blue 1974 Spider (arriving soon)

We need a law, one that says every male gets a 10 car garage on his 16th birthday so that when he is 60 years old he will never have to say "**** I wish I had never sold that car".
(No, I did not put those "****" up there the system did... )

Question: Do they really make Alfas in any other color then red?
Answer: Well they really do. I fell in love with a Dark Blue Spider on BAT.
I have not done over to the dark side, only the Blue side.
It took me 50 years to see the light..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samakijoe View Post
I measured about 59" from wheel well to wheel well on my spider why couldn't you place a 4 x 4" on top of the lift and raise the car. That would also give you 4" more room under there to work. I'm thinking a 2 x 6 could probably be used. There's only about 7" overhang on each end.

Because your car is lowered and it won't fit

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:59 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
Because your car is lowered and it won't fit
I measure 8" floor to jacking points on my car.

I just called "Quick Jack" and they say the the unit is 3" tall before you extend the unit to jack up the car so I would say that there is enough room to use the 4x4...

(Little) Washington, NC Incorporated 1776
Red 1959 Spider Conrero Veloce 100,000 miles
sold 1966 ( I had no idea what I had there.)
Red 1967 Spider 100,000 miles sold 1974
Red 1987 Milano 100,000 miles sold 1994
Red 1969 Spider 109,000 Miles in the garage, Sold
Dark Blue 1974 Spider (arriving soon)

We need a law, one that says every male gets a 10 car garage on his 16th birthday so that when he is 60 years old he will never have to say "**** I wish I had never sold that car".
(No, I did not put those "****" up there the system did... )

Question: Do they really make Alfas in any other color then red?
Answer: Well they really do. I fell in love with a Dark Blue Spider on BAT.
I have not done over to the dark side, only the Blue side.
It took me 50 years to see the light..
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by samakijoe View Post
I measure 8" floor to jacking points on my car.

I just called "Quick Jack" and they say the the unit is 3" tall before you extend the unit to jack up the car so I would say that there is enough room to use the 4x4...
When I say your car, I mean my car. I have a bit under 5 inches. Just saying the solution may not work for all.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:05 AM

Green,

I purchased the 5000# quickjack last spring for my '84 spider. Here is what i found. The frame slides under the car between the tires when it is all the way down, but it is close. however, when you start to lift the jack, the end of the frame starts to smash into the arc of the tire. So, I had to take an extra couple of minutes to use my floor jack to take the rear tires off first. Then you can adjust the jack to lift the car. As far as the rubber blocks go, they just barely reach the jack points when all the way out to the edge of the lift frame. My rocker panels are in good shape so i can put them just to the inside of the jack points and lift the car.

Hope that helps.
Green Meanie and Uaglio like this.
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:32 AM

Garage
When I first saw products like the Quickjack I wanted one quite a bit. After doing some more thought on it, I realized that I can get a car in the air just as quick and easy with my cheap "race" jack and jackstands. Having a 2nd jack in case something needs re-positioning helps, too. I'm gonna pass on these types of mini lifts and just wait until I have a good place for a full sized one.
IRONBLOCK and Uaglio like this.
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 01:13 PM

Garage
I did mine the silly way. My workshop happened to have a 11" drop between it and the garage. Actually works surprisingly well for ~$200.
Attached Images

Green Meanie and DanB like this.
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 08:54 AM
Gold Subscriber

samakijoe--Using wood on top of the jack would probably work for most Spider owners but, like nealric, mine's been lowered and I wouldn't have the 3.5" clearance needed for a 4 x 4 and am a little wary of a 2 x 6. Probably unwarranted but, for a few dollars more, would rather play it safe(ish)...

beaner922--Thanks for chiming in. I'll probably have to jack up the rear of my Spider too in order to clear the tires, which I understand defeats the purpose a little, but should be good for the Giulia TI. As for reaching the jack points, their initial 5,000 lb model (BL-5000) had a max lift spread of 50.5" but the SLX one is 60" so, tire clearance aside, it should be able to pick up the jack points pretty easily for the Spider and just barely for the Giulia.

AkioOhtori--Nice setup! I considered something like that since I have the same 11-inch drop between parking spaces. But when both cars are in there I wouldn't have room to pull the rear one forward enough. And I want to avoid pushing either of them outside during the winter. But I've found it's useful for oil changes and other wheels on front end work to pull them up to the edge of the drop and crouch under there.

Appreciate all the responses. My lift is scheduled to be delivered next Wed. Hopefully will have it set up by next weekend and will post some photos.

thanks,
Jim

Jim McDonald
Minneapolis, MN
'74 Spider
'70 Giulia 1300TI
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Jim,
Please share your thoughts when it arrives! Even down to the unwrapping fun. As the op, I'm still extremely interested.
😎

[B][I][U]Current[/U][/I][/B]
1984 Spider Veloce Deluxe
1969 GT 1300 JR
1969 1750 Spica Spider Veloce
1963 MGB
1952 MG TD
Others??!!!😃😃

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode