Sudden loss of power - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By ghnl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Sudden loss of power

This has happened couple of times now, when I'm driving the car and all of the sudden I loose the power and the car comes to full stall because of the lack of gas. The car is running and I'm pushing the gas but no power until it dies slowly! After which starts right away with no issues and runs fine! I hate to see it happen in the highway! Thanks for helping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 05:01 AM

I had a similar problem as the car would suddenly lose power I would coast to a stop then it would start back up.
I my case it was the ignition switch. To get to this conclusion The mechanic replaced the TA on the Spica FI. both fuel filters none of which was a fix. Replacing the ignition was the cure.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 06:37 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
The picture in your avitar makes me assume a Series 3 Spider - correct?

One clue as to whether the problem is lack of fuel or spark is to note what the tach needle does when it happens. The tach gets its signal from the coil. If the tach needle drops right away (to its rest stop at ~ 500 rpm) then the problem is ignition related. If the needle drops slowly as it dies then problem is likely lack of fuel.

That doesn't directly tell you what the problem is but it will help focus the investigation. That it will start again (right away?) it seems more likely an electrical problem. It could be a faulty ignition switch, loose electrical connection, etc.
saniei and Norseman50 like this.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 03:43 PM

Check your fuel filter and fuel pumps (both). Crud in the system will give you those symptoms and they won't improve anytime soon.

Jeff
1989 Graduate S3
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 07:03 PM

My S3 does something similar when the fuel tank goes below one-half full. Can this be an in-tank fuel pump/filter issue? Car runs fine when tank is full.......
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 07:21 PM

I have an '83 with the Bosch FI. I hade a similar problem a few years ago and it turned out to be a bad sensor. The sensor is located on the fly wheel. There are two them, one I think is a speed or RPM sensor the other is sensor is used as a reference point of some kind, but don't quote me this happened about ten years ago. It is an easy check with a multi meter. Just check the site for info. Someone did a write of how to check these components.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I have an '83 with the Bosch FI. I hade a similar problem a few years ago and it turned out to be a bad sensor. The sensor is located on the fly wheel. There are two them, one I think is a speed or RPM sensor the other is sensor is used as a reference point of some kind, but don't quote me this happened about ten years ago. It is an easy check with a multi meter. Just check the site for info. Someone did a write of how to check these components.
Thanks! Those sensors have checked out ok!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrmrk View Post
My S3 does something similar when the fuel tank goes below one-half full. Can this be an in-tank fuel pump/filter issue? Car runs fine when tank is full.......
sounds like a classic symptom of the in tank pump "stepped hose". When it cracks or leaks the pump pulls in air when gas is below half level. When tank is full the hose is submerged and works sorta normally...
remove pump and check hose (if replacing use only submersible fuel hose)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/970380-post3.html

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode