Time for a new head gasket? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I took the valve cover off last night and the valve clearances are all within spec (I adjusted them within the past year) and the timing marks on the cam shafts are pretty much right on. I like the idea of blowing air into the spark plug hole with both valves closed, I'll try that tonight. I also noticed that the oil in the sumps under the cams smells like gas, but that's not surprising if a cylinder is leaking compression into the crankcase somehow.

I got all the brass nuts off the exhaust manifold, but I'm having trouble getting it to break free from the head so I soaked everything with PB Blaster last night. Hopefully that will do it.

Thanks everyone!

85 Alfa Graduate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 03:47 PM
Gold Subscriber

When pressurizing the cylinder, make sure it is exactly on TDC. Off a little and the engine will turn over.

MEMBRO LATO OSCURO

69 850 Spider (A fond college days' memory)
81 Spider Veloce
Downstate Illinois SNO Director
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 07:19 PM

"I got all the brass nuts off the exhaust manifold, but I'm having trouble getting it to break free from the head so I soaked everything with PB Blaster last night. Hopefully that will do it. "

Try putting a jack under the exhaust to releve pressure and then use a a pry bar to (gently) pull ex. manifold away from the head.
Norseman50 likes this.

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Don - 1984 Spider Veloce[/FONT]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I got the head off yesterday (thanks for the tip dghii) and was able to get a good look at the valves. Attached is a photo of no. 1 cylinder, showing a pretty severely burned rim of the exhaust valve near the spark plug hole. From what I've read, replacing valves is a job for someone who actually knows what they're doing. What would cause a valve to burn like that? Also, what are my options here? Do I buy a rebuilt head from Centerline ($600, assuming mine is acceptable as a core), or are there other shops that can fix this one? Would this have caused any other damage in that cylinder (rings for example)?

Thanks again for all your help!
Attached Images

85 Alfa Graduate

Last edited by gdpedersen; 09-21-2015 at 06:54 AM.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 07:38 AM

something odd here

you say you have never had the head off? So how long have you owned the car?
That combustion chamber is just too clean......

what is the history of this car.....did it ever run perfect for you?

EDIT: got photo of the other chambers and the top of piston #1?

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 09-21-2015 at 07:43 AM. Reason: add
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 07:38 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Your best course of action depends upon the condition of the seats. Others may speculate on the cause of the burned valve. The combustion chamber is extremely clean, possibly an indication of a very lean mixture.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpedersen View Post
I got the head off yesterday (thanks for the tip dghii) and was able to get a good look at the valves. Attached is a photo of no. 1 cylinder, showing a pretty severely burned rim of the exhaust valve near the spark plug hole. From what I've read, replacing valves is a job for someone who actually knows what they're doing. What would cause a valve to burn like that? Also, what are my options here? Do I buy a rebuilt head from Centerline ($600, assuming mine is acceptable as a core), or are there other shops that can fix this one? Would this have caused any other damage in that cylinder (rings for example)?

Thanks again for all your help!
that valve and valve seat don't look burned to me... it looks like a piece broke off and the valve in the next cyl over looks like shrapnel has been hammering around in there . I think that valve issue is a result of something else going on... not root cause.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

I've owned the car for 15+ years and my daughter owned it for a couple of years before that. I've put about 30,000 miles on it since then and it has not had the head off in that time. It ran great until this summer when it started missing, backfiring and idling poorly.

I also noticed that the No. 1 chamber was a lot cleaner than the others. Here's my theory: since it had zero compression in that cylinder (and I probably drove it 100 miles that way), the air/fuel mix was not getting compressed and therefore not igniting and the unburned fuel scoured the chamber. Does that make sense to anybody else? I can post more photos tonight.

I'm concerned that the unburned fuel may have also washed the cylinder walls and wore the rings in that cylinder. That would explain the positive pressure in the crankcase. I did pressurize the cylinder before I took it apart and the air came out the tailpipe, which the condition of the exhaust valve would explain.

85 Alfa Graduate

Last edited by gdpedersen; 09-21-2015 at 09:20 AM.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Steve,
I'll take a closer look tonight when I get back to it -- and take some photos. The edge of the valve looked eroded to me, not broken and the shape is very symmetrical, but I've never seen either condition before, so what do I know? If chunks of the valve did break off and bang around in the chamber, that would explain the clean aluminum. Piston 1 is at TDC and I haven't yet rotated the crank to take a look at the cylinder wall. Other than a disintegrating valve, I can't think of any way shrapnel would get into a combustion chamber. The piston heads look to be ok, as I recall.

85 Alfa Graduate
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Steve,
I'll take a closer look tonight when I get back to it -- and take some photos. The edge of the valve looked eroded to me, not broken and the shape is very symmetrical, but I've never seen either condition before, so what do I know? If chunks of the valve did break off and bang around in the chamber, that would explain the clean aluminum. Piston 1 is at TDC and I haven't yet rotated the crank to take a look at the cylinder wall. Other than a disintegrating valve, I can't think of any way shrapnel would get into a combustion chamber. The piston heads look to be ok, as I recall.

I think this is all academic except for the sake of discussion and education. the bottom line is that at that mileage etc, it needs a freshening anyway ... I can't imagine you would put a fresh head on a 100k bottom end ... ive seen a lot of burned valves in my career and the ones ive seen look quite different and the seats always take a beating in the same area ... your stuff doesn't have those witness marks that I can see. I do agree with you relative to the cleanliness of the cc as far as the washing action... I can imagine that happening and often motors with weak rings will end up with very clean chambers as well. look... for me the path is clear. 8 new valves, cut the seats , skim the head , do the rings and bearings and that's it. if you have the money do a set of pistons and liners with a set of total seal rings and then do another 100 k on it and never look back.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 10:54 AM

I can't recall reading if you have found the piece that broke off the exhaust valve?
The bright side to this- a fresh engine is always nice

86 spider Veloce
74 TR6
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

John533i, I didn't find any bits of the valve in the chamber when I pulled the head. They could have gotten broken up and blown out the exhaust, I guess. And thanks for the bright side. Since the car spent its early life in Arizona and has been stored winters up here in the frozen North, the body is in excellent shape with no rust. So it is worthy of a refreshed engine.

Steve, I'm slowly coming around to your point that I should do rings and bearings along with the head rebuild. A couple of days ago I was thinking this was a $100 head gasket job, so I'm still getting over the shock of bottom end work. Now I'm wondering if I want to tackle the work myself. I've never pulled the engine and trans, but with the head off it looks like I'm about halfway there. It would be an interesting challenge for the off season, and with a rented hoist and the excellent help of this forum I may be able to get through it.

85 Alfa Graduate

Last edited by gdpedersen; 09-21-2015 at 12:15 PM.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
John533i, I didn't find any bits of the valve in the chamber when I pulled the head. They could have gotten broken up and blown out the exhaust, I guess. And thanks for the bright side. Since the car spent its early life in Arizona and has been stored winters up here in the frozen North, the body is in excellent shape with no rust. So it is worthy of a refreshed engine.

Steve, I'm slowly coming around to your point that I should do rings and bearings along with the head rebuild. A couple of days ago I was thinking this was a $100 head gasket job, so I'm still getting over the shock of bottom end work. Now I'm wondering if I want to tackle the work myself. I've never pulled the engine and trans, but with the head off it looks like I'm about halfway there. It would be an interesting challenge for the off season, and with a rented hoist and the excellent help of this forum I may be able to get through it.
well... I would think that w/the head off , the rad and water pump and ancillaries off that you could separate the engine from the box in the car and you and your buddy could lift it out w/ a chain and a pole between you pretty easy .. or you rent a lift... and the rest is pretty simple if you have ever done one before. if you have never done one before then find someone that's built any bottom end before . its not hard but its helpful if you know the difference between good parts and bad ones if you hold them in your hands and be able to id any troublesome stuff that may become evident when you have the pan off. either way , I think a full freshening is in your future. its just a matter of your skill set whether you do it or someone else does.

I never had a close look at mine but on the older ones, you could get the pan off in the car and do a freshening like this without taking the motor out at all... can you get the pan off these late cars in the car ? if so, you can be out of this job in a weekend.

Last edited by stevesxm; 09-21-2015 at 01:00 PM.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I have removed an engine and left the gearbox in the car - it was easier than pulling the engine + gearbox together, but it was a bear to re-install. I only did it once and I have gone back to pulling them together.
Norseman50 likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
I have removed an engine and left the gearbox in the car - it was easier than pulling the engine + gearbox together, but it was a bear to re-install. I only did it once and I have gone back to pulling them together.
do you know if the pan will come off w/ the motor in the car and maybe jacked up off the mounts ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode