Fuel injectors - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Fuel injectors

The fuel injectors on my 1988 Spider are original. I am going to replace the injector hoses, and thought about also taking the advice of a recent thread and replacing the seals as well.

But my real question is what is the life of a fuel injector itself. My car runs fine and when I thought I "might was well" replace the injectors with the hoses and seals I was surprised at the cost at IAP. These things are not cheap. However, I also read that the rubber inside the injector breaks down over time.

After seeing how much these things cost my inclination is to leave the injectors and seals alone and just repolace the hoses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
You can get them cleaned, get new filters and pintle caps plus new outer o-rings for plug in to manifold here by Rich at www.cruzinperformance.com for about $12 each. Rich does good work gives you printed report on preclean test and post clean flow test results.

I have had him do a lot of 164 injectors for me.

Just get hose/metal ring and clamp kits from IAP and some extra 7.5 mm hose from them to do long hoses to fuel rail. Get extra kit so you can have extra metal rings for cold start hose and main feed hose.

Get outside new rubber rings for injector housings to set into, too.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 12:12 PM

If you have them out it would be a good idea to have them cleaned, the part number from Advance I posted earlier will include both the large and small seals for all 4 injestors, I guess the hardest thing about them is the snap rings that holds the large seal.I forgot when I posted initially but these are special order, pay one day pick up the next. Now your question "how long do they last", don't figure anyone can say for sure but my Maxima with Bosch injection system is about to roll 262,000 miles with the original ones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisto Steve View Post
www.cruzinperformance.com

Just get hose/metal ring and clamp kits from IAP and some extra 7.5 mm hose from them to do long hoses to fuel rail. Get extra kit so you can have extra metal rings for cold start hose and main feed hose.
I sent mine to him and he sent me back new hoses and the cap style clamps already installed for just a few bucks more. It's worth it to do rather than pay a lot at IAP.

'82 Spider Veloce - (Megasquirt II V3.0, distributorless EDIS)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Nice to know, thanks for that added info as 164 injectors don't use hose kit.

Ciao, Alfisto Steve
Lakeland, Florida
Virginia Beach, Virginia
AROC 164 Tech Advisor

My Maintenance Sticky:

Alfa Semi-Daily driver: USA model - BB2 1991 164S Black Beauty II ALFISTO [U]

[U] BB1 1991 164L w/S engine and A/T now excess to inventory [U]

Daily driver and parts hauler but not car hauler 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L H.O. V-8

"A day without an Alfa whine is like a day without sunshine"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode