86 Spider brake part number help - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2007, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

86 Spider brake part number help

Hi all. I just bought an 86 alfa spider and this is my first post. I just got the car home and the brakes were really mushy. I started bleeding the brakes and noticed there is a leak from a connector on the back brake line. I don't have a repair manual yet so I cant identify the exact part. I'm hoping one of you may help me identify it. The part Im trying to find is a brakeline junction that is bolted to the rear axle. It's the part that both the rear left and right brake lines screw into from the main rubber line. Any ideas what and where I can get this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:51 AM

Welcome Joe, First I would really eyeball the part again to insure the rubber line isn't the culprit. Next you need to go ahead and contact I.A.P. and set up a weekly direct deposit from your savings account as I have (just kidding) bi-weekly. If they don't have what you need check out the suppliers list located in the top thread on the home page or check out the used part section. Good Luck http://www.international-auto.com/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 10:15 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Yeah, unless the junction was damaged, it is unlikely it'd leak itself. More likely is a fitting is leaking. Have you tried tightening the lines atached to the junction?

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys

It is the junction. When you depress the brake tons of fluid comes out of the top of the junction. The guy that I bought it from was great about keeping service records and I found a reciept from 1990 showing the rear brake line (the one thats leaking now) was replaced. I just pulled it andit looks like someone crossthreaded the new line or used the wrong size plus the tab was broken on the junction where it bolts to the transaxle. The new line that was put in has a 12mm head and the original is 11mm. I'll call international tomorrow. Thanks for writing me back. Im really excited about this car. I've wanted a spider since I was a little kid and I couldn't pass this one up. It's been in storage for almost 10 years with only 39k original miles.
Thanks
Joe
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 11:53 AM
BB Janitor

Garage
OK, so it sounds like the junction is boogered. Too bad. It may not be an easily sourced replacement item in that it is not a normal service part (like brake pads or brake hoses.

If you can't locate a new one, try contacting Alfa Parts Exchange to see if they can sell you a good used part. Note: they don't update their web page but if you call them a knowledgeable human type person will answer.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 02:33 PM

Denoya Trading would probobly be a good source for that part as well.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Denoya trading?

John,
Where do I contact Denoya? Also, do any of you guys think there may be a generic part? By the ay, Here's a picture of the part.
Thanks
Joe
Attached Images

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 05:58 PM
BB Janitor

Garage
I was thinking you may be able to take your old part to a decent auto parts supply store and find something close. As long as the threads are the right size and it has a way to mount it, why not?

Don't ask for it as an Alfa Romeo part, though. They'll probably say, "a what?". Just bring the part and say, "got anything to replace this?"

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 06:00 PM

Joe, I could be wrong but I think they sell used parts which are fine especially in this application but I took it you were looking for new. I started searching the parts for sale thread here on the bb and there are quite a few Spiders being parted out there. since you have your pic of the part I would read there and start inquiring. Good Luck
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I don't care if it's used or not. I did just find the exact oem part new but it's in the UK. The site calles it a brake union. Thanks again for all your help!
Joe
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Ok, now Im really frustrated. I found the part, ordered it and new brake lines but just realized that some Einstein tapped the caliper to either a larger fitting or SAE. They also tapped the block and thats what caused the leak. Will it work if I have someone make me a line with metric on one end and SAE on the other? Will the line diameter work for that? Or any other ideas other than buying a new caliper?
Thanks
Joe
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 07:19 PM

I'm sure it will work if your sure of the threads that have been cut in the caliper, make sure you or whoever puts a double flare on the line not a standard flare. Or to avoid finding out it might not work so well or: there is garbage in the caliper once you are finished, see if you can find a good recent removed used caliper and be done with it and still have everything correct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode