Interesting Oil Pump failure - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 07:09 AM
GTD

John
That's one dream you can keep to yourself!
We don't want to read about you popping your relief valve.

Alfa Sapiens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Why oil pumps break

I can't read the procedure that Papajam posted, but I'll bet it addresses this problem:

The mounting flange for Alfa oil pumps are at an angle relative to the shaft. There is a fat O ring between the pump's mounting face and the surface it attaches to at the bottom of the front cover. If you simply tighten the 3 bolts that hold the pump to the cover, you will often find that the shaft won't turn easily. The problem is either that the parts either have some tolerance in the angle between the shaft axis and the mounting surfaces, or that the pump "rocks" a bit on the O ring as it is tightened. Either way, this misalignment puts a bending stress on the shaft, the hole where the pin goes is the weakest point, and it will fatigue. This generally happens within the first few hundred miles after a pump is installed.

Sure, new shafts may fatigue more readily than old ones - I'm not saying the heat treating stuff isn't true, or doesn't contribute. And, no, I can't explain why a pump would die after 40,000 miles (maybe it was only slightly misaligned)

But, the best way to install an oil pump is with the front cover off the block, tightening the three bolts slowly, and checking that the shaft will turn freely. I put some loctite on the bolts, and tighten them just snug - not super tight - tinkering with the relative tightness of the 3 bolts to ensure that the shaft is turning OK.

If you engine is assembled, in theory you can use a large screwdriver in the distributor drive to wobble the shaft within the lash of the drive gears to ensure that it isn't binding. I have never tried this - it would seem to take two people - one standing up feeling the shaft rotation, and one on his back under the car tightening the oil pump bolts.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 09:27 AM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
I learned about centering the oil pump when I first started wrenching on Alfa's. I am sure others can chime in on what they do, so this is just my opinion. I install the oil pump and the three bolts. As I tighten down the bolts, I spin the drive shaft making sure the pump gear doesn't bind, until the bolts are all the way home. If you just bolt the pump down, chances are it isn't centered, putting some axial load on the shaft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
dwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajam View Post
Alfa offers up these installation instructions.
Thanks, Jim. Thoughtful of you to post this info.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 02:41 PM
MrT

Uh-oh. Does this centering issue rear its head for the V6 also? I didn't do anything like this for my wife's 164S engine when I reassembled it. It's not an attractive thing to have to pull the engine back out, but better than breaking an oil pump, I guess.

Michael
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 04:48 PM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
164 Oil Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT View Post
Uh-oh. Does this centering issue rear its head for the V6 also? I didn't do anything like this for my wife's 164S engine when I reassembled it. It's not an attractive thing to have to pull the engine back out, but better than breaking an oil pump, I guess.

Michael
Now you raise a very good question!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode