Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern Indiana
Okay, I got it out. I drilled another hole, and chipped out enough of the head that I could get a screwdriver in and pry the bolt loose. Once I was able to get it moving, it came out easily.
That's when I discovered that the switch I bought (3 wire Sipea) is about a centimeter too long. I've just ordered a 4 wire with the shorter barrel from another supplier, and the sales guy was pretty surprised to learn that the barrel length was different between the two.
So it looks like I'll be hotwiring my car for another week or so. This gives me a great opportunity to straighten up all of the wiring underneath the dash, dip the unused wires in some "liquid tape" so that they don't short against anything, and clean up the contacts on the fusebox and connectors.
The hard work is done, I'm happy to say, and I didn't need the blowtorch.
Hey Cliff, that is a great suggestion, and it's the first thing I tried. But in my case, the screwdriver just couldn't apply enough force. I ended up tearing up my slot. In retrospect, I probably should have cut a deeper slot, but I was already cutting into the steering column casing as it was.
Current: '78 spider with dual Webers and lots of smiles.
Former: '86 Spider that now lives a mere 30 miles away.