New poster, 67 Duetto Restore questions - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

New poster, 67 Duetto Restore questions

Greetings all,
Wish I had found this list before I embarked on my Duetto restoration journey. A couple of years ago I hauled home a 67 Duetto that had been sitting in my fathers barn in Minnesota for close to 30 years. My father gave it new paint, upholstery and carpet before parking back in 1976 after the brake calipers froze up and the clutch started slipping. After trailering it back home to Bellingham Washington I discovered more than just the brakes were frozen. The local rodents had gone through what was left of the exhaust system and trashed the cylinders with nuts and droppings. The car has 56K on it and is all original. In the last couple of years Iíve rebuilt the engine, brakes/lines, exhaust, fuel tank/lines, top, ball joints, tie-rods - etc... you get the picture! As you all know this car is a blast to drive and is now my motorcycle replacement (last summer alone I witnessed 2 M-cycle fatalities on my bike), just as fun without having to wear all that gear!

The most frustrating part of the work has been the fact that I had to pull the engine again after the NEW main seal started leaking, the spring had come apart that keeps the seal tight around the crank. I also discovered a pin hole in the NEW water pump casting causing an oil leak out of the tach drive. I guess you could say they donít build Ďem like they used to!

Some Misc. questions:
I replaced the output shaft seal on the transmission while I had it out the second time and it seems Iím getting more leaking in that area now. Not sure if itís the seal or those two vents on the top by the gear selector, I made sure to smooth the shaft with fine emery cloth to remove any rust and put the trans. on end to test and there was no leaking before installation, any ideas?

Iím also wondering where the 2 large springs go for the top frame (if at all).

Also it seems my lower control arm bushings need replacing (creaking) and wondering how much of a wrestling match it is going to be to pull the old ones.
Thanks for the support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode