turn signals and radio cutting out? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

turn signals and radio cutting out?

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I've been on the board. Anyway, I have an electrical gremlin that has been driving me crazy on my 84. I'm not sure if I should post this here or the electrical section. Now for the problem. While driving down the road my turn signals and radio will stop working at random intervals. Both happen at the same time. Everything else functions fine. I have no idea where I should start. I believe there could be a problem with the turn signal relay. Any ideas on this one? I have messed with the grounds, but I can't find all of them. I also visually checked fuses. Should I just replace them all? Seems cheap enough and easy insurance. One last thing to mention, I have been chasing down a few of these electrical gremlins since the front fender got bashed in. This has been more recent but maybe related?

Thanks everyone,
Andy

1984 Spider Veloce
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 11:27 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Mabe related, mabe just weak clips in the fusebox.

They heat up depending on how much load is going through them, then you hit bumps and general vibration, and that now hotter metal is easier to bend.

Eventually you start to get things like flickering lights, or even outright blown fuses as they rattle up and down arcing and sparking in the clips. (they'll look just fine, but they won't work worth a nickle)

It also beats the hell out of the ends of the fuses, especially it they are lead strip type. Knocks a nice circular ding into them, and then they just stay loose until they are replaced and the clips tightened up.

Could even be a partially dislodged connection on the back of the fusebox as a result of the accident.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 06:41 AM
jmb

I had an issue with my front drivers side signal going out.There was a ground wire underneath near the bottom of the rad.I cleaned that it was OK.I thought it was for the headlights though but I was there and put the die grinder with a wire wheel on the connection area and cleaned it all up.the signal was OK after that.

There is one on each side near the rad.Good luck........I finally got most of my electrical issues resolved.

89 Spider Graduate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 07:02 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
According to the excellent wire diagrams that PapaJam provides, fuse #5 (counting L>R) controls the key buzzer, int. wipers, turn signals, fusebox light & radio. Sounds like you should start by cleaning the fuse contacts and replace that fuse. Even if it looks OK - replace it anyway.

It might also be a good idea to lower the fuse box and peek at the back. Look for any loose connections. Especially behind the location of the #5 fuse. (Here's how to drop the fuse box.)

Below is a look at the back of the fuse box in our '84 Spider. Note that the yellow plastic block in the bottom row is a little crooked. Among others, it was loose...
Attached Images

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much everyone! The picture helps a lot. I have papajam's wiring diagram, and it has been an excellent help. I will replace the #5 fuse and see how things work.

Thanks,
Andy

1984 Spider Veloce
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Yep, #5 fuse was loose. Radio is still acting up but I think it is just mad at me because it lost power. I am thinking about going through the whole fuse box and cleaning all the clips, then tightening them. The car had been stuck in the garage for the last week because I didn't want to take it into traffic without being able to signal, so today I took her out for a nice long drive. I even got to hit some nice empty twisty backroads.

Thanks again,
Andy

1984 Spider Veloce
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode