87 spider - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
PJN

87 spider

Hey, this is the machine I have been posting about. I consider the water pump a devil in disguise as far as removal and replacement. Only 56k original miles. It overheats so I had the radiator done and thought what the heck, might as well replace the water pump too. Oh how innocent we novices are! Cracked the gasket, bought another on ebay, but he sent five. Does anybody need water pump gaskets? Anyway, after 4 batched attempts finally got the pump installed. Now I'm waiting on the delivery of those two cushions that go with the two top radiator bolts. Ordered from Spiderpoint, so who knows when they'll get here. I did bleed the system and replaced the thrmostat but it still overheated on a day in the 90's with the air on. The car was passed on to me from my sister. I said no to her for about a year and then relented knowing that when it arrived I would become possessd and obsessed with the car. I live in the Phoenix area so this heating problem is a big deal. I want to drive with the air on and cruise on some day trips! Temp today may reach 110! I do have one thing to brag about, I installed the new top!

possessed and obsessed,

pjn
Attached Images

Last edited by PJN; 06-13-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:57 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
What did you have 'done' to the radiator?

BTW, your car looks very nice. Good job on the new top, too. And such a clean engine! (However your 0170 cap is on backwards...)

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
(However your 0170 cap is on backwards...)
Are you sure? It would appear to be correct from the drivers seat!?

Nice car...I used to live in Tucson, the Alfa people in Phoenix were great!!!

86 Spider
Sperry Stage 3 Heads
Shankle 7L cams
Some springs, shocks and poly urethane sprinkled about!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 04:58 PM

overheating

You'll never get the overheating fixed so you may well get rid of the car. PM me and I'll be glad to help you dispose of it...

Paul
76 Spider
71 Spider & many parts
67 BSA
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Gold Subscriber

Send a message via Skype™ to ecohen2
I have an 88 currently and had a 87. They both overheated with the AC on in stop and go traffic. If you run on the highway it will run hot, but won't overheat. My advice? Run with the top down.... Use the AC when its raining out and you need to de-fog the windshield.

If the AC is a must you might add an electric fan to the front of the radiator...

Ed

1986 Bertone
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
PJN

electric fan

i thought of an electric fan, but i have no idea how i would install it and tie it into the electrical.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
PJN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
What did you have 'done' to the radiator?

BTW, your car looks very nice. Good job on the new top, too. And such a clean engine! (However your 0170 cap is on backwards...)
had it cleaned out -said it was about a third restricted with crud.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJN View Post
i thought of an electric fan, but i have no idea how i would install it and tie it into the electrical.

My 87 Spider has an electric fan mounted in front of the radiator. It was a factory install for all Air Conditioned cars. I believe the electic fan is activated by a thermistor mounted on the fan shroud or if the AC compressor is running.

Dave

1987 Quad Spider
2006 Charger R/T x 2 (That's R/T with Road and Track Package)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 07:21 AM

Getting the radiator cleaned out, or rodded-out as they say is a waste of money. Mine did the same thing until I just replaced the radiator. While at it, I put in a new fan, new shroud and an oil cooler. The thing runs at exactly 175 degrees now, even if the outside temp is well over 100. I live in the California high desert, and it gets very hot.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
PJN

radiator replacement

what type of radiator did you install? how does the oil cooler install?
my temp with te cored radiator is better, but still above 175.

pjn
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:26 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
I believe the electic fan is activated by a thermistor mounted on the fan shroud or if the AC compressor is running.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelamm
Getting the radiator cleaned out, or rodded-out as they say is a waste of money.
Not if done by a reputable shop by someone that knows what they are doing.

Properly done, they remove both end covers then literally run rods and what looks like rifle bore brushes down through the cores, then boil it all out in a chemical bath.

As good or better than new, as it's on a one-off basis, not a production line assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJN
how does the oil cooler install?
Oil coolers generally install via an adapter bypass at the filter with a pair of lines re-routing how the oil flows through there. (pressure down a line, through a small radiator, back through a line to the filter then on to the engine)

Though there are types that have a thermostat built in which won't allow the bypass until the oil reaches X temperature.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

as hosted by

&
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
PJN

oil cooler

where do you mont the oil cooler radiator? If mounted somewhere under the car, I would be very nervous about it being road damged.

pjn
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 01:36 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

They're usually of a size where you can sneak them in somewhere in the area behind the air dam and bumper.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

as hosted by

&
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 04:55 PM

Tifosi is correct, that rad disassembly and rodding/boiling out the crud in the cores is the only fix for your original rad. Flush is a waste of time.
However I think it is false economy....When you have the rad unsoldered, you might as well go the extra step....for about $50 more you can replace the original 2 row core setup with a 3 row core.
After 20 years, the old rad core is not in perfect metallurgical shape, also it can have some dings (thin spots).

My experience anyway....Elio
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 07:24 PM
MrT

I don't think you mentioned the possibility that the thermostat isn't opening fully. You should look. Or just replace it. If you want to test it, just take it out and toss it into a pot of boiling water to see how much it opens. Forgive me please if I simply can't read, and you did mention it.

Michael

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode