88 Spider - door panels keep popping off in the rear... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

88 Spider - door panels keep popping off in the rear...

Hi,

I have an 88 Spider Quad. The rear edge of the door panels (both sides) pop out when the door is shut. It pops out along the rear and bottom edges, about 1/2" after a few door closes.

I've taken the door panels off, and replaced ALL the fasteners with new ones (10 years ago I did that...)...at least all the fasteners that I knew about! Anyway, the front of the panels are held in fine, but the rear doesn't have any screws, so what is supposed to keep the rear section of the door panels from popping out? It's certainly not those little white XMass trees...and they are all there...so my guess is something is missing.

The pictures in the service manual are pretty poor, and that's all I've had to go by as to what is supposed to be there.

Any suggestions how to keep those panels from popping out, aside from double sided tape or adding screws...I'd like to believe this originally they didn't pop out like this.

Thanks,

Austin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:28 PM

My 87 Veloce has has 2 or 3 screws (can't remember off the top of my head) along the bottom edge of the door panel. When you remove the panel, check to see if there are some predrilled holes in the door for the screws. Should be at the corners and middle of the panel if I recall correctly.

RG's Spider -87 Spider Veloce
Bedford, MA
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Hi RG,

I'm in Harvard, MA BTW.

It's a quad, so the bottom half of the door panel has a moulded armrest as well as a door pocket. The front edge, where the speaker is, has three screws...but none are able to be put as far as I can tell, along the rear or bottom edge. But, I certainly could take the door panel off and check for missing fastener holes! But, even if I did put some lower ones in, the rear top edge would still come loose.

Best Regards,

Austin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 03:09 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
I assume RG is referring to the screws circled in the pic below (our '84 Spider Veloce).

If the clips you have are not holding, try a little bit of hot melt glue (from a 'glue gun'). It'll hold strong enough to keep the panel in place but, if/when you need to remove the panel, it will come off without damage. Don't over-do it, just a couple of 1/4" dia drops of glue between the back of the panel and the sheet metal.
Attached Images

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Hi Eric,

The 88 Quad door panel is different. I should post a picture.

It has three screws along the front lower edge, but those are through the speaker "box", and none towards the rear lower edge. The hot glue idea may be a very good one if I have all the fasteners correct, and there aren't any missing/bad ones. Thanks!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Here is a picture of the door (my first picture upload...let's see if this works).

Note, there are only three screws along the front lower edge. None towards the back, and no obvious place for them. The armrest etc. black piece is held on to the door panel from the rear, though there is a screw at the base of the door pull to screw this securely to the metal behind the door panel.

It's so nice and clean, it seems a shame to put screws through the panel to secure it if they aren't needed. I could see putting one (if there is metal behind it) in the upper right most section in the door pocket insert. That would take care of the bottom rear, but the top rear would still pull away somewhat even with that in place. I just find it hard to believe they came this way (door panels popping out) from the factory!

Regards,

Austin
Attached Images

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 04:24 AM

I am very familiar with the door panels from hell. The things that ruin them are moistier, other people, and doors out of alignment. There should be a screw under the reflector in the back of the door panel(probably the 1 thats missing), 3 screws under the speaker cover (in the holes at the cover mounting bases), and 2 in the door handle.Later on they added 3 screws for the map pocket, 2 at each bottom corner (up out of view) and 1 under the armrest but above the map pocket, in the rear.Early production models had less screws, so if you could look at later versions of the Quad you might see a difference. The most important clip is the one in the upper rear portion of the panel. Lastly be a super slueth and find out what the door panel catches on, it could be a deformed door seal. Hope the best Eric

Last edited by AutoSport; 06-14-2007 at 04:33 AM. Reason: more info
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 04:32 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via AIM to john.harrill
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSport View Post
I am very familiar with the door panels from hell. The things that ruin them are moistier, other people, and doors out of alignment. There should be a screw under the reflector in the back of the door panel, 3 screws under the speaker cover (in the holes at the cover mounting bases), and 2 in the door handle. The most important clip is the one in the upper rear portion of the panel. Lastly be a super slueth and find out what the door panel catches on, it could be a deformed door seal. Hope the best Eric
AutoSport is correct. There are fasteners toward the rear/bottom of the panel. To see them you have to lay under the door and look up.

Currently Owned:
1957 Giulietta Spider (Maria - Home from the painter!!)
1988 Quadrifoglio (Tony)
1987 BMW 653CSI (Gustav)
2002 VW Passat Wagon V6
2012 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Gone, But Not Forgotten:
1966 Giulia Sprint GT
1994 164LS 5-Speed

Working on:
1959 Giulietta Spider - Restoration
1967 Fiat Dino Coupe - Restoration
1967 Duetto - Freshening
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Thankyou for the very informative replies! There ARE fasteners all over the door...along the back edge, along the bottom...but these are push in fasteners, not screws...and they just aren't "strong" enough by design (and they all are new!) to hold the weight of the door panel in. This door panel is heavy due to the armrest.

It does have the three screws along the bottom of the speaker cover, and I believe it also has two in the door pull/handle (that all seems to work just fine). But, there is no screw behind the reflector, and IS probably one that is missing! I'll pull the reflector (I assume it pops out easily) and see what I can see. But, that doesn't solve the rear top edge problem...

You say "The most important clip is the one in the upper rear portion of the panel.". This is where I am having a major problem! Would you please elaborate? There is a metal pin in the upper right, and it goes into a plastic receiver in the door...(and that receiver is new...the pin is part of the door panel assy) but that certainly doesn't do much to hold the panel on! If that is supposed to do more, I'd sure like to know how to fix that.

Does anyone have an 89 or 90 Quad they can post a picture from their door panel that shows any of these additional screw locations, and/or a properly installed upper rear "clip" mentioned?

Best Regards,

Austin
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 06:08 AM

The upper rear part of the door panels have a metal pin and the clip is a one time use only application, it is not reused. Call dean at Trail Auto for this clip-800 445 2532
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 06:38 AM

The metal pin in the top upper portion of the door panels inserts into a special 1 time use only plastic clip. I have always aquired these from Dean at Trail Auto 800-445-2532
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

I pulled the panel away from the door frame, and lo and behold, there are two screw holes along the bottom edge of the door frame at the lower corners of the map pocket, and there are two holes in the rear edge of the door frame where the reflector is in the armrest. So, that clears up the lower door panel problem! I'll go get some black trim screws, drill holes in the panel to match the holes in the door frame, and secure those. There may also be one near the top front of the map pocket, as shown in the diagram in the service manual, but I couldn't see that just pulling the panel away.

I'll call Dean and see if he has any of those one-use receivers, and hopefully, that will solve the top rear problem!

Thank you very much!

Austin
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Are these the clips that the rear upper metal "stud" on the door panel "plug in" to:
Attached Images

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Lucky for me, I had a few of these "clips" new in my parts box...so I installed them (the door had some opaque white soft plastic thing in there that I removed) and now the tops of the doors stay nice and tight and don't pull away when I close the doors!

I wish the service manual had decent pictures. Gee, I could have fixed this TEN YEARS AGO with some decent pictures showing which fasteners go where...

So, now onto the other missing screws along the lower bottom and lower rear edge!

Thank you guys for all your help!

Best Regards,

Austin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode