Duetto steering - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Duetto steering

Update from previous post, jacked car up to release wheels from ground. It is a RHD car and so the steering box is to the right side of the driving position. The graunching noise is revised to a series of clicks (15 counted) as you rotate the steering wheel or road wheel anticlockwise (left turn) but there is no noise on rotating the wheel in the opposite direction. Tracking the noise proved difficult but it is on the drivers side (RHD remember) and is either the box or the top suspension swivel joint. Tried the tube method but could not determine the exact point of noise. Injected just over 1/8 pint of EP 90 oil to fill the box (which I mixed with the grease already in he box). Further diagnostic help sought to eliminate box or top swivel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 09:16 PM
i don't know about mixing oil and grease. I think it quite likely that you have some worn ball bearings. I have no clue how to remove the box on a RHD but I'm betting you would need to remove the carbs and intake manifold. The good news is that the balls are standards and readily available.

Good luck and take pictures...

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

I did think the clicking could be caused by a worn ball or balls or even a broken one. But I am curious as to why the noise is only present when turning to the left.
The suspension swivels are grease for life type and I have been informed that the noise could be from the grease drying out
There is no perceivable play in the steering, suspension swivels or track rods.
If I disconnect the drivers side track rod that would enable me to turn the steering independent of the road wheel. If the noise then persists it is the box. Is this a good way to diagnose as I don't want to remove the box if it is the swivel.
Do I have the Burman box, there is no peg with lock nut, just a domed plate held in with two screws on the box top, so what is this for?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode