Need Pressure Regulator - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Smile Need Pressure Regulator

I have a 1985 Alfa Romeo Spider and I just had new injectors installed. The car won't idle for very long. When I pinch off the return line the car will run. Would this be a fuel pressure regulator problem. If so where can I get one?Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 04:50 AM

New? IAP and VICK Autosport, around $60.

TTFN Elio
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 07:56 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Check the Suppliers Thread for lots of links to Alfa parts suppliers.

Tell us more about the symptoms. When you say 'it won't idle for long' do you mean the idle slowly drops over many minutes until it becomes more erratic and maybe stalls? Or it won't idle for even 1 - 2 seconds (it just dies right away)? What is your idle speed? If it is set too low and turning the idle adjusting nut makes no difference, it could be as simple as an age-hardened O-ring.

Here is a useful resource: Spider L-jet diagnosis. Intake air leaks can cause a start then stalls problem. A faulty AAV (Aux Air Valve) can cause all kinds of starting & idling problems. A mis-adjusted or faulty TPS (Throttle Position Switch) could lead to stalling when the engine tries to return to idle.

How much fuel is in the tank? When the fuel level drops below 1/2 full, a failed or weak in-tank pump can lead to running problems because the main pump isn't getting enough fuel to build proper pressure.

Before you replace the fuel pressure regulator I'd suggest a fuel pressure test. Maybe it is a faulty fuel pump (actually there are two - the in-tank pre-pump and the main high pressure pump under the car).

Here are some snips from the Alfa Shop Manual:
Attached Images

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode