So I pulled it off the trailer this morning. I have not had a chance to remove the top. It came with a stop storage stand which was nice.
So some assessment after giving it an Italian tune-up this morning:
* It's hard to start when cold. It coughs a bit while it's trying to wake up...finally after 10-15 seconds it falls into a decent idle. L-Jetronic loveliness.
* There is an exhaust leak that I knew about. Frankly, I think it needs a whole new exhaust.
* 2nd gear is a bit dodgy. Seems to shift ok INTO 2nd.....but coming back from 3rd or 4th into second it met with a crunch. What it is with Alfas and 2nd gear? haha. Although neither of my other Alfas have 2nd gear problems.
* The driveline needs a bit of taking care of. The previous owner had replaced either the guibo behind the transmission or the guibo and the bearing. Something is not aligned now because there is a bit of vibration, etc. I knew this buying the car. I could take the driveshaft off and have it balanced, or figure out if there is a center bearing or guibo problem. Either way, this needs to be taken care of.
* The suspension is a bit soft and aged for my tastes. Konis and a set of IAP springs (or whatever the suspension de jour happens to be these days) should do the trick. And maybe new bushings and tie rod ends.
Otherwise, it seems to drive pretty nicely for a 1960s nee 1980s Italian car. A few questions for the gallery here:
* Suggestions for exhaust? I'd like something that might open up a slight bit of power but more importantly, one that makes that Nord sound super sweet.
* Suggestions for suspension? I'm more of the tight and stiff suspensions (I used to have an R-package Miata and loved that-while some complained of those cars being too stiff).
* Any ideas on that driveline?