Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Radiator replacement options.

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  maxwedge 
#1 ·
I just got my spider on the road last week after an engine transplant, had a local radiator shop go through the radiator out of my parts car, since mine was missing, they told me it was questionable but probably would be ok for a while, I figured $30 sounded better than $400 soo...
Anyway, it didn't last a week and leaks again they are now telling me it needs a new core because this one is shot. I thought the $375 re-core price was outrageous for that tiny little thing. I had a huge custom radiator built for a 429 mustang about 10 years ago for about $400. IAP lists a new stock one for my spider at $390. I'm just wondering what my other options may be. Is there a cheaper source for stock replacement, or have radiator prices really gone up that much in the last ten years? Is there a radiator out of some other vehichle that works and may not be so pricey? I'm all for better cooling if there is an option that works with some minor mods? With all the compact ricers out there, I would think there are some competively priced small aluminum radiators out there that may be adaptable? If not I think I would rather spend the $600 on an aluminum radiator if I'm gonna spend $400 on the stocker anyway.

#2 ·
The price of radiators HAS gone up

Ten years ago is ancient history. Since that time:

- The price of copper has gone up significantly, due to demand from China and the rest of the developing world

- The value of the dollar has gone down significantly, due to .... well, I don't want to get into politics here, but someone is benefitting, and it isn't the people who need new radiators!

So bite the bullet, and get your radiator rebuilt with a higher efficiency core.

#3 ·
I know the price of copper went up, but it also came back down a lot in the last few months too. I way too familiar as I build houses for a living and the pumbing and electrical prices are directly affected. Frankly I still think that's way high for something that small. That $375 quote was for stock core, not even high efficent. I'm finding a new Radiator shop if nothing else. Seems like I've seen someone advertising that custom built aluminum stuff in various hot rod mags for cars with a lot bigger motors for that much or even less than that,recently. Anybody know such a place...or did the price of aluminum suddenly spike today for no reason along with the gasoline.:D

#4 ·
#6 ·
get dimensions out of your radiator, and check local junkyard,
you can also convert from mechanical fan to electrical,
so after you will pull radiator fan shroud you have a quite a lot of space inside.

#8 ·
Well I went back into the radiator shop this am explained that I could buy new from several sources and was considering having a custom aluminum radiator built for a lower amount and suddenly the price came down to $270 for a re-core, and a better core too and be done tommorow. I guess that'll work.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.