Cowel vent question - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfizio View Post
Thanks all for this thread. My passenger side wiper is loose at the point where it connects to the cowling. I'm guessing there is a nut under there holding it on....
first make sure what is loose. Remove the wiper arm by cocking it up halfway off the screen then lifting the cap at the same time (the cap will not lift up fully, with the wiper arm on the screen!) which allows you to get to the nut. Hold the wiper arm as you undo that nut. The wiper arm should then pull off the serrated pin. Check that nut has not come loose, or the serrations have not worn round.

Quote:
...So if I understand correctly, I must unscrew four screws holding the cowl plate to the upper flange on the firewall and pull the plate forward away from the windscreen. I should then be able to flip the cowling over and tighten the connection. Have I got that right?
yes, but both wiper arms need to be removed, as they go thru the cowl, AND the lower chrome strip under the screen needs to be removed (one phillips head screw at each end and disengage from screen clips)

Quote:
Can I leave the nuts that carry windshield washer fluid in place on the plastic vent? I think that's what I see in the pic posted by Spiderserie4
yes.
Put a cloth or thick towel on the engine to lay the whole thing onto w/o scratching it
Sfizio likes this.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 10-16-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 04:08 AM

Garage
Thanks again @spiderserie4. Finally got around to tackling this job yesterday. It wasn't pretty but your insight helped greatly. My 82 is slightly different but the idea was the same. It came apart easily but was tough getting back together with all those clips on the bottom of the windscreen. Once apart, I was able to tighten up the pivot point of the wiper. The nut had come loose. I took the opportunity to clean up and grease all the mechanics so everything is working nicely. Shouldn't have to worry about it for another 50 years.

Spending my kids' inheritance one mechanic at a time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode