$98 Rust-oleum paint job - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneds 67 GT View Post
U We used tractor/implement enamel paint from a farm goods store, thinned it a bit and spray. Dry time takes a bit but the finish would probably surprise you. If it were blocked down and wet sanded, clear coat, I would think you could achieve very good results. Lots of work.
And this is why they invented automotive acrylic. Enamels take ages to dry and are very hard = time consuming to cut back. Acrylic can be sanded 30min after application and is easier to cut. Lots of coats and lots of cuts build up the surface and cover a host of problems. Enamel is also a bugger because the overspray stays wet and sticks to your boots

For trailers/tractors/lawnmowers where an ultimate gloss finish isn't required, enamels are easier because they gloss straight out of the gun and you only require a coat or two. Acrylic ALWAYS requires finishing.

Beatle
'85 Alfa 90 NSW Oztraya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 07:12 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
OK 1st coat is done.
That looks great! Better that some of the 10/10 driveway paint jobs I've done. (10/10 - looks good from 10 feet or above 10 mph...)

How fast did it dry? My worry is the bugs the wet paint always seems to attract.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 08:18 PM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
Hmm, a good synthetic paint brush with fine bristles, Rustoleum thinned so it flows, might be a decent paint job after all. Then you can put a nice gloss over the top of it with clear from a rattle can. You might have a winner there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 01:35 AM

That is fantastic! I might try this on my 164 while the motor is out!

'69 1750 GTV - XC70 Q4
'88 Spider Veloce
post #35 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 05:01 AM

I started reading through that long Mopar thread, man that thing is HUGE. It has been broken up into three parts, makes our V8 in a spider thread look puny by comparison :-). Anyway, I'm getting very interested in giving this a go on my Milano as I've got serious clear coat peel and some other issues but just can't justify spending big bucks painting it and then worrying about every time a rock comes flying my way while screaming down the highway... I'm only about 1/3 of the way through the thread so far but cheated and looked towards the end and found that one of the guys that tried it set up a web site, looks like the marine paint might be a better thing to use, has UV inhibitors and such in it:

http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx

and here from another guy that originally recommended the marine paint:

http://carpainting.wetpaint.com/page...e+Paint?t=anon

I plan on trying this method out on a spare hood and trunk I have to see how it goes.

Kevin

Currently Alfaless. Ex: 87 Verde, 86 GTV6, 67 Super, 86 Spider, 88 LeMons Verde
Milano registry custodian(
)

Last edited by kredden; 05-26-2007 at 05:14 AM.
post #36 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 05:42 AM

Maxwedge,

It looks great! Details please.......where did you get the paint, thinning mixture, rollers etc. As soon as you post the details I'm going out to buy some and try it on my Alfetta GT. I think Silver would look good on the Alfetta!!!

Thanks everyone for these ideas -

86 Spider
Sperry Stage 3 Heads
Shankle 7L cams
Some springs, shocks and poly urethane sprinkled about!!
post #37 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Sometime around 2:30 am I finished reading those threads. Right now I'm kinda torn between finishing with the Rust-Oleum and switching to Brightside. The Rusto trunk lid still looks great this morning, but there is the potential for still more durability and better gloss for just a few more bucks... I still have a lot of prep to do while I think about it. The car is actually really straight an ding free except for a crease down the pasenger quarter panel and door. It's on the curved part too so it's going to be a sob to get right with a gloss black over it. Hammer, dolly and torch time all day, woo-hoo!
post #38 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 09:01 AM

I called a local West Marine this morning and they have the colour I want in stock so I'm going to head over and pick up a quart to give it a try. I'm not expecting miracles but if it can give me a better than Maaco/Schaib paint job and I can touch it up easily I'll be happy, better than what I have now!

Kevin

)
post #39 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 01:18 PM

I painted my 84 spider in the backyard, but I used a High Volumn Low Pressure spray gun. I changed the color from dark grey (almost black) to Blue. Including all the pre-sanding, primer, a gallon of automotive paint, a gallon of reducer, two quarts of clears and two quarts of hardner. My total cost was about $250.00. I spent several days pre-sanding, then primer, more sanding, more prime.. more sanding...lots and lots of sand paper. I painted on a day with temp in the 70s, no wind, and low humidity. 3-coats of blue, the whole body, door jams, inside hood and trunk, then 3-coats of clear.. I spend two days wet sanding with 1200, 1500 and finally 2000 sandpaper, after that I buffed it with compound and then waxed it, and buffed it out again. it turned out pretty good for a backyard paint job...the main thing is prep before you paint and then lots of sanding....it takes a lot of time.
Attached Images

post #40 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 06:08 AM

Looks nice!

I picked up a can of the Fire Red, going by the can lid it is a much brighter red than what I have on the Milano. I'll have to see what it looks like on the spare trunk lid and/or hood colour wise, might be too red. Then again it might look nice, we'll see. Will be doing some sanding prep today.

Kevin

)
post #41 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

After a little reasearch I have decide to go with the Brightside marine paint, rolled on...still cheap...It's pictures like these that convinced me...

http://swoolmer.bigblog.com.au/data/...0927192423.JPG

unpolished brightside red roller job...

post #42 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 05:52 PM

I thought this paint comparison video might be of interest.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wGCgZfuPb1A

Greg
post #43 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 03:50 AM

Interesting video. From the reading I've done it really takes quite some time until some of these paints would pass the scratch test. Some can take weeks or longer till they get rock hard.

Maxwedge - what web site did you see the red car in your pick, do you know if that was the Fire Red?

Kevin

)
post #44 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 10:33 AM

here:
http://rollyourcar.com/gallery.aspx
The link is also above.. but takes some searching...
post #45 of 80 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kredden View Post
Interesting video. From the reading I've done it really takes quite some time until some of these paints would pass the scratch test. Some can take weeks or longer till they get rock hard.

Kevin
Somebody needs to make a video on painting their alfa with Thinned interlux or rustoleum...

'82 Spider Veloce - (Megasquirt II V3.0, distributorless EDIS)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode