Mr. Fiat Door Limit Straps - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Mr. Fiat Door Limit Straps

I finally got around to replacing the broken door limit straps on my 88 Grad (I'm starting to get to the small stuff )

I have read many of the posts about problems with new door straps, most notably how tight they can be, so I felt I was prepared for the job.

I ordered a pair of these straps:

When they arrived I noticed that there was only a single roller with each strap, which I assumed was a mistake. I wrote Mr. Fiat, and they were less than interested, pointing out that only a single roller is shown in the picture.

So, I ordered an extra pair of rollers from Centerline the next time I had an order large enough to offset any shipping charge.

Per the instructions I found on other posts, I assembled the replacement strap in the middle of the housing with 2 new rollers, and mounted the assembly in the door.

Holy Cow, was it tight. The door was so stiff that it would hold it's position anywhere along the swing open, and I was afraid to try and open the door all the way to the full open position because the final detent what so tight.

I thought about it for a while and finally wondered if the intent of this strap design was to use a single roller, so I took it all apart and re-installed it with a single roller. Sure enough, using only a single roller works pretty well. the door swings freely through it's travel, with just a slight detent at the full open position.

I looked closely during assembly, and there is no way that the strap could ever pull through the pins using only a single roller.

As I review some of the pictures of the straps in other posts it appears that the strap from Mr. Fiat is thicker, so maybe it was indeed designed to be used with a single roller ?

Hopefully this will help anyone planning to do this job.

1988 Spider Graduate - "Black Beauty"
"When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat. " - Henry Ford 1939
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 12:12 PM
jma
Gold Subscriber

I had a similar problem with replacement parts that look the same. With two rollers the new molded strap would not even fit between the rollers. Which roller did you leave out? And did you leave out its pin as well?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jma View Post
I had a similar problem with replacement parts that look the same. With two rollers the new molded strap would not even fit between the rollers. Which roller did you leave out? And did you leave out its pin as well?
Both pins are required.

If you imagine the door in the closed position, looking down from above the car, I put the roller on the pin towards the rear of the car.

I don't know if that was the right choice or not, but it made sense to me at the time.

-Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 09:46 AM

I have done very little work on cars. But I'm moderately competent. Is this job pretty straightforward?

What all do I have to disassemble in order to replace these?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 01:00 PM
jma
Gold Subscriber

The job is pretty straightforward. Two bolts hold the assembly onto the door. You have to drive a few pins out to free what is left of the old strap and the old rollers, and then drive them back with the replacement parts in place. You also need to pry the interior door panel off (about nine clips hold it in place) and break into the plastic barrier behind it.
My problem has been that the new strap apparently is not the same as the original. Hence the fit issues.
Attached Images

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Gold Subscriber

I just finished this project this weekend.

Got the new straps and rollers from Classic Alfa.

I did this on my '87 years ago so had some experience doing it on my '91.

You do have to be a bit careful when inslalling the straps. If you dont install the strap inside the bracket properly, you will never be able to install it in the door. Ask me how I know.

This issue of non fit has been here for years. And yet, the suppliers still sell us parts that dont fit!.

I think the straps themselves are good, its the rollers that are too big. I thought that by now, they will be right.

I installed them and gently rocked the doors back and forth until they were able to close.

By doing that, and it was not that easy, the straps are now deformed. The Driver side is curved, which isnt too bad, but the passenger side has a bend in it.

My rollers diameter were 11 mm thick. If you can, I would take a few mm's from each one.

Good luck,

Vin

1991 Spider Veloce - Red on Tan - Rosa Bionda
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio - Red on Grey - Rosa - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honey, this is the last thing I have to do, then I'm finished. It'll just be a minute.

Last edited by Vintre; 06-07-2015 at 01:20 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 05:32 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via AIM to LBinNM Send a message via Yahoo to LBinNM
Steve, here is my thread from replacing the straps on my 84 Spider.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...king-help.html

It's exactly the same issue you are dealing with.

Good luck,
Les

84 Spider
Nobody remembers the guy who finished second but the guy who finished second. Bobby Unser
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBinNM View Post
Steve, here is my thread from replacing the straps on my 84 Spider.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spid...king-help.html

It's exactly the same issue you are dealing with.

Good luck,
Les
Thanks Les, I had read your post before I started, it is good information.

I am quite satisfied with the Mr. Fiat straps using a single roller, I'm not going to tear everything apart again !!

-Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode