AFM Intake hose - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
AFM Intake hose

Hey Guys,

So today was the day... after weeks of working on the car (87 Quad) ... decided to take the car out for a trip to the car wash.

Car started on que.... backed out of the garage .... pulled onto the road... put it in gear.... car purring.... made it 50 yards

Turned it around.... started again... no problem... gave it gas... Whiplash doesnt describe the sensation.

Got it back in the driveway.... yelled "a bit".... opened the hood to find the AFM hose off. No big deal... put it back on... started up to make sure it was snug.... watched the **** thing slide off again.

So I put it back on, started the car again... this time I held the hose on... then I heard the leak..... The AMF intake hose was split badly at the "oval" end closest to the intake manifold.

Some rubber gasket sealant, rubber insert, and a full length wrap in rubber heat tape... and the car was running again.

My question is, can you get a "quality" reproduction intake duct or is this a make your own kind of deal. I know International Auto lists them... but have heard mixed reviews on fit/quality over the years.... any thoughts?

Many Thanks
M.L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 03:16 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Greg Gordon makes a nice replacement for V6 cars. You S3 Spider guys need something similar.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 03:31 PM

Garage
I solved the problem by adding shims to the airbox so it moved the airbox closer thus stopping the air hose from sliding off. I used some leftover plastic washers from a TV mounting kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 03:52 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRomeo1750 View Post
Car started on que.... backed out of the garage .... pulled onto the road... put it in gear.... car purring.... made it 50 yards
LOL!

Exact same thing happen to me when I first got the Alfa for the same reason. Only I couldnt't get her started on the road to drive back.

I had my teenage daughter with me. She had to help push the car back to the house. "This is soooooo embarassing" was said the whole way back and she couldn't get in the house fast enough.

We laugh about it today. Good memory we made together that day. Me, my daughter and the Alfa.

I was able to find a sweet spot where I could tighten the hose without it falling off.

It has fallen off a few more times, but its the first thing I check and I carry the proper screw driver wherever I go.

Good luck,

Vin

1991 Spider Veloce - Red on Tan - Rosa Bionda
1987 Spider Quadrifoglio - Red on Grey - Rosa - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honey, this is the last thing I have to do, then I'm finished. It'll just be a minute.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 04:03 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
I've heard this works.

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/store/1141

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 04:08 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I had the same issue before. Screw it on to much and it slips off.

I noticed when I replaced my motor mounts and the intake hoses, it fit together tighter.

Gary
87 Spider Veloce
Spring Hill, TN

As of 4/15/19: NEXT: Fix foot-well lights, shift knob. Enhance seats.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 12:03 AM

worn mounts do stress the AFM hose a lot more as the engine tends to tilt more to the right (whereas the airbox is fixed)
I put a thin strip of sticky tape once around the AFM lip and the Plenum lip where hose attaches. The rough/cloth type of tape, not the shiny slippery type.

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 05-18-2015 at 12:07 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode