Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Spider - 105 & 115 Series (1966-1994) (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/)
-   -   The Duettos used in the Graduate movie, are they still around? (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-105-115-series-1966-1994/412985-duettos-used-graduate-movie-they-still-around.html)

125xln 05-04-2015 12:43 AM

The Duettos used in the Graduate movie, are they still around?

What became of the Duettos that were used in the Graduate movie? Are they still on the road or resting as an investement in a garage somewhere? They must represent a good value today. Is there a source where there is more to learn?

Thanks

garwood1 05-04-2015 09:01 AM

I believe one ended up as a racecar...

Alfoonery 05-04-2015 09:14 AM

D. Magowan, owner of Alfa West in Denver, Colorado, has one of the three Duettos (set up as a racer for years) used in the film. I remember writing an article on this for the Alfa Owner years ago but do not remeber the fate of the other two. A picture of this car can be found in one of the three versions of Joe Benson's "Alfa Romeo Buyer's Guide."

Alfoonery

spiderserie4 05-04-2015 09:52 AM

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/248416-post6.html

Of the three cars used, I read (on BB somewhere ages ago) the third was destroyed.
Which leaves the second??

125xln 05-04-2015 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderserie4 (Post 6223233)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/248416-post6.html

Of the three cars used, I read (on BB somewhere ages ago) the third was destroyed.
Which leaves the second??

I have seen somewhere that they all ended up in CO?

kcabpilot 05-04-2015 06:28 PM

Curiosity led me to a number of "The Graduate" trivia sites where little was mentioned of the car other than it was a 1966 Alfa Romeo Duetto.

But in the process I learned at least a few interesting things:

Judy Garland, Ava Gardner and Doris Day were contenders for the part of Mrs Robinson.

In real life Anne Bancroft is only six years older than Dustin Hoffman

Sally Field, Patty Duke, Candice Bergen and Natalie Wood were considered for the role of Elaine

Warren Beatty, Robert Redford and Jack Nicholson for Benjamin

I didn't see mention of it but I'm sure someone, somewhere along the line wanted Benjamin to be driving a Sunbeam Alpine :whistling:

spiderserie4 05-05-2015 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcabpilot (Post 6224105)
Warren Beatty, Robert Redford and Jack Nicholson for Benjamin

I didn't see mention of it but I'm sure someone, somewhere along the line wanted Benjamin to be driving a Sunbeam Alpine :whistling:

I reckon Beatty would have driven a 356
Redford a horse
and Nicholson, well, what else!..a Harley (and a joint)!

Hoffmann got the duetto because of his uncle (or some relation) who owned Hoffmann motors, the european car importers.

Wille R. 05-05-2015 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderserie4 (Post 6224761)
I reckon Beatty would have driven a 356
Redford a horse
and Nicholson, well, what else!..a Harley (and a joint)!

Hoffmann got the duetto because of his uncle (or some relation) who owned Hoffmann motors, the european car importers.

:grin2:

AFAIK they used three Duettos, one being the Dale MacGowan racer now in Colorado. That one being a 1967 production BTW.

Bill 05-05-2015 06:43 AM

There is also a scene where Benjamin is driving through a tunnel and as he emerges he passes what appears to be a brown or dark green Super....could be wrong.

spiderserie4 05-05-2015 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 6225177)
There is also a scene where Benjamin is driving through a tunnel and as he emerges he passes what appears to be a brown or dark green Super....could be wrong.

if you find it add it to the imcdb site!(the best site for cars in movies)

IMCDb.org: "The Graduate, 1967": cars, bikes, trucks and other vehicles

Bill 05-05-2015 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderserie4 (Post 6225361)
if you find it add it to the imcdb site!(the best site for cars in movies)

IMCDb.org: "The Graduate, 1967": cars, bikes, trucks and other vehicles

Here is a screen shot and the link to the video clip.

spiderserie4 05-05-2015 11:56 AM

uhhm....don't think it is an alfa, tbh.
fiat maybe?

could be a Lada (very square, box thing), but I doubt you US guys had the pleasure of Ladas back then;)

hotlegs32 05-05-2015 12:53 PM

Graduate Alfa

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like a Fiat to me. And here is a current picture of the known " Graduate Alfa". in my garage in CO. Just got it running again last week. One was destroyed at Portland Raceways way back when. Third car- not a race car- might still be floating around somewhere. I bought this car from Lee Midgley and Bob Griffith in June of 1969. As a race car. It finished second at National Championships at Riverside in 1968 with Lee at the wheel.
Karen Dale Macgowan Alfa West

kcabpilot 05-05-2015 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 6225177)

Having nothing else to do tonight and since it's on Netflix I watched the whole movie. The car after the tunnel is definitely a Fiat and not an Alfa. If you want to check yourself it's at 1:38 or thereabouts.

I've always thought that "The Graduate" as far as Alfa Romeo fame is concerned was overblown. I never saw the movie until it was on late night reruns in the late 70's and we were way into Alfas before that and believe me it had nothing to do with Hollywood.

Wille R. 05-06-2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotlegs32 (Post 6225953)
Looks like a Fiat to me. And here is a current picture of the known " Graduate Alfa". in my garage in CO. Just got it running again last week. One was destroyed at Portland Raceways way back when. Third car- not a race car- might still be floating around somewhere. I bought this car from Lee Midgley and Bob Griffith in June of 1969. As a race car. It finished second at National Championships at Riverside in 1968 with Lee at the wheel.
Karen Dale Macgowan Alfa West

This confirms that there were three Duettos in the movie. I like the idea of racing the Duetto and that you really use it.

Thanks for the information. :smile2: