The Duettos used in the Graduate movie, are they still around? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 01:19 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlegs32 View Post
Looks like a Fiat to me. And here is a current picture of the known " Graduate Alfa". in my garage in CO. Just got it running again last week. One was destroyed at Portland Raceways way back when. Third car- not a race car- might still be floating around somewhere. I bought this car from Lee Midgley and Bob Griffith in June of 1969. As a race car. It finished second at National Championships at Riverside in 1968 with Lee at the wheel.
Karen Dale Macgowan Alfa West
The Duetto you have in the garage, was that the one with license number UOP567?

[B]1967 Roundtail Spider, "Duetto" Mine since 1970. Meno parole, piú Duetto!.[/B]
My [B][COLOR="Red"]Duetto sites [/COLOR][/B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the [B][COLOR="Red"] Duetto Register [/COLOR][/B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
[B][COLOR="Red"] Duettoinfo [/COLOR][/B]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 08:15 AM

I think this is the Second car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post

Of the three cars used, I read (on BB somewhere ages ago) the third was destroyed.
Which leaves the second??
to resurrect an old thread.. A friend has bought a few very old cars from an very elderly couple in coastal Oregon, along with the 20's Packard, early 1900's Auburn, he got a Alpha Duetto, The owner says he bought it new after it was returned to the dealer in Los Angeles post film use. he drove it some and parked it. last registered in 1973, The body is rust / dent free and unmolested. The motor is seized from setting and is being pulled to rebuild.

, I'm looking for any further info to validate the film ties.

ID tag: 10503, have some pics but forum won't allow me to post..
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 09:37 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_Elliott View Post
...have some pics but forum won't allow me to post..
You can attach pictures from your computer's files (use the little paper clip icon) but you can't post links to a photo hosting web site. Sorry, this was done to slow down spammers.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 10:49 AM

Interesting. Do you have the complete VIN also?

[B]1967 Roundtail Spider, "Duetto" Mine since 1970. Meno parole, piú Duetto!.[/B]
and

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:39 AM

ID tag
Attached Images

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 11:43 AM

More Photos

more photos
Attached Images

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 12:18 PM

I suppose, for starts, you could search thru: (maybe see if you can spot the CA plate)
https://www.imcdb.org/

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
VIN would be stamped on firewall to the left of hood latch mechanism.
Should be AR66****
Cheers, Jon

Present:
1967 Spider
1974 GTV (1969 Tribute)
1993 Spider ( project)
2018 Stelvio
Past:
1964 Giulia Sprint. 1966 Giulietta 101 Sprint
1967 Super 1968 GTV 1974 Berlina
1979 Alfetta Mille Miglia 1987 Milano
Non Alfa:
1953 MGTD 1958 TR3 1962 AH 3000 MKII
1969 AMX
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 05:17 PM

Garage
Love the photos of the stickers.. would love to see more, the details (originality) are really interesting. Mine (‘66) has nothing left now.

'66 1600 Duetto | '73 1600 GTJunior | '03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon | '11 Giulietta QV (wow, revelation) | I really don't need this many Alfa's...
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 05:26 PM

I thought it was like a '68 Giulia but you're right looks like a 124 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcabpilot View Post
Having nothing else to do tonight and since it's on Netflix I watched the whole movie. The car after the tunnel is definitely a Fiat and not an Alfa. If you want to check yourself it's at 1:38 or thereabouts.

I've always thought that "The Graduate" as far as Alfa Romeo fame is concerned was overblown. I never saw the movie until it was on late night reruns in the late 70's and we were way into Alfas before that and believe me it had nothing to do with Hollywood.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 06:21 PM

The Vin Number is AR662774
Attached Images

Max Pershyn likes this.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 05:26 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
Love the photos of the stickers.. would love to see more, the details (originality) are really interesting. Mine (‘66) has nothing left now.
@Craig_m67, I can help with pictures of original graphics. PM me and we can hook up offline.

I think only the cars destined for the US got the shift pattern sticker.

Brian __________________________________

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:02 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Wille and I were just discussing this car. I believe the cars in the movies had black license plates. This car has blue ones. Didn't the tags stay with the cars back in those days?

Brian __________________________________

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 03:26 AM

Isn't that dark blu?

and

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 03:54 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Does anyone know what plates were on the car in the movie? Probably some bogus plates that were allowed for filming street scenes.

Oklahoma SNO Alfa Chapter Director
'64/66 Giulia Spider finally back in the garage and painted
'75 Olandase Blu Alfetta Sedan 2.0 & '88 Red Milano Verde; both long gone and dearly missed

Last edited by Raimondo; 10-25-2018 at 04:01 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode