Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Spider Tonneau Cover

20K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  ivan200000 
#1 · (Edited)
Since the subject of whether Alfa did or did not offer a tonneau cover for later model Spiders has come up, I thought it would be helpful to post a picture. This is from the 1986 Alfa Romeo Accessories Catalog.

Best regards,
Enrique

D. Tonneau Cover - Durable reinforced cotton backed weatherproof tonneau. Easy to install, remove or use with only one side open
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Sedan

See less See more
#33 ·
Hey Guido C. (the Sicilian), get yourself an automatic sniping program for ebay. Auctionsniper or esnipe works well. Set you max bid at astronomical levels and it will bid on the auction with 1 second left, thus eliminating any way for someone to counter your bid. You will definitely win more auctions!

#37 ·
Todd,
I will notify the group when this project kicks off. You are also welcome to come over and have a first hand look at this piece. The Spiders are in Middletown for the winter, and I am in NJ, but I will get out there a couple of times during the winter.

Best regards,

#38 ·
Sure, I'll send you a pattern...

Right now the only thing I have is the actual piece that I bought on ebay. Since I'm a firm believer that any time someone does something for the first time, the result is not the best, I will be working with an upholsterer who does this for a living. I don't know how much he will charge for this type of custom work, but I'm sure it will be insignificant, although IIRC his hourly rate is higher than the minimum wage. Since I'm going to present and exchange ideas about how to make this piece easier to install and use, it's probably going to take a little longer to do. (Not sure how much longer, but I'm figuring I'm safe with no less than fifteen minutes.) When the pattern is all worked out, I think the upholsterer will present me with an invoice. (Yes, I know it's weird to expect to pay someone money, but he's a little strange, and he just won't work for free.)

After the pattern is developed, we'll see what materials work best and how much it will cost. By pooling a larger quantity I think we might be able to get a finished piece done for less $$. Yes, I know you are only asking for the pattern, but I just thought I would mention this. Anyway, when you're ready just, send me the address of where you would want this shipped (at my expense, of course), and I'll get it out to you right away.

Best regards,

#42 ·
Unfortunately, it's not of use for this. That's the standard "boot cover" that came with every Quad, and was later retained for the series 4 Veloces. It is larger that the traditional boot cover. The traditional boot covers only the top. This larger style covers the top and a portion of the rear deck. Both boot covers however, do not work with the tonneau, which covers the entire ****pit area. The piece that works with the tonneau cover, has to be shaped like the boots, and yes it would be a bit more similar to the larger boot, but unlike either of the boots, it has a zipper that runs along its width and joins it to the tonneau.

Best regards,

#43 ·
Just chanced across this old thread.

I did not read through every single post, but I can confirm that the 1986 Spider Veloce did in fact come with both the boot cover as well as the tonneau cover that covers the entire ****pit. I know this because I was with my dad at 19 years old when he picked up his brand new champagne gold '86 Spider from the dealer, and because the two covers are still taking up space in my garage today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.