spare Saver - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

spare Saver

I Was Out Shopping With My Wife At A Second Hand Store (one of my wife's "hobbies") This Weekend. They Had A Ford Spare Saver And It Looked Like It Would Fit My Alfa Spider So I Bought It - It Didn't Fit (it was a 4 x 100 lug pattern) But I Went To A Local "pick-n-pull" The Next Day (armed with a measuring tape this time) And Purchased An Unused 4 x 108 Spare Saver (from a late model Ford Focus - it's a 125 x 80 x 15) For $4.25. They Are Pretty Much An Unwanted Item Hence The Cheap Price. I Think I'm Going To Go Back And Buy A Set Of Them So I Have The Ability To Roll A Car Around In The Shop. Of Course This Spare Saver Would Also Fit Gtv's, Berlina's, Supers, etc. (and probably 750 & 101 series cars).

-John
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 03:21 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
It appears it clears the brake calipers - good find.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 03:26 PM

Old news! That must have been mentioned a decade ago on the old Yahoo group. Still, they are good and cheap over here too.

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Platinum Subscriber

There were other Fords with 4x108 wheels. I know a guy who runs Ford wheels on his race car - obviously not the bagels.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 04:21 PM

Garage
One of my sons cars is a Pontiac solstice. It has no spare at all, not even a space for one. The car came from the factory with a can of goop inflater. Seems just about the lightest solution short of carry no protection.

Are there any downsides to this strategy?

Ciao tutti

93 Spider (red)
87 Milano (not red)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 05:37 PM
Platinum Subscriber

With older type tires that had a decent sized sidewall you could easily detect when a tire was deflating. It is not so easy with low profile tires. A few years ago I had a new tire deflate on the interstate and it was destroyed before I realized what was happening and brought it to a safe standstill. A can of inflater would have been useless.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 05:40 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Old news! That must have been mentioned a decade ago on the old Yahoo group. Still, they are good and cheap over here too.
Old news can be good news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo View Post
The car came from the factory with a can of goop inflater. Seems just about the lightest solution short of carry no protection.

Are there any downsides to this strategy?
It might work for a small puncture (nail) but not a major blowout. But it seems as long as you run decent tires in good condition, major tire failures are uncommon.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Registered Member
Gold Subscriber

This year I started winter at what would normally be my post winter weight, and then gained a little weight during the hibernation. Needless to say, the car is going to feel a little slower this Spring, so to offset this gain, I need to remove an equal amount of weight from the car. So.... can you tell me how much that spare weighs?

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
can you tell me how much that spare weighs?
It will depend upon which wheel and what size & model of tire. My original steel wheel with a standard size tire weighs 36# and my Ford mini spare weighs 25#

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 05:50 PM
Registered Member
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
It will depend upon which wheel and what size & model of tire. My original steel wheel with a standard size tire weighs 36# and my Ford mini spare weighs 25#
Thanks.

I have one of those wheels as my spare, with what my memory tells me is likely the original tire (size). 11 lbs!!!

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
11 lbs!!!
That's a lot of cookies (or beer).

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
There were other Fords with 4x108 wheels. .......
The Mustang II had the same 4 by 108 bolt pattern, and the right offset as well. My first set of Minilites were from one.

Robert
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 06:32 PM
I seem to recall reading that the spare is part of the crash protection (such as it is) system. Of course half the time I'm driving without any spare at all so I'm not exactly the poster boy for safety...

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode