is it normal to have hub loose against rotor? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

is it normal to have hub loose against rotor?

Put on new rotor, slid hub on spindle and tightened castle nut per spec. Then backed it out a tad to first castle notch for cotter
Pin. But rotor is still loose. Is this normal? I know once wheel is on and lug nuts tightened rotor should snug up, but just wanted to make sure disc is ok to be loose.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 03:55 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
No. The spindle nut only secures the hub to the spindle. There are 2 screws that hold the rotor to the hub until the wheel is installed & the lug nuts tightened. Those screws may not be strong enough to pull the rotor tightly onto the hub.

Try putting the wheel on, tighten the lug nuts then remove the wheel and tighten up the screws.
Attached Images

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 04:27 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post
There are 2 screws that hold the rotor to the hub...
The first question we should ask: Do you have those screws? Because without them, yes, the rotor will be loose on the hub.

These are the screws labeled "1" on the diagram that ghnl posted above. They are slotted head and about 5mm in diameter.

If you don't have those four screws (2 per side) it isn't the end of the world. The lugnuts will hold the rotor in place. Replacement screws should be available at a hardware store - they're just flathead, metric screws. Maybe someone can post the diameter, pitch and length.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 02-23-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 05:42 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Sometimes you get lucky and one of the holes lines up well with the castellated nut but other times it can only set up the hub too loose or too tight. You can make shims from thin shim stock to go behind the castellated nut if this is your problem

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Wow, you guys set me straight!! Thanks, Eric, Ed, and Jay!! Right, geez, I almost forgot about the two screws!! Yes, I do have them. I will screw them in first, then complete with wheels. What would I do without the buddies here.........
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
Sometimes you get lucky and one of the holes lines up well with the castellated nut but other times it can only set up the hub too loose or too tight. You can make shims from thin shim stock to go behind the castellated nut if this is your problem
Manual says to back out the castle nut 90 degrees or a quarter turn, to first notch. This is after torquing to spec. Agree, people?

87 spider veloce
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 08:01 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Papa Sr View Post
Manual says to back out the castle nut 90 degrees or a quarter turn, to first notch. This is after torquing to spec. Agree, people?
Yes.

As explained above, if you followed the procedure your hub is probably attached to the spindle fine, it's just the disc that's loose on the hub. You can fix that by either putting in the flathead screws, or bolting on the wheel.

The screws are just there to hold the disc to the hub during assembly/disassembly. Once the wheel is on the wheel lugs hold everything together and the screws don't do anything.
alfabeach likes this.

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Papa Sr View Post
I will screw them in first, then complete with wheels. What would I do without the buddies here.........
coat those screws with anti-seize. Don't even bother installing them if you are not going to use it! Having had to drill out one of these lovely vintage flat head screws, I know how painful it can be.
horsewidower likes this.

1976 Alfa spider, with a 1978 2.0L engine and an 1985 rear clip.
Dual Weber carbs.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:34 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
No. Automobile design teams are multi-disciplinary. This solution makes the accountants smile and the engineers cringe. Taper roller bearings should have .001" to .007" end play. !/4 turn of the nut is .015". As a mechanic you can be like the accountant and say it is acceptable or you can be like the engineer and take a step in the direction of perfection.
http://www.timken.com/EN-US/solution...gs_English.pdf

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by alfaparticle; 02-24-2015 at 06:58 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 06:08 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaparticle View Post
Taper roller bearings should have .001" to .007" end play. 1/4 turn of the nut is .012".
Well, which is it? From your link to Timken's instructions:
Quote:
To adjust the setting of this bearing:
Step 1: Tighten the nut while turning the hub. When there is
a slight bind on the bearing, the parts are seated correctly.
Step 2: Back the nut off 1/6 to 1/4 of a turn or sufficiently to
allow .001 to .007 end play.
I suppose the "or" allows a lot of leeway?

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:01 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
I suppose the "or" allows a lot of leeway?
sadly Alfa's adjustment method is insufficiently precise to meet Timken's specification. If the thread was 1.00mm instead of 1.5mm and if there were three holes instead of two, then it would just meet spec.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:14 AM
Platinum Subscriber

alternative solution

One of my racer friends uses these. Tighten it until there is barely perceptible end float then stake it. I prefer the shim method.
Attached Images

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Well, I don't have shims and stuff, so will be happy doing it the way manual says. Car made it ok for 28 years with no race damage so far. I will set it for just a tad of play for the washer, as book says.

That old cotter pin seems too big though, I heard never use an old one so will buy new of course, but debating if I should get slightly smaller one. Had such a bad time sliding out the old one, not sure if it is normal. A new one will be very straight, so should solve my woes.

Big thanks, people.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Cotter pin will not go through the hole, it's super tight and binding, yet castle nut is tight. I tried removing some grease thinking I packed too much and retightened the castle nut but still the cotter pin will not go through.

Should I keep removing grease behind the bearing? Caliper is loose. What could it be?

Thanks!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Figured it out, the inner rubber seal on the hub has a circular spring that's all mangled and getting in the way of the hub seating right. What's the worst that could happen if I remove the mangled spring and put it back together without that spring? The rubber seal has no tears in it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode