Changed starter and S3 won't start - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongju View Post

For a permanent solution, does anyone know where I can purchase a connector for the CTS?
A few years ago I bought several of these:

CONN-85660 GM Delphi / Packard - Bosch EV1 Type Injector Connector Pigtail Push to seat $5.99

From Ballenger Motorsports - High Performance Electronics.

No problems splicing these into the existing harness, soldering, and sealing with shrink wrap. These have the newer type wire retaining clip and are a lot easier to remove and replace than the original connectors.

Rich Hanning
'65 Sprint GT, '78 Spider, '88 Quad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloboy89 View Post
FWIW, I spliced in new connectors on my flywheel sensors with no problems (so far at least). I unbraided about an inch and a half of the braided shielding, wound it together, and connected that to the ground pin.
Those are coaxial cables (as Eric says, like TV antenna cables) and they can be successfully spliced or repaired. Fortunately I was taught how to properly repair coaxial cables while in USN aviation advanced electronics school during the Vietnam War. It has come in handy a few times working on depth sounders on US Coast Guard small craft. And maybe on an Alfa some day.

The trick is to get a good connection on the center conductor and then get 100% circumferance repair on the outer braided shield. Once in a pinch I used a piece of someones lunch sandwich aluminum foil to repair the outer shield on a depth sounder. Definately NOT recommended but it lasted several months until a replacement coax could be ordered in.

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="2"][/SIZE][/FONT]

Robert
various Alfa Romeo Spiders, current 1988 Quad (Red)
various MGs
Various Jaguar
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vf31rhill View Post
Those are coaxial cables (as Eric says, like TV antenna cables) and they can be successfully spliced or repaired. Fortunately I was taught how to properly repair coaxial cables while in USN aviation advanced electronics school during the Vietnam War.
You are correct, they are coaxial cables. To be effective, the outer braided shielding needs to have a voltage applied or be connected to ground. Unlike television cable, however, the flywheel sensors in the Alfa don't use the familiar cable TV coaxial connectors, which provide a conductive connection through the threads. The flywheel sensors have a three-pin connector, so you need to connect the braided shield to the appropriate pin.

A common way to make this connection is exactly as I described -- unbraiding a portion of the shield and connecting it to the pin. In fact, the technique that I used is shown in this photo from the Wikipedia page for coaxial cable:

Rich

'85 Spider Veloce
'17 Giulia Ti Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode