carbs, better than fuel injection? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 12:05 PM

Send a message via MSN to ddouglas77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke58 View Post
I would concentrate on getting the car running to its factory peak performance, then tinker with making the car into a sleeper.
Hey Duke! Sorry, man, carbs or injected, it is an Italian Sports Car, it will NEVER, EVER be a sleeper. The front end looks like a Porsche and the rear end a Ferrari, never, ever be a sleeper. A sleeper is stretching the fenders on a GEO Metro and stuffing in a 400-500hp Chevy 350 with tubbed 12 bolt rear end and powerglide transmission, that is a sleeper, no one would ever see that one coming!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1990 Alfa Camaro Spider Super Sport Special American/Italian Edition. Pizza Burner with Pizzaz!
1974 Chevrolet Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 02:03 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Or a 1974 Pinto with a 351C Boss shoehorned into it.......

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 02:07 PM

SPICA to carbs? OK, I guess.
Bosch to carbs? Completely and totally stoopid.

92 Spider Veloce
71 TwinSpark Spider - Soon to be 4 Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 02:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to ddouglas77
My Geo versus's your pinto for pink slips Stay with the bosch set up, fuel injected is efficient and fun!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1990 Alfa Camaro Spider Super Sport Special American/Italian Edition. Pizza Burner with Pizzaz!
1974 Chevrolet Camaro
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 PM
Gold Subscriber

Life saver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Papa Sr View Post
Carbs are cool, no doubt, but they belong on the cars made with them as stock. You go poking sticks in hornet nest when trying to convert stuff that was not made for that use, as the whole car's systems are typically in balance with that intended system component. Just my perspective.
Joe,

Great comment regarding converting to carbs. Just so happened in the summer of 1969 I passed on a trip to Woodstock but did take up an offer to go water skiing for the day with family friends and did just that - POKED STICKS INTO HORNETS NEST. Ended up I was allergic to the pesky buggers and gave me a 4F deferment from the Vietnam war and changed me life for sure.

Sorry, back to the post. A few years ago I was looking for a project and came across a 1985 spider with 12k original miles, no rust. The only problem the car was swallowed up in the Hurricane Sandy storm surge and was in the Atlantic ocean for a while. I know, I know .....

The Bosch injection system was kicking my a** for quite a while, now with 2 rebuild Webers I will hopefully salvage some seat time this summer. I have a new (pre injection) distributor and will be praying alot. The pistons were seized in the liners so we have new in that department. cams are stock, but we have a pair of Columbo/Barini that may get called into service.

How crazy can this conversion be?
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:22 AM

for Erik, different states may have different regulations here in the US...as for Texas, anything over 25 years of age, doesn't need to conform...

California seems to be the most likely state to have problems w such changes, BUT my car came from California ,its a 74, and previous owner had already converted to Dellorto carburators from SPICA....which I like, ...so it does seem even there its ok....

for Frek....you are doing molto bene parla Inglese!

me, Swedish , but with French /Italian ancestry...plus married to a Colombian and living in Texas , so I mix up quite a bit! my Spanglish is better than my Italian , but my SwEnglish is better... also , eine kleine Deutcsh, et un peu Francois....LOL

1974 Spider (Dellorto carburated)
recent previously: 58 Giulietta, 69 Firebird 400 convertible, 71 TR6, 68 GT6

Last edited by Bjorn S; 07-07-2017 at 07:26 AM.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn S View Post
California seems to be the most likely state to have problems w such changes, BUT my car came from California ,its a 74, and previous owner had already converted to Dellorto carburators from SPICA....which I like, ...so it does seem even there its ok....
Has anyone noticed that this thread is ten years old?

Bjorn: Here in California, pre-1976 cars are smog exempt, so you can get away with converting a '74 from Spica to Dellorto (it is probably illegal, but there's no enforcement).

However, converting a Bosch EFI -era car to carbs would result in a massive fail at the biennial smog inspection.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 07-07-2017 at 11:14 AM.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfajay View Post
Has anyone noticed that this thread is ten years old?

Bjorn: Here in California, pre-1976 cars are smog exempt, so converting a '74 from Spica to Dellorto is OK (it is probably illegal, but there's no enforcement).

However, converting a Bosch EFI -era car to carbs would result in a massive fail at the bi-annual smog inspection.
didn't look as it popped up as "new"...LOL

ok...but here in Texas, no smog check on cars over 25 yrs old, so this year everything older than 1992 model year are exempt as "classic or antique "....cant imagine a 1991 car being considered a classic...LOL

1974 Spider (Dellorto carburated)
recent previously: 58 Giulietta, 69 Firebird 400 convertible, 71 TR6, 68 GT6
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Platinum Subscriber

There is always a way around a regulation.......

Mike
1969 GTV 1750
1966 Super
San Diego, CA

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 12:35 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa69GTV1750 View Post
There is always a way around a regulation.......
Very true, ask any politician
Bjorn S likes this.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 03:49 AM
BMX

Carbs are much better but only when you fit K and N's or a Pipercross.........., have a listen to one and you'll know why

1975 Spider S2
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMX View Post
Carbs are much better but only when you fit K and N's or a Pipercross.........., have a listen to one and you'll know why
So "better" is soley based on induction sound?
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 11:29 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn S View Post
cant imagine a 1991 car being considered a classic...LOL
Since this is a zombie thread I don't mine taking it off topic a little. I've always found this to be a goofy notion. People have some arbitrary year in their head (which tends to vary by year of birth) that is an imaginary dividing line. Any car made after that year can never be a "classic", even 100 years from now.

When I was a teenager in the late '80s anything "interesting" produced before 1970 was considered a "classic" even though they were only around 20 years old. For many people that year or something close to it still remains. Forget the fact that a '91 Spider is 26 years old now and essentially the same car as a '71 except for the addition of power steering, a body kit and some frame reinforcing. Instead remember what Bjorn is saying that an E30 M3 can never be a classic, a Ferrari F40 can never be a classic, a Porsche 959 can never be a classic. Maybe an early Porsche 930 could be but certainly not a later one. It's just a silly attitude.

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce

Last edited by GV27; 07-16-2017 at 11:33 AM.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 12:15 PM
Gold Subscriber

I am a S-2 Spica Spider owner and wonder how much fiddling are required if I were to convert to Carbs? By fiddling, I mean annual fiddling with the carbs. I realize that this would permit European cams but also require replacement of the exhaust manifold with a headers set up for optimal performance gain. Is it worth all the messing around? The solex carb I have on my 101.23 1600 never needs any attention.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 01:39 PM

The carburetors on the '78 Spider and the Sprint GT have required very little annual "fiddling" once properly set up.

Whether or not it is worth the effort depends on your objectives. Carburetors, good cams with a modern lobe design, and a two piece exhaust manifold are fairly low effort modifications that will make a noticeable difference in power. If you decide to proceed, I suggest better cams than the 10548, if that's what you mean by european cams. BTW, I am reasonably certain others have used the 10548 cams in their stock Spica cars without issues.

Rich Hanning
'65 Sprint GT, '78 Spider, '88 Quad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode