i need a diagram. any help here? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Smile i need a diagram. any help here?

on the vacum line in the trunk. where the one way valve goes, and the tank vent( 84 spider)or just the hole vacum line diagram. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 05:31 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
Does this help?
Attached Images

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 09:15 PM

If you still need info, I can post a picture this weekend.

Bill C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

ghnl. yes it helps. thank you very much..
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 12:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Geo4
Recent experience.

I had been having problems whenever I opened the fuel filler cap - a powerful rush of air. And "oil can" noises as the summer heat set in. Not a good thing.

When I removed the expansion tank from the trunk area (4 in the diagram) I found that the flow direction on the air inlet valve (2) was into the system (as it should be), and the check valve (3) was also flowing into the expansion tank. In other words, air can come into the tank, but it can't get out until you open the fuel filler cap. I turned the check valve around to allow excess pressure to flow to the canister (12), and in-tank pressure has been all but eliminated.

Any idea why anyone would fool with this? I've only owned the car for a year, and I didn't do anything until I became concerned that my gas tank would pop over the summer months. What are the chances that this was done at the factory? The PO didn't seem the type to do lots of unnecessary meddling with things were apparently working well.

Kinda makes you go "Hmmmmmm".

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Geo.
Monroe, GA
89 Spider Graduate
60 Triumph TR3
73 Triumph GT6 Mk3
03 Mazda MPV dog hauler
91 Nissan King Cab parts hauler[/FONT][/COLOR]
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 12:20 PM

the hose labled #7 is the fresh air line to supply air to the tank. it goes to the intake manafold or on older cars to the oil breather then to the oil vapro seperator and then to the air filter. if this line plugs up, the tank can pressurise. mine did.
cliff
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo4 View Post
I had been having problems whenever I opened the fuel filler cap - a powerful rush of air. And "oil can" noises as the summer heat set in. Not a good thing.

When I removed the expansion tank from the trunk area (4 in the diagram) I found that the flow direction on the air inlet valve (2) was into the system (as it should be), and the check valve (3) was also flowing into the expansion tank. In other words, air can come into the tank, but it can't get out until you open the fuel filler cap. I turned the check valve around to allow excess pressure to flow to the canister (12), and in-tank pressure has been all but eliminated.

Any idea why anyone would fool with this? I've only owned the car for a year, and I didn't do anything until I became concerned that my gas tank would pop over the summer months. What are the chances that this was done at the factory? The PO didn't seem the type to do lots of unnecessary meddling with things were apparently working well.

Kinda makes you go "Hmmmmmm".
I had a similar problem with my 93 series 4. I was getting fuel odour something fierce and the tank was pressurizing. The check valve had been installed backwards at the factory! The previous two owners noticed the problem but didn't correct it

Maybe my car was made on a Monday or Friday..

Allan Darling
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 07:24 PM
BB Janitor

Garage
The one-way valve and the air inlet vent can also get gummed up. Squirt some carb cleaner into them to make sure they work properly.

Use caution - don't get that stuff in your eyes.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

a question.. which way do'es the arrow on the check valve( it's really hard to type with 'thalia' music on, listening to 'seduccio'n' on the p.c.now.. trying to type with the beat..lol..)from what i can see the check valve is downstream form the air inlet valve( arrow on the check valve pointing to thee motor)upon running the motor this would creat a vaccum and open up the ceck valve then the iar inlet valve, letting in false air..so do'eds the arrow on the check valve point to the motor or to the fuel tank? thanks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 10:17 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Inline check valve arrow points toward engine, that way vacuum from the canister (via engine vacuum) can draw vapors up to the canister for filtering/intake feeding yet prevent reversionary flow of vapor and liquid fuel from the canister to trunk in the event of a rollover.

The principle is to get vapors from the tank which would otherwise drift into the atmosphere and introduce them to the vacuum stream so they can be burned off with the rest of the regularly inducted air/fuel mixture.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

as hosted by

&
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 06:53 AM
BB Janitor

Garage
It's a little hard to see on the picture above, here's a close up: note the arrows drawn in the sketch of the hoses.
Attached Images

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 08:09 AM

Pictures; their worth some words.

This is probably the only part of the car not ripped by the PO.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode