1987 Spider fuse/relay panel + Power windows - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

1987 Spider fuse/relay panel + Power windows

Hello everyone

I'm trouble-shooting a non-starting condition on my 87 Veloce along with a power window problem....

While looking in the fuse/relay panel I see that some fuses are 16-amp, some 8-amp..How many are 16-amp fuses??? which fuses correspond to which locations??

a) is there another relay for the power windows under the dash besides the ones in the fuse panel?

b) is there a MANUAL way to raise the window without power to the motor??

c) I have 5 (five) relays on my relay panel - 3 on top and 2 on the bottom row....What are the 2 relays on the bottom control?? one of them is red....I know of the 2 extra relays near the fuel ECU which control the fuel pumps....Are relay positions 2, 5, 6 in the relay panel supposed to be empty??

d) Can anyone post a photo of the fuse/relay panel for an 87-89 Spider??

Thanks for your help - VK

Last edited by goyal99; 11-19-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 02:38 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

For relays in your panel, click here.

The fuse designations and trouble shooting the no-start are around here somewhere too in this and/or the electrical subsection.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link Tifosi....although my 87 fuse panel looks different (I have the ceramic type fuses)...Here's mine:

I also found another relay which is attached along the kick-panel wall on the driver's side...The photo of it is below:

What is this relay for?? -

I also found a few loose wires (2 Black wires not attached to anything) outside the fuse panel (look at the photo in my album).

If anyone knows what these wires are connected to please post it here....Thanks

Photos of my 87 Spider are here:

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ider%20Veloce/

Thanks for your time - VK

Last edited by goyal99; 11-19-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 04:30 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
Black wires are most likely grounds. On our '84 Spider there are 3 or 4 such black wires that are grounded under a screw head in the left side of the dash right in front of the door's A-pillar. It is near the fuse box - if you moved those loose wires straight up I suspect that's were they'd reach.

There is a special tool made to manually crank the windows. I believe it originally was in the tool kit. I haven't seen one, though.

Below is a snip from an excellent, color-coded wire diagram that fellow BB member PapJam makes. I believe your '87 is quite similar to our '84. Send him a PM and he'll forward you a copy. It is well worth his asking price (free).
Attached Images

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

Last edited by ghnl; 11-19-2006 at 04:36 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Eric...

I will check like you said on the 2 Black wires....one of them looks like it could be a Ground wire but the other is not - it looks like the male plug-in type wire so it might be for the courtesy light on the driver's side foot well....Here's the the photo:

will investigate more tomorrow - Thanks again
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:46 AM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyal99 View Post
although my 87 fuse panel looks different (I have the ceramic type fuses)...Here's mine
That's not an issue.

The locations/designations/assignments for the fuses and relays are the same through the S3 series (prolly the S4's too) regardless of the actual kind of fuse used. (there's even an upgrade panel you can buy to convert to the new minifuses if you'd rather have them)

Dunno about that mystery box up in back right off.

Oh, and looking at your bottom pic, you really need to clean and free up those door activated contacts.

1 operates the curtesy lights and the 2nd operates the 'hey your keys are still in the ignition, so where are you going?' buzzer.

The mystery wire with the blade type connector may actually be for one of those contacts as they function by making ground contact when the door is open. PO may have unhooked it when the switches stopped working.

The one with the hoop end is almost definitely one of the wires that gets screwed to the dash end per Eric's description.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

as hosted by

&

Last edited by Tifosi; 11-20-2006 at 09:51 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 09:10 AM

rfx,
Nothing wrong in trying to advertise your hard top, but you probably didn't realize that you were doing it in someone else's thread, about a completely unrelated topic... Please consider moving your advertisment...
Best regards,

Enrique
[SIZE="1"]Spider 74, 84 & 87
Milano 88 Verde
164 91S, 93L & 95Q[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[B][FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/RIGHT][/FONT][/B]
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyal99 View Post
Thanks for the link Tifosi....although my 87 fuse panel looks different (I have the ceramic type fuses)...Here's mine:

I also found another relay which is attached along the kick-panel wall on the driver's side...The photo of it is below:

What is this relay for?? -

I also found a few loose wires (2 Black wires not attached to anything) outside the fuse panel (look at the photo in my album).

If anyone knows what these wires are connected to please post it here....Thanks

Photos of my 87 Spider are here:

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ider%20Veloce/

Thanks for your time - VK
Did anyone know what relay that is under the dash? Mine is missing. Bringing this thread back!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=triz;8470632]Did anyone know what relay that is under the dash? Mine is missing. Bringing this thread back![/Q

If you're talking about the red relay in the fuse block, it's for your power windows. I12 in the owners manual.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:10 PM

No. I was taking about the relay that sits way under the dash posted above.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode