What the TRUNK?! ...lid.. - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

What the TRUNK?! ...lid..

The left side of my trunk lid is elevated... I can't get it to sit properly. It doesn't seem to be an issue with the rubber stoppers, as the stopper doesn't even hit the body..

I had to use spacers to get the plate light to stay on (otherwise it would only turn on when I hit bumps)

Anyone go through anything similar? It doesn't seem to be bent, and the other side is good.

1976 Alfa spider, with a 1978 2.0L engine and an 1985 rear clip.
Dual Weber carbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 07:43 PM

Location: Beacon, NY which is in Dutchess County...the Hudson Valley. I'm about an hour and a half North of NYC.
Mine is similar! I don't let it bother me but it does. I always figured that the bond between the inner metal reinforcing parts had let go from the outer skin but never looked into it further. or possible a hinge adjustment.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 08:17 PM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberAdministratorSuper Moderator

Garage
There are two torsion bars that help counter the weight of the lid. Since these torsion bars are adjustable it is possible the one on the left side has too much tension.

Be careful if you try to adjust the bars. There is a lot of energy stored in them. Leverage is your friend - use a pipe as long as will fit to move the as a handle to move the end of the torsion bar to a different slot.

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl View Post

Be careful if you try to adjust the bars. There is a lot of energy stored in them. Leverage is your friend - use a pipe as long as will fit to move the as a handle to move the end of the torsion bar to a different slot.
Wow! I didn't even know there were slots! I'll need to check tomorrow to see if they are at the same level. Thanks for the heads up ghnl!

A previous thread said to look at the hinge adjustment bolts through the carpet side of the rear bulkhead, but to be honest - I didn't see any when I looked. Of course, I missed the adjustment slots, so there goes that credibility...

Quick question, what happens if I loosen this bolt:

Can I then push the left arm downwards a bit? I'm guessing that just a small downward push may bring the trunk lid back in line. Are there two bolts up there like the Roundtail?

Dual Weber carbs.

Last edited by MNVXer; 04-10-2014 at 08:56 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:49 PM

if it short, and pops out.. might not be able to put it back in, try the more finesse way.. bend the lid..with your hands..

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

So I was able to check it out tonight. The driver's side torsion spring was set to a higher level (towards the back of the car) than the passenger side. Unfortunatley, adjusting the spring to level 2 or even just letting the bar free did not lower the lid any. I wonder if it has anything to do with the lid coming free of the ribbing... Upsetting! =)

Dual Weber carbs.

Tags
lid, strange, trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode