!988 Quadrifoglio Seatbelts - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

!988 Quadrifoglio Seatbelts

Hello all-

I usually hang around the GTV6 forum as I have a 1983 example. I am looking at a 1988 Spider Quadrifoglio for possible purchase, but it only has the upper shoulder belts that run from the inside upper seat tops to the floor. I understand that the car has a motorized seat belt system so my question is, can I just buy a pair of lap belts and use what appear to be some existing bolt holes? None of the electrics appear to be working but I don't mind using the belts manually as long as it is safe to do so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Steve Allison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:44 PM
Registered Member
Gold Subscriber

I don't have the motorized belts in my 87 Quad, but my cousin does in his 88 Veloce, so I have some familiarity with them (although his too are not fully functional and I am slowly trying to get his sorted out).

If you can find a set of adjustable lap belts that have a buckle of the appropriate size to fit the fixed latch, and an anchor plate on the other end, you should be good. The belt/latch is straight forward, and anchor plate can be bolted to the existing tether points just in front of the spooled belts coming out of the parcel tray. Given the height of that anchor point and how low the fixed latch, it may fit more like a belly belt instead of a lap belt.

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
You don't need a lap belt. The system was designed so you didn't need one. You could get a lap style belt from alfa back when the cars were new. But it was intended to only be used to strap down a baby or small childs seat. It hooked into the manual latch on the side.

There are seat belt anchor nuts in the tunnel were the latches on the regular belts bolted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. Jim, just so I am clear, are you saying that the single belt across the shoulder to the left hip is all the protection Alfa designed in to the system? It would seem that in a head on collision you might twist out from under the belt as your unrestrained right hip was displaced forward. I don't mean to doubt you but I just want to be sure i understand what you are saying. Thanks again.

Regards

Steve
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 04:23 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaAgain View Post
Thanks for the help guys. Jim, just so I am clear, are you saying that the single belt across the shoulder to the left hip is all the protection Alfa designed in to the system? It would seem that in a head on collision you might twist out from under the belt as your unrestrained right hip was displaced forward. I don't mean to doubt you but I just want to be sure i understand what you are saying. Thanks again.

Regards

Steve
Yes. That's the way it was designed. I was working at the alfa dealers on these cars at the time they came out. It must work because it had to meet the crash standards of the day.

My mother bought a new spider that had the system and it never worked right from day one. Even after I replaced every component of the system including the complete car wiring harness. Alfa had to start using a passive restraint system because of federal laws. The system was so bad for not working and fiat had bought them the year before they only used the system for 6 months then went back to regular seat belts. They lowered the total number of cars imported each year to get around the passive restraint laws until 91 when they put an air bag in the cars. Alfa bought a few cars back where owners pressed the safety issue of it not working. Those cars went back to italy.

My mothers car I converted back to the regular seat belts. I'm fixing to do it to an 88 quad I bought. I'm going to do a write up here on the BB about it. Probably sometime this summer.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 07:51 AM

I bought an 88 Quad about 5 yrs ago. It had the passive restraints. They didnt work anymore but fo a while i used them manually; I absolutely felt naked with the 2 point system. I was able to purchase a full manual belt setup from someone who parted an 86 Quad. I converted the car to manual. It is doable but Alfa changed a whole lot of stuff on the passive restraint cars. Search here on the BB as I posted pictures several years ago from the conversion. Some of the changes you will encounter from no PR cars are below:
-different seats although they look very similar to Quad seats including shoulder seat belt holders
-no brackets in parcel tray for manual seat belt reels
-welded in center bracket in parcel tray to mount center console and reels
-carpeted metal inserts on the rocker panels covering the rails all of which can be unbolted/unscrewed but will leave holes in carpeting
-motor covers and rear drape carpet different
-fuel control and ignition control unit mountings different
-different tachometer
-a few other mods...

THe most difficult part if converting to original manual reels is mounting them and then having a scheme to route them up to the seats. I had brackets fabricated for this purpose.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the information. I, too, felt naked when test driving the car which is why I thought there was a lap belt missing. As Jim said, the system must work if it met the U.S. safety requirements but I think I would still feel uneasy....

Steve
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 01:31 PM

Hey guys, how does this system work? I've only seen pictures on the BB of the motorized part in the parcel area. Is there something between the seats that puts the belt over the driver's shoulder? They can't be similar to the early 90s era motorized belts in Japanese cars, right?

1976 Alfa spider, with a 1978 2.0L engine and an 1985 rear clip.
Dual Weber carbs.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 01:32 PM

Actually those motorized belts do require that you buckle the lap belt to be fully functional. The motorized shoulder belt was designed as an automatic seat belt system for those people that have no intention of buckling up. You will submarine under the shoulder belt without that lap belt buckled; about as safe as not being belted in!

I just purchase a 3-point manually adjustable system from these people for another early Seventies car and am quite quite happy with them:

Buy Replacement Seatbelts, Seat Belts, Retractable Seat Belts, and Seatbelt Extenders @ SeatBeltsPlus.co

I would think that you could retro fit their fully retracting belts to the Spider, you just have to make sure that the retractor is mounted vertically under the shoulder belt loop and feed as is done on new cars.

1983 Spider Veloce, 1987 Milano Platinum (sold), 1974 Spider Veloce (sold), 1973 Ford Ranchero, Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflow View Post
Actually those motorized belts do require that you buckle the lap belt to be fully functional. The motorized shoulder belt was designed as an automatic seat belt system for those people that have no intention of buckling up. You will submarine under the shoulder belt without that lap belt buckled; about as safe as not being belted in!
On the spider. The system did not come with lap belts. On the japanese cars they had a lap belt you had to buckle.

You pretty much have to do everything that spiderholly said to convert the system.

Like I said in an earlier post. I'm going to change an 88 quad back to the manual seat belt system and I will do a good thread with a list on how to convert the system.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:02 PM

how do i know if there broken or just disabled seatbelsts

I have 88 Quad. where can I find wiring info to see if the seatbelt motors were bad or just disabled.?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Registered Member
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloom42 View Post
I have 88 Quad. where can I find wiring info to see if the seatbelt motors were bad or just disabled.?
If you send me your email address I will send you a pdf of the manual for the system. Considering its size, I'm doubtful I'd be able to post it in this thread.

Mike

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:13 PM
Registered Member
Gold Subscriber

Nevermind, here it is!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Motorized Seat Belt Manual.pdf (3.12 MB, 239 views)

Mike

'87 Quadrifoglio
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 01:11 AM

Thanks mike. I missed your response.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode