Rear end worn out? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rear end worn out?

I need a little advice -
I am swapping my Duetto brakes from Dunlop to ATE. I have front spindles, etc, new MC and calipers, and I need to decide on the rear end.

I have this spare '78 Spider sitting around, and it looks like my son and I will not have time to bring it back to life. It has 160-some thousand miles. Should I pull that rear axle assembly for use on the Duetto? It's not running now, so I can't listen to it. Just how 'bulletproof' are these rear ends like I always hear? Then I have a parts car on jacks to get rid of.

Better to sell or give away the '78 and buy a lower mileage (hard to verify) rear end from Centerline or APE, etc? I have a rear ss bumper & front grill and new belly pan for the '78 as we began switching it to the old look.

(I will also try a post in the classifieds to see if there's any interest in it.)

Thanks -

1967 1600 Spider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 01:26 PM

Hi Mike,

I'll bet there are folks out there that would be happy to swap a usable rear end for that stainless bumper. I've got a couple of rear ends I'd like to get $150 for and your bumper is probably worth twice that but I'm on the east coast. I'd hate to see a restorable car parted out but being in Montana I don't know how easy it will be to find someone to take on an Alfa project. You're right though, yank the rear and the '78 becomes just an immovable parts car. I like your idea of giving it a try in the classifieds first.

Bill Sinclair
67 Duetto
69 Berlina project
67 Super future project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode