Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Rear end worn out?

947 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bill S 
#1 ·
I need a little advice -
I am swapping my Duetto brakes from Dunlop to ATE. I have front spindles, etc, new MC and calipers, and I need to decide on the rear end.

I have this spare '78 Spider sitting around, and it looks like my son and I will not have time to bring it back to life. It has 160-some thousand miles. Should I pull that rear axle assembly for use on the Duetto? It's not running now, so I can't listen to it. Just how 'bulletproof' are these rear ends like I always hear? Then I have a parts car on jacks to get rid of.

Better to sell or give away the '78 and buy a lower mileage (hard to verify) rear end from Centerline or APE, etc? I have a rear ss bumper & front grill and new belly pan for the '78 as we began switching it to the old look.

(I will also try a post in the classifieds to see if there's any interest in it.)

Thanks -

#2 ·
Hi Mike,

I'll bet there are folks out there that would be happy to swap a usable rear end for that stainless bumper. I've got a couple of rear ends I'd like to get $150 for and your bumper is probably worth twice that but I'm on the east coast. I'd hate to see a restorable car parted out but being in Montana I don't know how easy it will be to find someone to take on an Alfa project. You're right though, yank the rear and the '78 becomes just an immovable parts car. I like your idea of giving it a try in the classifieds first.

Bill Sinclair
67 Duetto
69 Berlina project
67 Super future project

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.