VVT mounting - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

VVT mounting

Trying to figure out why the VVT is mounted with rubber? Anyone know if I make a brass bushing will it cause heat transfer (limit the life of the solenoid)or electrical problems? I really can't believe the thin rubber mounting provided much and wonder what the engineers reasoning was when they designed the mount. Maybe limited life for the component? The aluminum holder could have been cast with enough meat that it could have been threaded to the M27X1 thread...

As I told John M in another thread- I tried to adjust mine during a distributor cap/rotor change, it disintegrated into a mushy, oily mixture and I'm left without the VVT. I've been riding my bicycle to work and we're getting record amounts of rainfall here in Albuquerque.

I did learn that the car will run OK without the VVT, but there is definitely not as much pull when I floor it, which is how I drive 95% of the time...

Any advice is appreciated as I begin setting up to make a brass threaded bushing.

Duke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 01:00 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

If you want pull and dont mind a lumpy idle, you can remove the shot VVT mount and cobble some means of keeping the pin that goes through the cam cover pressed in, (not a lot of pressure though), which in turn will fool the cam end of things into advancing like the VVT is there and on.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Tifosi-

Thanks for the reply. I can machine a brass bushing with the correct M27X1 threaded internally so that I can screw and adjust the VVT solenoid into the holder as it should be.

My question is if anyone knows if doing this would cause too much heat on the solenoid causing it to fail? I don't think the original rubber mounting provided that much insulation- if at all.

I think I'll just have to try it and see what happens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 02:20 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to John M Send a message via Yahoo to John M
If it works.....make me one too!!!!

Best Regards,
John M

[SIZE="1"]

1978 AR Spider Veloce 2000....the first and still here...Bianco
1984 AR Spider Veloce............the second & gone to the parts bin....Rosso
1992 AR Spider Veloce............the third and still here...Bianco
1991 AR 164L........................the fourth and traded on the SS....Rosso
1965 AR Sprint Speciale..........the fifth...in boxes....sold....Bianco
1978 AR Spider Veloce 2000....the sixth gone to be a parts car...slow black
1967 AR Giulia Sprint GT.........the seventh with Gregg and sold......Rosso
1993 AR Spider Veloce............the eighth with Gregg and still here....Verde Inglese
1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi.............the first and still here....Azzurro
1999 Ferrari 355F1 Spider........the second and still here....TdF Blue[/SIZE]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke58
My question is if anyone knows if doing this would cause too much heat on the solenoid causing it to fail?
For myself, I'm more of the mind that it's to dampen the engine vibration so the internal windings or contacts in the solinoid don't break down.

If not vibration but an actual heat issue, (does anyone know for sure as I'm curious also), you might get away with the solid mount and mabe a small 'scoop' mounted on 1-2 of the water pump studs so as to direct a bit of the fan airflow up toward it. (though it's vable it already does that now as the front of the engine is pretty flat and that air has to dissipate in some direction or another)

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

as hosted by

&
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

John M-

I made two. Send me a PM and I'll mail it to you.

Duke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode