Help keeping the exhaust out while driving - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Help keeping the exhaust out while driving

Can I get your thoughts on keeping the exhaust smell behind the car when driving instead of it somehow blowing forward into the drivers seat.

Thanks in advance.

On another note: Like to show you a photo of my spider with a unique set of Alfa Star wheels manufactured in Australia. They are 15x7 with 225x55s and really make the handling a treat. I can't figure out how to post photos to this site, but would certainly send you an email attachment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 05:26 AM

the trunk (boot) rubber seal helps a lot, also, some people install speakers in the area behind the seats, if there is a leak from the trunk through the speaker holes, it will smell. check for exhaust leaks and on some models, the exhaust tip must be turned down or stick out far enough.
cliff
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 03:24 PM

I've owned mine for a couple of years now, and the exhaust smell has been my only ongoing issue.

Others have recommended, and I've tried the following:

1. Replacing the trunk seal as previously stated.
2. Making sure the seals on the license plate lights are tight.
3. Changed the ANSA straight exhaust tip, to a down turned tip (this had a noticable impact).
4. Sealed the access points for the rear shocks with a closed cell foam.
5. Examined trunk for any pin holes or other leak areas and seal (I had a couple of friction holes in the spare wheel well.

Having done that, I still have some fumes from time to time. But my clothes don't smell after a 10 minute ride (or 5 hour).

Good luck,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:34 PM

Just worked on this very problem on my dad's 71. The exhaust outlet dumped just at the bumper. I'm wondering if all square tails have a tendency to allow exhaust to swirl over the top of the trunk. That exhaust then must be caught in the vortex air we all feel beating our heads when at speed and gives wonderfull smell of exhaust.

Our solution was to extend the stinger about four inches beyond the bumper and turn the outlet down towards the ground.

Problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Chet
1982 spider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Platinum Subscriber

I think the logical progression should be to:
First check for leaks at headers/downpipes/mufflers..

second, get the exhaust AWAY from the trunk/cabin with a proper exhaust tip, it should protrude and turn downward.

If fumes persist, THEN start sealing the trunk-tailights-cabin.

Hopefully that will save you some time and money, as it doesn't make sense changing things that don't need to be fixed.

'62 Giulietta spider --- '74 spider rolling chassis--- '64 Giulia Ti --- '6o's DUCATi 250cc cafe racer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 09:19 AM

Check the inside of your trunk lid. My 74 spider had obvious signs of blackened exhaust. Ordered a trunk gasket. I would do this first before troubleshooting other areas.

Cheers,
JAKE
74 SPIDER
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 01:22 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to GV27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viintage61
On another note: Like to show you a photo of my spider with a unique set of Alfa Star wheels manufactured in Australia. They are 15x7 with 225x55s and really make the handling a treat. I can't figure out how to post photos to this site, but would certainly send you an email attachment.
You can send them to me and I'll post them. [email protected]

Chris

1990 Spider Veloce
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Admin
Administrator

Might be related but maybee not.

Do you have any open holes in your firewall. I know my car had some fumes coming into the cabin. I originally thought they were from the exhaust. I ended up putting metal tape on a bunch of open holes in my firewall and no more fumes.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Simon Mestas
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:07 PM

How about Round Tail Spiders?
I have the same problem with the exhaust smell or to be truthful my wife has a problem with the smell. " You smell like car" she will say as I come in after a drive or just from working on the car. I think women have a better sense of smell.

I have been thinking about an out and down exhaust tip but how far out to go? Too far and I will smash my leg on it for sure. Maybe one of those huge tips the kids put on the Hondas would work.:rolleyes

[SIZE="2"]David Munro[/SIZE]
Toronto ON Canada
1969 Spider JR Twin Spark
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:33 PM

Had bad exhaust fumes, mostly with the top up, when I first got my spider. A new Magnaflow cat & exhaust system with a 6" turn-down tip solved the problem. You might want to check for leaks at the manifold on back - just a small one can be pretty smelly.

Ciao bello...
Doug T.

[I]"Dang' - that thing's got a HEMI!" [/I]
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode