Connecting an iPod to a radio - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to flamebero Send a message via MSN to flamebero
Connecting an iPod to a radio

I'd like to know if anyone knows a cheep way to connect an iPod to the radio withought buying any of the crazy tape or radio frequency adapters. Is there an input on the back of any of these things? I'd check for myself, but my car isn't home yet.

'78 Spider
'86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 09:53 PM
1966-2013
Platinum Subscriber

If you've got any kind of input option on your stereo, I suppose you could cobble up a headphone harness to connect from one to the other.

Like ipod to headphone harness to RCA jacks to CD in on the deck for example.

Darren
'84 manufacture ~ '85 MY Spider Graduate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

as hosted by

&
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to flamebero Send a message via MSN to flamebero
It's an olllld deck. A 78, I assume, Pioneer.

'78 Spider
'86 GTV6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 11:20 PM

There is a cheap, easy way. Google "ipod car radio"

Ian Cameron, 1980 Spider
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 08:48 AM

Google will give you thirty-six million links, and none are cheaper and easier than the FM transmitters, which work in low broadcast density areas but aren't very good on road trips or in big cities.

Having looked at this issue for the last few years, I have to say that the easiest and cheapest good solution is to replace your stereo with one that has an iPod interface already built in, or at least an aux input. Somehow or another you have to get the signal into the radio before the amplifier stage, and that has to be built into the deck. That's why FM transmitters and cassette adapters are popular for older stereos that didn't anticipate auxilary input devices.

Tim

Tim

Current: '78 spider with dual Webers and lots of smiles.
Former: '86 Spider that now lives a mere 30 miles away.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:00 AM

If you have a cassette you can purchase a cassette adapter that plugs into the tape slot and your Ipod. Works great and I've seen them for as low as $6. I have this one http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=153161

Best Regards,
Randy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:23 AM

You won't find an aux input on the back of an old radio. What you might consider is connecting an ipod directly to a external amplifier. This would bypass your radio completely and allow you to use your ipod with the car speakers. Of course, in the usual 'mouse and cookie' addage, you would need to ad a speaker switch to select your indash stereo or the ipod.

I use my ipod, via an aux cable and input, in my Z4 and my Pathfider...not the alfa as I just don't want to mess with the indash stereo.

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Don - 1984 Spider Veloce[/FONT]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:25 AM

By the way, even though you don't like it, the cassette adapter is a very high quality way to interface to the car stereo and by far the easiest of options.

The electrical transfer between to the tape head if near perfect as far as frequency response is concerned. No tape hiss either as there is no moving parts.

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Don - 1984 Spider Veloce[/FONT]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:51 AM

I momentarily forgot about the cassette adapters. They are cheaper and easier, and better than FM transmitters. But in my case, I have an Alpine deck with a CD player, so the cassette adapter isn't even in the picture.

Tim

Tim

Current: '78 spider with dual Webers and lots of smiles.
Former: '86 Spider that now lives a mere 30 miles away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode