Turbinas on a 71' Spider? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Turbinas on a 71' Spider?

Hey Guys,

Will Turbinas fit on a 71' Spider? I've heard that the bolt studs may be shorter on the earlier spiders...is that true?

Cheers!

'69 1750 GTV - XC70 Q4
'88 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 09:06 PM

Garage
I don't know if this helps, but the PO put Exip alloys on my car. I doubt he replaced the studs, as they've got left-hand-thread studs and nuts on the left side. Best bet would be to find out how much thread they require, and measure what you've got.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Gold Subscriber

Yes, I've replaced the stock wheels on my '69 and ex-'71 Spiders with both Campagnolo and Chromodora turbine-style mags. Yes, the studs have to be replaced with longer ones. I replaced the left sided studs with the right-handed ones, so they will all use the same nuts. However, make sure that no one tries to remove the left side wheels by turning the nuts clockwise, or you might have abroken stud on your hands. If you keep a spare tire on the stock steel wheel, make sure you keep the original lug nuts to use with it; the mag-style lug nuts will not seat all the way on the longer studs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Platinum Subscriber

The left/right thread is not the issue really; it's that 1750s have short studs like 1600s. This is because they used thin stamped wheels with no "sombrero", whereas 2000s have the sombrero hub cap and corresponding longer stud and nut, but mainly because Turbinas, being cast, are a lot thicker than steel wheels. You really need the longer 2000 wheel stud to have enough nut threads biting on the stud. People put Turbinas on the shorter studs, but you get only 3-4 threads holding it on. I wouldn't do it.
Andrew

Andrew
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Platinum SubscriberModerator

Turbinas on a '71

Everything that others have written is true - '71's, being the last of the 105 series, have shorter studs, with LH threads on the LH side. So yea, to mount Turbinas you will need to get longer studs from a later car.

I hate to start a "holy war", but why would you want to put turbinas on a 71? Those stock steel wheels with the little hubcaps are things of beauty. Their delicate look blends nicely with the small chrome bumpers on the early Kamm tailed cars. In my opinion, Turbinas are much less attractive. And, hard to clean. To me, they look very 1970's. Kind of like disco, they are something from that era that hasn't aged all that well.

If you must run aluminum wheels, go with Cromadora Daytonas.

OK, let the flames begin.

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, CA

'63 Guilia spider
'65 Guilia Sprint GT
'67 Duetto
'91 164L

Last edited by Alfajay; 06-21-2006 at 08:32 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 09:31 AM

Turbinas

I put turbinas on my 1972 GTV and had no problems. Did not have to install longer studs.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 09:36 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I'm not crazy about Turbinas myself, though I did have them on a 2000 Berlina, but I can't see a lot of difference in how they look on a 71 compared to a 72 Spider, other than knowing the 71 Spider didn't come with them. And missing the great steelies and hubcaps.

Your 72 GTV must be some kind of anomoly, or someone changed its studs. The stock 2000 studs are plenty long enough for Turbinas. I still say the short studs are not safe with typical-thickness mags; I tried putting Turbinas on a TI 20 years ago and could get the nut on only 3-4 threads, which I felt was not enough for safety.

Andrew
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 10:04 AM

Turbinas

Maybe I should follow up with an inspection of the wheels. I have had them on for about 8 years with no problem. Who knows. There could be a dangerous situation that I am not aware of.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode