Question about removing top - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Question about removing top

All,
I have an 86 graduate that the top and rear window is torn. I plan on replacing it (maybe next year), but in the mean time I'd like to remove the top and the frame. Is there any harm in doing so and leaving it off for 6-8 months?
The car is not running yet as I am replacing all the vacuum hoses with silicone ones.

Best Regards,
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 07:53 PM

no issues.....

I replaced numerous spider tops, albeit years ago. There are the hinge bolts and a plethora of perimeter nuts that secure the back of the top around the base. Don't be surprised if the perimeter studs are badly rusted and some may have to be replaced. Since you are discarding the old top, feel free to remove it. Also clean up or repair any rust in the perimeter tray just below the perimeter studs. Clean up and rust proof the perimeter studs, in the mean time.

There must be a thread on top replacement somewhere....a novice can do it WITH mentor advise.

Good luck;

Mike pate
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 01:34 AM

While there are not any problems with taking it off what is the hurry? Just put it down and forget about it. I say this because it is helpful in putting it on to have just taken the parts off (you know where they go). If you take the top off now and go back 6 months to a year from now and try and put it all togeather you will have lost your reference points (not to mention any salvagable parts).

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]86 Alfa Graduate
86 Ferrari Testarosa
89 Maserati Bi Turbo Spyder
00 Range Rover Land Rover[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:47 AM

When you do remove the bolts from the hinge, watch were they drop. I lost one in the drain line just behind the passenger side hinge in my 87 a couple of years ago. That was OK because I had a spare from the new (to me) frame I installed, but I never did clear the drain line. Since I sold the car, I guess that makes me a DPO.

M

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode